Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m new to this forum so I’m still kinda learning. Anyways I have 2015 Chevy Malibu 2.0 turbo and when I got the car I notice how it didn’t come w a boost gauge. I’ve been reading on the forum of a few older threads of people seeing it’s supposed to have a boost gauge and obviously it doesn’t. Does anyone have a boost gauge installed ? What’s you’re set up looking like?

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Boost gauge is just a toy on a stock vehicle. Boost is electronically controlled by the PCM and one is only needed if one is playing with the motor trying to blow it up in the name of improved performance.
They don't put boost gauges on mid range family sedans.
My '17 Continental 2.7 Twin T had one on the sport dash screen but not on the old guy standard dash screen.

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boost gauge is just a toy on a stock vehicle. Boost is electronically controlled by the PCM and one is only needed if one is playing with the motor trying to blow it up in the name of improved performance.
They don't put boost gauges on mid range family sedans.
My '17 Continental 2.7 Twin T had one on the sport dash screen but not on the old guy standard dash screen.
Yea that’s the main reason why I do wanna put one on so I don’t make the engine blow up lol

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,604 Posts
I had a 1964 Mercury Park Lane with a 390 CID 4-bbl and 3-speed automatic. I added a tachometer just because I wanted information, not to ask a 5000-pound 4-door car to turn into a street rod.

It's not bad to want to see the boost and get to know your vehicle. However, in keeping with the thoughts behind the comment made by @repairman54, that little 2.0T is already stretched to the limits. The only way to get more performance is to get a Trifecta tune. Seeing the boost is one thing, but trying to get more out it without a tuning platform is like cutting a mustard seed when you're starving just because you'll get more servings of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 1964 Mercury Park Lane with a 390 CID 4-bbl and 3-speed automatic. I added a tachometer just because I wanted information, not to ask a 5000-pound 4-door car to turn into a street rod.

It's not bad to want to see the boost and get to know your vehicle. However, in keeping with the thoughts behind the comment made by @repairman54, that little 2.0T is already stretched to the limits. The only way to get more performance is to get a Trifecta tune. Seeing the boost is one thing, but trying to get more out it without a tuning platform is like cutting a mustard seed when you're starving just because you'll get more servings of it.
Yes I will eventually invest in that for myself but what I was planning on tryin out is having a 1/4 inch hose into my waste gate and add a brass vaccuum T with another 1/4 hose it’s supposed to grab more air but could potentially overboost n blow your engine up lol thats why I was seeing if anyone has one installed

·
Banned
2015 Chevrolet Malibu LT 1LT, 2.5L DOHC Ecotec, 6-speed Auto
114 Posts
Yea that’s the main reason why I do wanna put one on so I don’t make the engine blow up lol
If you are not wanting to blow up your engine, then here is what I suggest.

1. Don't worry about installing a boost gauge. Knowing the psi of boost would be beneficial on a race car, that is frequently turned for different types of circuit racing, or drag racing. In the 1980s, Ford, Chrysler, and GM still offered a very limited number of production vehicles, and they had a boost gauge on some of them.

Simply put, 40 years ago it was needed, because OBD-I systems were nothing more than glorified fuel management systems, and extremely limited in diagnosing actual problems within the engine.

OBD-II systems have the capability to monitor and keep the boost within its operational tolerances, and when variations occur, it will set a DTC and illuminate the MIL on your dash. OBD-I systems did not have this capability, so that is why the boost gauge was needed.

2. Follow your maintenance schedule to the best of your ability, and as close to the recommended service interval mileage, as you can.

3. Engine warmup. On cold starts, do NOT listen to third party sources, about the dangers of "0 mpg" & blah, blah, blah....

Your pistons, rings, block, and so on are all metal. They expand at a microscopic level, as engine temperature increases. Oil actually helps control that heat, by reducing the friction of those parts moving against each other. On a cold start, there is very little oil in the head and other parts of the engine. The rings, pistons, and other moving parts have small gaps, in microscopic amounts, in them as well.

Let the engine warmup for 2-3 minutes, on cold starts.

4. Driving habits. Drive the car, like a reasonable person would, and try to obey traffic laws, keep flow of traffic, etc.

Driving the car like it is a stolen and you are trying to outrun the cops is keeping the engine within operational pressures and speeds that push it to it's limits and will reduce your engine life, drastically.

It is ok, and even recommended in small amounts, with a turbo engine to get on it and run it hard. Once again, very small amounts, though. It can be recommended to run an NA engine to it's red line, too, as it does blow carbon out of the cylinders.

Follow this as a general guideline, and try to only deviate when it is absolutely necessary, and you will enjoy a lengthy, enjoyable Malibu ownership period.

These are great cars. GM hit the mark, so to speak, with these newer Malibu models, and with proper care and maintenance, they are known to be reliable and can last a very long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Does anyone have a boost gauge installed ? What’s you’re set up looking like?"
Be nice to hear from someone that can answer the questions. I am also interested. Like usual on forums asking about boost gauge, all we get is long dissertations about not installing boost gauge. I want a boost gauge because I just want one for fun.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,981 Posts
"Does anyone have a boost gauge installed ? What’s you’re set up looking like?"
Be nice to hear from someone that can answer the questions. I am also interested. Like usual on forums asking about boost gauge, all we get is long dissertations about not installing boost gauge. I want a boost gauge because I just want one for fun.
How about a short statement instead of a long dissertation: No one has posted a step by step instructions because it is useless. There hasn't been much interest over the 10 years the 2.0T has been available. Perhaps you should be the person that posts the instructions?

That said, while not a permanent gauge, I can use my OBD adapter and Torque Pro app to see boost in my gen9 1.5T. I would think the same functionality is possible in the 2.0T but don't own one to confirm the 2.0T features are as robust as my 1.5T.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about a short statement instead of a long dissertation: No one has posted a step by step instructions because it is useless. There hasn't been much interest over the 10 years the 2.0T has been available. Perhaps you should be the person that posts the instructions?

That said, while not a permanent gauge, I can use my OBD adapter and Torque Pro app to see boost in my gen9 1.5T. I would think the same functionality is possible in the 2.0T but don't own one to confirm the 2.0T features are as robust as my 1.5T.
Great!!!
I'm actually working on it to see if it's feasible. If I ever get one, I will definitely post about it. I am also looking into OBD2 apps and devices for multiple data monitoring. And yes it is useless lol. Just fun to have, old school boost gauge on a modern family sedan!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,604 Posts
If it doesn't harm the car, then it's isn't gonna harm anyone to have it, either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also installing one because I can't buy a car and do nothing to it. Aftermarket intake and boost guage just for fun. The intake will actually benefit the car, guage is due to boredom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts