Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
On a different note (I missed some of the discussion), post #14 brought up some pretty good points. For a lot of reasons, there is nothing quite like a well tuned v8. I also have a special liking to the great big block engines from the muscle era. You don't know or could quite appreciate acceleration and torque until you are in the passenger seat of a hot car at WOT, and you are literally being pushed back into the seat of it holding on for dear life. This is what its like in a car with a big block engine, and thats one of my fond memories of my youth.

With that said, Chevy and the other makes have rebounded quite well from the terrible seventies and eighties when v8 power went anemic. You have v8s now that can pin you into the seat, and literally take your breath like the old cars. The difference is that the newer cars are years ahead of the old cars in efficiency and reliability. The new cars will perform almost seamlessly, and will calm down to pedestrian limits instantaneously, and start up again like nothing happened. Its a great time to have a performance Chevy, Ford or Mopar.

I wouldn't turn your back on some of Chevy's other offerings either, such as our Turbos. They are very docile, yet these cars are quick......far quicker than all of the fwd Malibus up to this point. In fact, the Turbo is quicker than more than a couple of the heavier hitting performance cars of the past. Its no slouch; Its just that its quiet and efficient so that it can seem like its not doing anything.

Way way off of the topic; I know. Reliability and quality have greatly improved from the past as well. Problems may still occur, but are less common than I've experienced with the older cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmmm you are right, its still too much oil. You want to determine why its using oil, so that you can decide what to do. A small amount of oil (granted if its been using oil to this time) is ok, but a quart at 1k isn't good in my sight, especially for a modern engine.

Try the different oil brands/grade, and see what you get.
n.y
I have a 2015 turbo Malibu and since August its had oil consumption issues. This seemed to start manifesting itself roughly in August (strangely along with a noise issue that is the subject of the previous post). I do not have any leaks anywhere. I don't see oil spray underneath the car. Its been in the dealer and I get the same BS line about 1 qt in 2000 miles as normal. There actually is a bulletin on this (01-06-01-011I). Yes, its high mileage, I'm just over 98k miles. I drive ~100 per day. GM says this is considered aggressive use and my usage is not unheard of in this time frame and the use isn't covered. The dealership started a consumption test on the car, and in the past 1000 miles I had to add over a quart of oil. At this point, GM and the dealer are saying that there is nothing they can do. The way I see it is I had NO OIL ISSUES until this past August, when I got my first low oil warning. Now, with the miles I put on, I will need to add a quart every week to 2 weeks.

I'm taking it to another service place I trust and see what they find on Friday. Based on the results there, I will most likely call the customer support line and see what they can do.

Yes, I realize it has higher mileage. I've been changing the oil whenever the OLM said to. I have the records from the oil change place. However, as I said this started in August. Something changed. I'm afraid that if I ignore it like the dealer/GM says, I"ll have a broke engine in a bit and no recourse.

Has anyone else had similar oil consumption issues?
I drive a 2013 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L I4 LCV. I've had two oil changes since I bought the car last August and one of the things I noticed is that roughly just over 2,000 miles from the oil change, I've had the low oil pressure sensor light come on, and when I've checked the oil I've had to add about 2 qts of oil to it. But when I first bought the car it had 130k, the first 3,000 miles I put on it I had no issues, I use the recommended oil, 5w 20 Dexos Valvoline. I stumbled upon this forum wondering if anyone was having similar issues as I am. But the next time I get an oil change I'm going to have them run a diagnostic on the oil system to see if there is some kind of malfunction happening. Cause I'm burning through 2 qts with no oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
At your mileage I would step up to 5w-30 oil.
I have never used 5w-20 in any make or brand of vehicle of mine that specified it, Fords or GM, always went to 5w-30.
Previous owner probably was using higher weight of oil, you had no way of knowing what was in it when you acquired it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
n.y

I drive a 2013 Chevy Malibu LS 2.5L I4 LCV. I've had two oil changes since I bought the car last August and one of the things I noticed is that roughly just over 2,000 miles from the oil change, I've had the low oil pressure sensor light come on, and when I've checked the oil I've had to add about 2 qts of oil to it. But when I first bought the car it had 130k, the first 3,000 miles I put on it I had no issues, I use the recommended oil, 5w 20 Dexos Valvoline. I stumbled upon this forum wondering if anyone was having similar issues as I am. But the next time I get an oil change I'm going to have them run a diagnostic on the oil system to see if there is some kind of malfunction happening. Cause I'm burning through 2 qts with no oil leaks.
I have had the same issue for a few years. It started around 50K and I might have caused it by using conventional oil when getting the oil changed. My LS1 engine had no problem running conventional for a year and changing after 5-7.5K, so I figured all cars would be the same. I also noticed that pepboys and firestone were using 5w30 I think. Maybe this would have happened anyway if I was using 5w20 synthetic the whole time. I will never know. Now I only use 5w20 synthetic and it has not gotten worse. Car seems fine. Runs the trifecta tune now with no issues that I can tell. Still burns a quart every 1k, but it is what it is I suppose.

Maybe you can try running a good and thin 5w30 synthetic. You don't want to go too thick though because these Direct Injection engine have tight tolerances from what I understand and the VVTs need a thinner oil to operate properly, and the oil has to get up there.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
Consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is way, way too much. You'd be wise to keep chasing that issue till you figure it out. Oil consumption is terrible for direct injection motors because it will gunk up your ports and valves until it's totally choked with baked-in carbon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is way, way too much. You'd be wise to keep chasing that issue till you figure it out. Oil consumption is terrible for direct injection motors because it will gunk up your ports and valves until it's totally choked with baked-in carbon.
At this point I just turned 100K and it is what it is. I guess I could run a catch can. I do run top end cleaner through it now and then. I am not going to pursue a rebuild. I let my dealer know about the issue while I was still under warranty and we did a consumption test and it didn't burn enough. I think they wanted 800-1000 miles for a qt and maybe I was just above that? I should have asked what I was at. That was a while ago anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
At this point I just turned 100K and it is what it is. I guess I could run a catch can. I do run top end cleaner through it now and then. I am not going to pursue a rebuild. I let my dealer know about the issue while I was still under warranty and we did a consumption test and it didn't burn enough. I think they wanted 800-1000 miles for a qt and maybe I was just above that? I should have asked what I was at. That was a while ago anyway.
Man, I really would have escalated that complaint to get some action taken. Have you changed your spark plugs? I don't think top-engine cleaner will be sufficient for that volume of oil consumption. Maybe get those valves checked and consider a walnut shell blasting to get it good as new.

The other thing is, with all that consumption and the top engine treatments, your catalytic converter can't be long for the world either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At your mileage I would step up to 5w-30 oil.
I have never used 5w-20 in any make or brand of vehicle of mine that specified it, Fords or GM, always went to 5w-30.
Previous owner probably was using higher weight of oil, you had no way of knowing what was in it when you acquired it.
I've been using the 5w 20 Dexous because that's what the car calls for on the oil cap and anytime I get the oil changed that's what is recommended to use in the system. The only other oil recommendation is 0w 20 but that's for in the winter time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man, I really would have escalated that complaint to get some action taken. Have you changed your spark plugs? I don't think top-engine cleaner will be sufficient for that volume of oil consumption. Maybe get those valves checked and consider a walnut shell blasting to get it good as new.

The other thing is, with all that consumption and the top engine treatments, your catalytic converter can't be long for the world either.
I did my plugs at like 75k. So far so good with the converter but I hear you. I guess I could have escalated. It was a manager who told me this.

·
Registered
142 Posts

I use cataclean once a year to clean the cat a bit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well after changing my 02 sensors on my car found out my oil consumption problem, need to replace my head gaskets on my engine and figure out why my engine isn't getting the oxygen it need to properly operate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well after changing my 02 sensors on my car found out my oil consumption problem, need to replace my head gaskets on my engine and figure out why my engine isn't getting the oxygen it need to properly operate.
Wait what? So head gaskets are causing oil consumption? I thought that would cause the oil and water to mix? Whats the deal with the O2?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wait what? So head gaskets are causing oil consumption? I thought that would cause the oil and water to mix? Whats the deal with the O2?
There is oil build up on the outside of my engine block around the head gasket seals. When I changed my 02 sensors yesterday for reason when I would start my car the engine would run for maybe 5 mins of so on idle then choke its self out and die, if I tried to drive it, it would literally drop rpms and choke out and die almost immediately. It the first time in 7 years that those 02 sensors have been changed most likely. It was a fleet vehicle before I bought it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do "walker brand" 02 sensors actually work on a 2013 Chevy malibu 2.5L engine. Or do you have to use ACdelco, I used the walker brand on my car and it seems like the new 02 sensor on the upstream wants to make the engine die out, like it cant breath.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
It is always recommended to use OEM/ACDelco parts except where aftermarket brands are specifically known to be superior. In the case of sensors and electronics, almost always use OEM/ACDelco.

Choked airflow into the cylinder is another sign of carbon build up.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Always use AC parts for sensor replacements. Aftermarket stuff is known to cause issues and confuse repairs as we assume a new part is OK. Not worth the few bucks cheaper vs aggravation factor.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts