Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some idling issues on my Malibu (among other things!) and after a bit of research it appears that it is probably a bad/dirty IAC. So I want to replace it, but would like to know if this is something fairly simple to access. I've seen photos of the location for other cars online, but don't have anything visual I can look at to locate it on my car.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
What engine do you have the 2.2 eco or the 3.4? If it's the 3.4 you may be able to clean the MAF and sensor and that may help. Go to www.grandamgt.com/forum and post the question (even search).

Here's a quick search result This is on a 3.4.

And another .

·
Registered
6 Posts
the only engine available in a 2000-03 malibu was the 3100 v6. the IAC valve is pretty easy to access and take out. mounted right on the throttle body with two T-20 torx screws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it was an easy replace, but it didn't fix the problem. Let me explain it here and see if anyone has a clue was to what is going on.

The car was running fine. We moved, and spent an entire month doing a lot of highway driving. Near the end of the move, the car started to sound louder, engine-wise.

It sounded like it was straining, but there were no pickup issues (you gun it, it goes) and there were no gas mileage issues.

When it hits 40mph, that's when it gets loudest. After 50mph it's a bit "less stressed" but still is loud. It runs at 2RPM.

We replaced the IAC and it seemed to be a little better. RPMs went to 1 - 1.5. But, that didn't fix the problem. It is still "straining" and we're not sure where to go next. The engine light has never come on. any thoughts?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Interesting thing about the engine option. I thought the malibu was the same platform as the Grand Am/Alero. Oh well. I have no idea what else could be causing you issues, but I would still clean the MAF screen and sensor and see if that helps. Also, hit up grandamgt.com/forum. There are tons of people with tons of knowledge.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm gonna mention a couple of sites you might go to, there's one memeber that's on there regularly that could answer your problem and give you a run down on possible things to correct this issue, www.unitedmalibus.com and www.mpracing.org/forum . One problem though is that you need to be a little more precise in explaining this issue or make a video and post it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting thing about the engine option. I thought the malibu was the same platform as the Grand Am/Alero. Oh well. I have no idea what else could be causing you issues, but I would still clean the MAF screen and sensor and see if that helps. Also, hit up grandamgt.com/forum. There are tons of people with tons of knowledge.
Yes, the malibu still does share the "N" platform with the grand am/alero/cutlass. grand am/alero are slightly different from malibu/cutlass though. I'm sure I could have worded that better but you get what I'm saying I hope.

OP: try unitedmalibus.com. good site there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, it was an easy replace, but it didn't fix the problem. Let me explain it here and see if anyone has a clue was to what is going on.

The car was running fine. We moved, and spent an entire month doing a lot of highway driving. Near the end of the move, the car started to sound louder, engine-wise.

It sounded like it was straining, but there were no pickup issues (you gun it, it goes) and there were no gas mileage issues.

When it hits 40mph, that's when it gets loudest. After 50mph it's a bit "less stressed" but still is loud. It runs at 2RPM.

We replaced the IAC and it seemed to be a little better. RPMs went to 1 - 1.5. But, that didn't fix the problem. It is still "straining" and we're not sure where to go next. The engine light has never come on. any thoughts?
I know I am replying to an old thread here but I joined in hopes to get in contact with GalFriday to see if there was a fix to this issue. I am experiencing the same exact problem with mine and it just seems that the car has poor acceleration, almost like brake drag or something. It also has loud engine noise as it would if there was no intake resonator. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful for any advice... thanks!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,196 Posts
Have your cat checked. A little flow and it's no problem, but more engine speed needs more air and that's when a clogged/clogging cat will start to change the performance of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have your cat checked. A little flow and it's no problem, but more engine speed needs more air and that's when a clogged/clogging cat will start to change the performance of the car.
Thats a good idea... I will take it to the shop and have them test it as soon as I get a chance. Do you think that would account for the louder engine noise? Also, a little thing I noticed is that when I put the car in gear, the rpms do not change. Just about every car I have driven drops the rpms slightly when it goes into gear. I took it to a trans shop and they said it shouldnt be anything to worry about as far as the transmission goes but it still bugs me. Wondering if anyone has had that happen before...

·
ASE Certified Technician
3,072 Posts
Thats a good idea... I will take it to the shop and have them test it as soon as I get a chance. Do you think that would account for the louder engine noise? Also, a little thing I noticed is that when I put the car in gear, the rpms do not change. Just about every car I have driven drops the rpms slightly when it goes into gear. I took it to a trans shop and they said it shouldnt be anything to worry about as far as the transmission goes but it still bugs me. Wondering if anyone has had that happen before...
If the cat is restricted, you get a noise that changes with the amount of throttle you give it. Noise would sound like it's coming from the air filter housing area. Late model cars and trucks do not see much if any drop in RPM when shifted from park/neutral to any gear. Back in the era of yor car, the IAC would open a few counts, now the throttle plate may open ever so slightly as there is no IAC on new cars for the most part. Also there is not as much drag on the engine when put into gear at idle as trans line pressure is much lower now than 20 years ago. The pressure control solenoid will keep pressure low until there's input like TPS to indicate the driver wants to go then line pressure is increased. This is done to help with fuel economy as far as I know. If you put a late model car in drive and compare it to a 20 or 30 year old car, you'll notice the older car will move faster at idle with no throttle input after you release the brake than the newer car does. Some new cars don't move at all until you press the accelerator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the cat is restricted, you get a noise that changes with the amount of throttle you give it. Noise would sound like it's coming from the air filter housing area. Late model cars and trucks do not see much if any drop in RPM when shifted from park/neutral to any gear. Back in the era of yor car, the IAC would open a few counts, now the throttle plate may open ever so slightly as there is no IAC on new cars for the most part. Also there is not as much drag on the engine when put into gear at idle as trans line pressure is much lower now than 20 years ago. The pressure control solenoid will keep pressure low until there's input like TPS to indicate the driver wants to go then line pressure is increased. This is done to help with fuel economy as far as I know. If you put a late model car in drive and compare it to a 20 or 30 year old car, you'll notice the older car will move faster at idle with no throttle input after you release the brake than the newer car does. Some new cars don't move at all until you press the accelerator.
Good call on the cat making that type of noise in the engine... that is exactly where the noise is coming from. It sounds as if the resonator was removed from the intake and the noise makes it seem as if there is engine drag but not a complete lack of power. From a stop, it seems like it takes a bit more throttle than it should to get going. I just got this car a few weeks ago so I chalked it up to it being how these cars run, but I test drove someone elses Malibu... it was a 2001 I believe... and his did what cars normally do and drops the rpms ever so slightly but you can feel the gears engage. Mine feels like it hasnt even gone into gear but if you push the throttle it moves. Theres no slippage, its got enough fluid... I may be worrying myself over nothing, but I just want to be sure I wont make an existing problem worse if there is one. I really appreciate your input too. Thank you!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.