Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long time reader, first time poster. :grin:

2017 Malibu Premier

I was able to get my hands on an Illuminated Bow Tie (official, not eBay crap) and I wanted to wire it into the headlights, so that when they turn on, the bow tie lights up. Does anyone know which wire on the headlight harness would accomplish this? I tried searching for a wiring diagram, but I cannot find one unfortunately. The connector on the passenger side uses an 8 pin design (two rows, 4 on 4), but only uses 6 pins in the actual connection.

Once I have it installed, I will post pictures.

I did attach two pictures of the actual bow tie. I was able to light with two leads coming from a 9 volt battery.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
There should be at least 2, if not 3, grounds among those 6 wires. You should be able to use a test light, a straight pin, or a paper clip to probe where the wires enter the plug(s). The parking lights are usually a brown wire if you want the bowtie to light up with them, or you can probe for the low beams.

If you want the bowtie to light up no matter which lights are on, find the parking lights, low beams, and high beams (omitting the turn signals) and attach a diode to each one (banded end away from the wires), then join the 3 banded ends and attach to your bowtie Positive wire and then ground the other wire. Then, if the high beams are flashed, or the lows are on (if they turn on for DRL), or the parking lights are on, the bowtie will also be on. What the diodes do is keep each of those circuits from turning on the others while still allowing the bowtie to turn on.

I'd like to encourage you to head on over to the New Member Intro area and introduce yourself officially, but welcome nonetheless! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got around to hooking this thing up, since I had to replace the front grille anyway. I modified a wire harness that I already had and created a pigtail. Since the low beams and high beams are the same bulb, I only had to find which wire was the hot. It ended up being the yellow wire. The bowtie stays on for both low and high beams, so it's pretty cool looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
On my "other" car I have rear centre brake light access by removing two screws outside on the light cover and all the wiring is right there

In my "other" car I installed a unit that causes the brake light to rapidly pulse off and on about 5-6 times during initial brake pressure and then goes to a steady brake light if brakes are maintained.

Now...... on my 2016 Malibu LT the only access I see to the centre brake light and wiring is through the headliner above the back of the rear seat.

Does anyone know of another access point for the wiring of the centre brake light on the 2016 Malibu LT ???
t

·
Administrator
18,733 Posts
On my "other" car I have rear centre brake light access by removing two screws outside on the light cover and all the wiring is right there

In my "other" car I installed a unit that causes the brake light to rapidly pulse off and on about 5-6 times during initial brake pressure and then goes to a steady brake light if brakes are maintained.

Now...... on my 2016 Malibu LT the only access I see to the centre brake light and wiring is through the headliner above the back of the rear seat.

Does anyone know of another access point for the wiring of the centre brake light on the 2016 Malibu LT ???
t
If you're not squeamish about wiring, use a wiring schematic to find where the CHMSL wire goes from the BCM to the back of the car. If it's like my Gen7, it'll be a separate wire from the "other" brake lights. (See what I did there? ;)) Since my pulser has the ability to be programmed, I installed it in the end of the dash by opening the door and removing the cover on the side of the dash. Then I put a small switch in there and ran a pair of wires up the A-pillar to an LED so I can see it flash the programming code. The CHMSL works perfectly and it's installed completely inside the car, plus it's in a convenient location. The wire I needed runs under the door sill cover in a huge harness/loom. I found the right wire pretty quickly using a set of schematics for the Gen7.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're not squeamish about wiring, use a wiring schematic to find where the CHMSL wire goes from the BCM to the back of the car. If it's like my Gen7, it'll be a separate wire from the "other" brake lights. (See what I did there? ;)) Since my pulser has the ability to be programmed, I installed it in the end of the dash by opening the door and removing the cover on the side of the dash. Then I put a small switch in there and ran a pair of wires up the A-pillar to an LED so I can see it flash the programming code. The CHMSL works perfectly and it's installed completely inside the car, plus it's in a convenient location. The wire I needed runs under the door sill cover in a huge harness/loom. I found the right wire pretty quickly using a set of schematics for the Gen7.

Alrighty !!! I know where the BCM is but still looking for a wiring diagram for the 2016 Malibu LT.....is the 2016 Gen 8 or Gen 9 (Does it look like I am new to this kind of chatter??:wink:

PS...I saw what you did there.....:grin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I finally got around to hooking this thing up, since I had to replace the front grille anyway. I modified a wire harness that I already had and created a pigtail. Since the low beams and high beams are the same bulb, I only had to find which wire was the hot. It ended up being the yellow wire. The bowtie stays on for both low and high beams, so it's pretty cool looking.

You did have to modify the bumper to get the emblem to fit correct? Is the new emblem the same size and shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks awesome only wish they had a plug-and-play version for our model year I also have a 2017 Malibu Premier

·
Administrator
18,733 Posts
Alrighty !!! I know where the BCM is but still looking for a wiring diagram for the 2016 Malibu LT.....is the 2016 Gen 8 or Gen 9 (Does it look like I am new to this kind of chatter??:wink:

PS...I saw what you did there.....:grin:
2016 was a dual-generation year. The model called "Limited" is actually a 2015 hold-over built as a 2016 model for tax purposes. The "real" Gen9 is just a 2016 Malibu.

Use Google or your favorite search engine to see if you can find electrical schematics. Some years back I came across a site that seemed to offer them for free. I wish I could recall who they were.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Where would I be able to find one of these? And how much would they cost??
This one will fit. It's listed for the Camaro but it is the same shape and size.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...Q0eaEHTgHp4cnWqup3CdfhheE1KtPpMxoC_UMQAvD_BwE

You did have to modify the bumper to get the emblem to fit correct? Is the new emblem the same size and shape?

The only mod to the front fascia was that I had to drill a small hole behind the badge for the electrical connection. When the badge is on, there is no way of seeing it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you buy the Camaro version of the bowtie or the new 2019 Malibu version

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow!!! That looks so great! you are a genius! I wish I could do that!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts