Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to make a long story short i was loading a long piece of metal pipe into my 2005 malibu maxx and not paying attention totally screwed up my entire gauge cluster. I have been trying to look up wether i can just buy one out of a junk car and my mileage will stay the same or if i need to search around for one with close to my miles. my car has 45000 on it and i dont wanna put a cluster in with a bunch more miles, that and i came across one thing that said it may not even work until i have it hooked up to gm scanner? please help i need to fix this asap i cant hardly see how fast im going or how much gas i have.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Actually, with the new GM vehicles, the mileage is stored in the ECU. Whenever you connect that new cluster that you get at a junkyard, the newer of the information from the computer in the PCM will be updated onto the cluster. No need to get it programmed or anything along those lines. Unlike old cars, it is not stored where you can just roll it back or modify it from the cluster.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The mileage is stored in the BCM not the ECU (PCM). From the Service Manual:
Odometer
The vehicle miles are calculated and stored electronically in the body control module (BCM). The BCM calculates and stores the mileage based on the vehicle speed message delivered from the powertrain control module (PCM). The instrument panel cluster (IPC) displays the odometer information sent from the BCM over GMLAN. The odometer will display 'error' if an internal IPC memory failure is detected or if there is a GMLAN communication fault between the PCM and the BCM.

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
agreed, also you may have to do a reflash of the IPC if you get one from a doner vehicle. not a problem related to mileage, but just an update. sometimes older vehicles parts dont have the newest programming as what a newer vehicle would have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
To simplify:

The mileage data is stored in computer memory, NOT the display.

Change the display panel and all will be good.

Please do so with the battery disconnected for safety... Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.