Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Saturn Aura. I plan to install a Kenwood or Rockville powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. They will fit except for the bracket that holds the electrical wires. Can I remove this bracket and tie the wires to the bottom of the seat frame?

I know to disconnect the battery and wait then disconnect the wires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
That bracket also ties together the seat rails giving the seat strength, not just a wire holder, so I would not remove it.
Pop out the back seat bottom and see if you have enough room under it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't fit under rear seat. Removed my passenger seat, removed the cross bar holding the wires. Zip tied the wires to the seat frame and reinstalled the seat. Tested it with 250 lb neighbor on some fast tight turns. Everything seemed ok. The cross bar is not needed as seat functioned fine. Placed my test amp and reinstalled seat again. Everything fits. Ordered Rockville 8" powered subwoofer.
Note: AC vent under seat will help cool amp. Ordered Rockville RW8CA 8" powered subwoofer with install kit

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
To each his own but I feel inclined to chime in.

That bracket does add strength. Omitting it may or may not lead to a malfunction as it depends on how many people use that seat in the future.

That "AC vent" also supplies heat to the feet of the rear occupants, so you'll be adding heat to the amp unless you place the mode control in the full vent (face only) position. Any other position directs varying amounts of HVAC air to those floor vents.

I'd love to hear how much improvement your audio modification provides. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate a clean, clear, crisp rendition. I'll bet you have nearly a concert hall when it's all said and done!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do hear and appreciate your comments. 95 % of the time it is just me and that is the real reason I am dong this. My petite wife rides on the weekends so will need to turn down the subwoofer but unit has a handy wired controller. I really enjoy quality sound. My aftermarket radio with Polk Audio components up front and 6x9's in the rear sounds pretty good. I am excited to ry this set-up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Completed install today. Spent most of the day and took my time. Subwoofer came with an amp install kit and had what I needed. Ran power wire through firewall on drivers side, over to passenger side and down door trim. Rca's and on wire through console area. Mount base control switch at my right knee for easy access. It sound awesome. Tight clear bass that completely fills the cabin and no distortation at high volumes. Left amp setting at stock and setup through receiver. Wow, wow, wow. Used industrial Velcro to secure subwoofer. I took lots of pictures.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Wanna do mine? Nice job, and glad it sounds so good, too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Bargan Master
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing