Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using the walmart.com website to check on oil filter prices for my 2016 Malibu Limited 2.5L and of course the walmart.com site has two different suggestion tools. Two different tools means there is a chance of contradiction, and naturally, contradictions are found. I got one tool by searching for "fram oil filter" which links to the product guide walmart.fram.com website which recommends the XG12060 Ultra filter with a bypass valve rating of 19 to 25 psi. Meanwhile, the product fit checker at the walmart.com site recommended the XG10060 filter which has a bypass valve rating of 9 to 15 psi. Has the walmart site been selling the wrong filter to all the 2016 Malibu and 2016 Malibu Limited customers?

Well, each product page also lists some cars the filters are used in. With that in mind, the XG10060 page at walmart.com lists its use in the 2008-2012 Malibu models with 3.6L engines, but certainly not for the later generations. Thus, even walmart's own product page says that its product fit selection tool is in error. I guess the lesson is to crosscheck your oil and air filter selections before purchasing.

XG10060:

XG12060:

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
So true. I find Amazon equally inconsistent in their selector.

Throw in to that the 2016 Malibu and 2016 Malibu Limited confusion. Every person in that data entry chain - from mfg to fram to distributor to walmart - needs to make sure they are including the "Limited" differentiation and not confusing the LT with "Limited" when supplying product fitment data. In my model year (2016 Malibu) it specifies UPF64R. As of three weeks ago GM was still specifying that filter. There is a bulletin for 2016-2017 that says PF64 can be substituted. However, that same bulletin was later revised to add the wording "replace with 12674698 at next service". That's one of the part numbers for UPF64R. Having more fun, the seemingly suitable and more common PF64 has undergone a change in the last 9 months. The new PF64 is shorter and about 40g lighter. Over at bobistheoil guy it received the cut treatment and appears to be a mix between the cheap "e" filters and the old PF64.

Best bet is to check your manual or the mfg website of the brand you prefer then search retail sites for the part number. Specialty sites like rockauto and gmpartsdirect tend to be more accurate but when GM can't even make up their mind it puts others in a tough spot.

·
Super Moderator
4,662 Posts
Are you kidding me? They're selling a crappier filter with the same PF64 designation on it? I've been buying those freaking things for my wife's Cruze thinking "it's not PF64e so it's still good quality."

Guess it's time to swear off ACDelco filters because I can't trust their manufacturing at all anymore. WIX and Mobil 1 from here on out. Damn that aggravates me.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
They still call both PF64 and the "new" one is mostly all that's available now. They did differentiate via GM part number. Still, different internal and external construction. Exterior pics attached, looking for the bobs thread but not seeing what I remember.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
All I use are Wix or Fram XG filters. I saw the BITOG post the on the AC filters a while ago on the E filters and crossed AC filters off my list.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think that this change of the official ACDelco filter to a cheaper version also corresponds to why the Fram XG12060 with 19-25 psi rating was changed to be XG10060 with 9 to 15 psi rating at sites such as wal-mart.com and autozone.com? I am guessing that the cheaper version also has less burst strength in the filter media and so the bypass filter will have a correspondingly lower value such as 9 to 15 psi before it opens up to relieve pressure on the filter media as well as allow for oil to flow through.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the media was changed to be cheaper, then it could have a hole punched in it from all the start/stop pulses of oil unless the bypass valve was lowered from 25psi max to be 15psi max. Thus, if the pulse was too much, the bypass valve would open and not let the pressure across the filter media get too high to punch a hole in the cheaper media.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
@Meow

"IF"??? In one sentence, you went from "if" to "it could".

The bypass valve is the difference between [the oil pressure going in] and [the oil pressure going out], not just the oil pressure itself.

When the engine starts cold, the oil is thicker and will be a greater challenge to any medium than when it's hot.

Pulse? What pulse?

The pressure from the oil pump doesn't suddenly jump from 0 to whatever; it changes with the engine speed, which changes at a statistically slower rate than that of computers or valves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@Meow
Pulse? What pulse?
The pressure from the oil pump doesn't suddenly jump from 0 to whatever; it changes with the engine speed, which changes at a statistically slower rate than that of computers or valves.
I was thinking about the physics of the oil moving in the galleries. After the engine temporarily stops because the car is at the stop sign, the warmed up oil begins to flow down out of the galleries and everywhere else. Those spaces formerly filled with oil are replaced by air pockets. When the engine is restarted, I thought the oil pump starts once again as I assumed it was not an electric oil pump that is continuously on with the engine in temporary stop mode. Through all those air pockets, the advancing warm oil front races through the air easily, thus for that short period of time before all the air pockets are filled once again with moving oil, there is an exxaggeratedly higher amount of oil moving forwards through the oil pump and thus through the oil filter. This situation could thus resemble a pressure pulse to the oil filter media.

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
If the filter is that cheap, I'm gettin' my money back, and so should anyone else!

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I was thinking about the physics of the oil moving in the galleries. After the engine temporarily stops because the car is at the stop sign, the warmed up oil begins to flow down out of the galleries and everywhere else. Those spaces formerly filled with oil are replaced by air pockets. When the engine is restarted, I thought the oil pump starts once again as I assumed it was not an electric oil pump that is continuously on with the engine in temporary stop mode. Through all those air pockets, the advancing warm oil front races through the air easily, thus for that short period of time before all the air pockets are filled once again with moving oil, there is an exxaggeratedly higher amount of oil moving forwards through the oil pump and thus through the oil filter. This situation could thus resemble a pressure pulse to the oil filter media.
That's what the bypass is for. To protect filter media and insure oil flow, no different than a sub zero cold start.. Engine oil galleries do not drain down that fast but they do drain. Another reason I only use full synth. oils and top rated filters that will handle these variables. I have my auto stops disabled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts