Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu and when I start the car the instrument cluster is dead. The car runs normally and everything else seems to work. If I remove the fuse to the instrument cluster for a couple of minutes and then reinstall it the instrument cluster works normally. After this I can turn off the car and restart it and the cluster works as it should. Sometime later when I have started the car numerous times the instrument cluster will again be dead and I have to go through the fuse removal procedure to restore its functionality. Any idea as to what might be causing the problem and/or what to check. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
I don't recall the name of the business, but if you use the Advanced Search feature, you should be able to find where there have been a number of posts about repairing the IPC. Those folks may have some info to help you if you don't find anything else here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall the name of the business, but if you use the Advanced Search feature, you should be able to find where there have been a number of posts about repairing the IPC. Those folks may have some info to help you if you don't find anything else here.
Any better idea as to how I might contact them to diagnose the problem

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
Here's what I found using the Search feature. It might be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what I found using the Search feature. It might be what you're looking for.

Can you provide video/instructions for removing the instrument cluster on a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT. I know I have bolts to remove on the lower part of the dashboard on the driver’s side. What do I have to remove on the center console?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you provide video/instructions for removing the instrument cluster on a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT. I know I have bolts to remove on the lower part of the dashboard on the driver’s side. What do I have to remove on the center console?
I should have pointed out that even though the Instrument cluster fails I can start and drive the car. Therfore does not seem like battery drain. as always thanks

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
The IPC has no bearing on whether the car can be driven, so that's not surprising.

The instructions are pretty straight-forward, and I'll do my best to share them from what I recall.
  1. Remove the knee bolster from driver's lower dash.
  2. Drop the steering column tilt to the lowest setting.
  3. Remove the snap-in middle dash.
  4. Unscrew the IPC cover.
  5. Unscrew the IPC, pull toward you.
  6. Unsnap the bail handle on the IPC plug.
  7. Remove IPC.
There may be some intermediate steps that I don't recall, but those are the big ones. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out anything I left out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The IPC has no bearing on whether the car can be driven, so that's not surprising.

The instructions are pretty straight-forward, and I'll do my best to share them from what I recall.
  1. Remove the knee bolster from driver's lower dash.
  2. Drop the steering column tilt to the lowest setting.
  3. Remove the snap-in middle dash.
  4. Unscrew the IPC cover.
  5. Unscrew the IPC, pull toward you.
  6. Unsnap the bail handle on the IPC plug.
  7. Remove IPC.
There may be some intermediate steps that I don't recall, but those are the big ones. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out anything I left out.
Thanks for all the insightful information. Do you believe it could be the instrument cluster since removong the fuse and then after a couple of minutes reinserting it makes everything work normally. Again thanks

·
Administrator
19,908 Posts
It sounds reasonable. Check out IPC repair shops and get some quotes. You don't know for sure that it's bad, but it sounds a lot like it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts