Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

It is just starting to get real cold here in Chicago and lately I am having ice build up in either small or very large amounts in the inside of my windshield. I read that it could be from the snow coming onto the mats, but I keep them pretty dry.

I am going to ask the dealership to see if their might be some type of air leak or something. Any other suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, I've never encountered that in the winter before. You must have a good break in the windshield weatherstripping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what, the other day I was taking off ice from the front of my windshield, and I knocked that strip thats right next to the windshield wipers and the actual windshield. It was really icy and I think I may have damaged it when getting the ice off the windshield.

I am going to ask the dealer to fix it...but Im not telling the dealer what I did! haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to the dealer and they are going to look at it for me this week, I will keep you updated with the answer.

I dont keep it in a garage, I just leave it outside. I have read if you have a lot of moisture on your feet, that it is possible for your car to do that on the inside. I tested it out last night by leaving the window cracked a little bit after it being very warm and no ice formed on it this morning....so I think the problem is on my end and not the car.

Because this car is awesome! So i doubt anything is wrong. haha

·
Registered
36 Posts
2009 2lt malibu, I keep it in a garage heated to 40 degrees, when about zero in the morning and take it out, I can watch Jack frost crawl from the top down about 1 inch every 15 seconds, kind of neat to watch it grow, then the engine warms up and defrost takes over and it crawls back the other way. Kind of the same issue? Must just be the shape or tilt of windshield.

On another note, what happens to the ice or moisture that is going to form on the sunroof??? where doe it go??? is there a drain on it??

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it is probably from the moisture on the floor. It used to happen in my old car now and then. You get in the car and have the heat blowing on the floor. It melts the stuff off your feet onto/into the carpet and continues to warm. You get out of the car and the warm water in the carpet evaporates and then condenses and freezes on the cold windshield. You come out in the morning and see the ice all over the inside of the window. That would be my guess anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make sure you are NOT in recirculating mode with your vent system.

Also, turn on your AC which will remove moisture faster from the interior (but obviously keep the temp in the red zone!).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Make sure you are NOT in recirculating mode with your vent system.

Also, turn on your AC which will remove moisture faster from the interior (but obviously keep the temp in the red zone!).
The compressor will not turn on when the temperature is that low. When the system is in Defrost mode the compressor is turned on if the outside temp is high enough. Ice on the windshield is caused by a couple different factors. If it is real cold the moisture in your breath is enough to cause some icing on the inside of the windshield. The more people you have in th car the worse it can get. The other thing that can cause it is a light snow fall that gets snow into the inlet areas of the HVAC system. If there is no snow the best solution is to turn on the defroster with the blower set at max. If there is snow on the vent inlets clean the snow away as the defroster will suck it into the system and it will blow onto the windshield. As the heater core starts to warm up the snow evaporates and the moisture is blown on the cold windshield where it freezes. It will not reverse itself until the heater core gets very hot and it will take some time to melt the stuff off the windshield. I don't know of a car where this can be avoided unless it has an electrically heated windshield.

Bill

·
Registered
139 Posts
The compressor will not turn on when the temperature is that low. When the system is in Defrost mode the compressor is turned on if the outside temp is high enough. Ice on the windshield is caused by a couple different factors. If it is real cold the moisture in your breath is enough to cause some icing on the inside of the windshield. The more people you have in th car the worse it can get. The other thing that can cause it is a light snow fall that gets snow into the inlet areas of the HVAC system. If there is no snow the best solution is to turn on the defroster with the blower set at max. If there is snow on the vent inlets clean the snow away as the defroster will suck it into the system and it will blow onto the windshield. As the heater core starts to warm up the snow evaporates and the moisture is blown on the cold windshield where it freezes. It will not reverse itself until the heater core gets very hot and it will take some time to melt the stuff off the windshield. I don't know of a car where this can be avoided unless it has an electrically heated windshield.

Bill
Ive been able to do it with other cars Ive had, including our Honda Pilot and a Chev Equinox. In fact, I recall reading in owner's manuals that this is effective in removing inside moisture.

I havent had to use it in the Malibu so I'll take your word that the Malibu's system is different.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ive been able to do it with other cars Ive had, including our Honda Pilot and a Chev Equinox. In fact, I recall reading in owner's manuals that this is effective in removing inside moisture.

I havent had to use it in the Malibu so I'll take your word that the Malibu's system is different.
you can run the AC compressor in freezing temps. i have an 09 malibu, and if you push the AC button, the compressor comes on. it also comes on when you turn th knob to defrost. they have done this for years, our 96 blazer, 96 lesabre, and 98 dodge all do this, its so that the compressor gets run, and lubricated so that it doesnt all dry up, and have a short life span, and ruin the seals from not being used all winter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
you can run the AC compressor in freezing temps. i have an 09 malibu, and if you push the AC button, the compressor comes on. it also comes on when you turn th knob to defrost. they have done this for years, our 96 blazer, 96 lesabre, and 98 dodge all do this, its so that the compressor gets run, and lubricated so that it doesnt all dry up, and have a short life span, and ruin the seals from not being used all winter.

Actually the AC compressor comes on with the defrost mode to control humidty inside the car, heat dries out air, with the AC compressor it keep the air humid enough so the windows don't fog up. Don't believe me, try this then, turn your heater on and hit the recirculate button then watch as the windows fog up cause of the drier air coming from the HVAC system then turn it to defrost, it should take it to fresh air on it's own and turn on the AC compressor. My Malibu, even though it's eight years old will not allow me to put the HVAC system on recirculate while in defrost mode.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone!

I had an appoitment for my dealer yesterday but decided to cancel based on the information from you guys. It turns out that I did not have the AC on and I also had it on recirculate all the time. I now turn the AC on and make sure not to have recirculate on.

Needless to say, there has not been a bit of ice anywhere on the inside of the windshield the past four days! I want to thank everyone for their help, this saved a lot of time :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone!

I had an appoitment for my dealer yesterday but decided to cancel based on the information from you guys. It turns out that I did not have the AC on and I also had it on recirculate all the time. I now turn the AC on and make sure not to have recirculate on.

Needless to say, there has not been a bit of ice anywhere on the inside of the windshield the past four days! I want to thank everyone for their help, this saved a lot of time :D
Great that we could help!!

Recirc is great on initial start up in cold weather if you are not in the car because it reuses the interior air which generally is warmer and therefore heats up faster. Once you get in the car, switch it to fresh air to keep moisture (like your breath) from freezing on the windshield.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thug-Had it happen to me today. It was about 7 degrees outside and had to drive to northern Ohio. When I had the heat set to dash and foot blower I got a 3 inch wide strip of ice on the inside of the windshield from the driver's side pillar to the middle of the windshield along the bottom. I did not have the recirculating air on. I switched to defrost and it went away. On the trip back I tried the same setting but it did not freeze up again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thats good that it didnt freeze up again! Yesterday I was afraid that it was going to have a lot of ice because in Chicago it snowed a lot and it was extremely cold.. but none at all, these tips really helped out a lot

·
Registered
749 Posts
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you live in a cold climate, always start with the selector on defrost or heat/defrost until your car warms up and can heat your windshield.

Once it heats up, then you can switch the selector to vent etc.

If it fogs up, switch it back.

Also, if you have more than one person in the car and there's alot of talking, keep it on defrost all the time especially in this cold weather we are having.

·
Registered
472 Posts

No car in the world will allow the compressor to run below a certain ambient temperature. That temperature is usually in the high 30s if you are using the Farenheit system. This is determined by the low side pressure in the A/C system. The low side pressure varies with temperature and when it falls below a set point (24-30 psi on GM cars) a switch opens the clutch on the compressor or on very old GM cars (earlier than the mid 70s) they would vary the pressure so the compressor never turned off. If they did not do this the evaporator would freeze over and the system would be clogged with ice.

Bill

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.