Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a huge loss right now. I really hope that I just missed a step or overlooked something simple. For months now it was slowly getting harder and harder to start my car, 2004 Malibu Classic. You could get the car started but really had to wiggle the key around to get it passed the OFF position. I drove it like that for a long time but finally got tired and bought a new lock cylinder. I read into the process for a couple days so I thought it wasn't too hard and went for it. Taking it off was simple. Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery then began working on the inside. Put the key in the ON position and moved the shifter to Neutral. Took off the black plastic bezel surrounding the radio then the three screws holding the radio. Pulled out the radio and disconnected the antenna and radio cables. Then with the key still in the ON position I was able to pull out the cylinder after pressing in the release tab. So far so good. Put in the new cylinder and was able to turn the key to every position smoothly. My next step was to re-connect to battery and start the re-learn process but I noticed that the shifter was still in neutral so I moved it to Park and took out the key. I then re-connected the radio and the battery. Lights turn on and car makes it's normal chirping noises but for some reason I cannot move the key at all, it's just stuck in the OFF position. I also noticed that the brake seems to be a pressed down a little bit. The shifter is also stuck in the Park and does not move at all. I thought about pulling out the whole ignition switch but cannot because the transmission cable doesn't come out unless the key cylinder is in the ON position. The other connection on top, three wires - white, yellow and black, doesn't come off unless the cylinder is off. Obviously I can't move the cylinder to the ON position so I cannot remove those cables. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to be detailed. I hope someone can give me a hand anything would help right now. FYI, I never had any issues with the THEFT light coming out before like I've seen many other people having. I've also read about a possible solution that involves drilling out the spring on the cylinder, but I really don't want to do that considering it's brand new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also have a issue, where my 03 Malibu ignition is stuck in off, steering wheel doesn't lock and I can't tell if it is fully in park, help!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,653 Posts
@Jspeaks72

It could be that the interlock cable (between shifter and ignition) needs adjusted or replaced.

Other than that, it may be time to replace the switch and tumbler, which comes as 2 separate parts but takes the same amount of effort to do one or the other, so you might as well do both and be done with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That be nice but currently my vehicle is in a restaurant parking lot. And the key won't change from the off position
@Jspeaks72

It could be that the interlock cable (between shifter and ignition) needs adjusted or replaced.

Other than that, it may be time to replace the switch and tumbler, which comes as 2 separate parts but takes the same amount of effort to do one or the other, so you might as well do both and be done with it.

·
Administrator
17,653 Posts
If you need to move the car, can it be driven elsewhere so you can deal with the issue with the key in a better location?

To make sure it's in Park, put it in Reverse and let it engage the gear, then put it in Park and carefully lift your foot from the brake. If it doesn't roll anywhere, then open the door and stick your left foot out and try moving it. If it doesn't then set the parking brake and rest assured that you've done what you can.

If you have to park it on any kind of incline, turn the wheels to the right for downhill or the left for uphill. Double-check with local authorities to be sure that counsel is correct. The intent is to keep the car from rolling straight downhill if something fails to keep it in its place, and to block the wheels against the curb before it moves very far at all.

·
Administrator
17,653 Posts
There should be an emergency shifter release. It may be behind a small cover or hole in the top face or side of the shifter console. This will release the shifter from Park and allow the vehicle to be rolled.

With the key locked in the Off position, the steering might be locked. I'm not sure when steering locks were removed. My '97 Grand Prix had one, my '09 Malibu didn't. That's a 12-year span, but it happened somewhere during that time.

·
Administrator
17,653 Posts
You may not have a steering lock on that car, then.

You need to move it, so I suggest concentrating on getting it out of Park. Worst case scenario is to disconnect the cable from the shifter or transmission and manipulate it yourself.

·
Administrator
17,653 Posts
Still won't move even fully disconnected ?☹
The shifter won't move after disconnecting the ignition, or the trans won't move after disconnecting the cable from the shifter?

I always prefer knowing, too, but if what you do fixes it, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Is that a Frisch's Big Boy or a Bob's Big Boy? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bob's I think, and haven't got to that point just want to be able to start the car, so that's what my entire focus has been on, and removed the ignition and the key still won't budge it, I've banged it as much as I could to attempt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts