Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that generally speaking Chevy has always used
blueish/white/green colored lights for their instrument
panels and Pontiac has for the most part used red/orange,
(at least for the cars I've had.)

I think that the Malibu LTZ with ebony/brick interior would have
looked much better with a red lit instrument panel.

Anyone else thinks the blue ambient light seems a bit out of
place with this interior?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not sure (poor imagination). I'd have to see a 'shopped version to compare. I have the cocoa / cashmere in my LTZ, and love the blue with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the blue is the perfect touch for the all-gray and black interior options, mine being one example.

I think something like Ford's new program of having the ability to change the color yourself. Personally, I would enjoy an amber or red lighting myself, but I am growing on the blue.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I actually like the blue/green thing. It is subtle, and at night, when the lights are on, it does not look out of place. During the day, it is far enough away from things that it does not contrast poorly, and actually goes quite well with the interior I always thought.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Red has more of an aggressive, performance feel to it. I think blue suits the Malibu perfectly. It's not supposed to be a super fast car, just a normal, everyday family sedan.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The contrast of the Blue and the Brick balance each other in such a tasty way...Red and Brick would blend together too much (at least in the daylight)._The blue just pops out.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I know that generally speaking Chevy has always used
blueish/white/green colored lights for their instrument
panels and Pontiac has for the most part used red/orange,
(at least for the cars I've had.)

I think that the Malibu LTZ with ebony/brick interior would have
looked much better with a red lit instrument panel.

Anyone else thinks the blue ambient light seems a bit out of
place with this interior?

Actually I think blue looks great. If you throw red in it it may blend with the brick and you end up with something more like 2 color scheme...It might lack what this combo has because of that.

Now, if the radio trim was also reddish then there would be something to talk about. Monotone schemes do work sometimes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have the brick and ebony interior and this never occurred to me. However, I do not like red interior lights. They are hard to see (had a Pontiac Grand Am for 9 years) and the blue green is not.

Bill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have red lights on my 98 Firebird with 70K on the clock and I think the lights look great. In fact I have to dim the lights because they can be pretty bright. Well untill some one can do a photoshop on this pictures we will just never know.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The blue is great and that's what kept me away from the Aura! Well one of the things haha I can't stand the amber light effect.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i prefer a blueish lighting, coming from my multiple VW's, it just suits my eye better...

my concern is that sometimes the lighting seems to not work properly... not sure how the car decides if it should be brighter or dimmer, but just doesn't seem like it's correcting for the ambient light properly alot of times...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
i prefer a blueish lighting, coming from my multiple VW's, it just suits my eye better...

my concern is that sometimes the lighting seems to not work properly... not sure how the car decides if it should be brighter or dimmer, but just doesn't seem like it's correcting for the ambient light properly alot of times...
I thought all it does is turn on the night mode for interior lights based on the light sensor only. I.e. if you force the lights on during daytime the instruments will not change (at least that's how it seem to work in my 2LT). Btw, it's the same in my coworker's G6, to actually get the night illumination you have to cover up the sensor :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
First of all, let me say I've done this purely as an exercise.(I direct your attention to my name as to my color preference.)__Lopedawg, I hope this addresses your original thought.(Please picture a cross-eyed smilie here.)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Well done blu...But I I still prefer the blue color :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh wow! I'd kill for that IP in my Malibu. I really believe it goes great with the brick/black interior.

In my Chevy vehicles I always find myself dimming the instrument panel at night and having to turn them up all the way during the day. With my Firebird they stay the same way all the time and they look great.

It would be great to have red but I can't even imagine the amount of work that would require. I guess blue it is.

·
Registered
512 Posts

There you go. Vauxhall/Opel Insignia has red lighting.

Too bad it's only available in Europe. :mad:

C'mon GM...next-gen Aura or new Buick Regal...I don't care, I just want this car!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
First of all, let me say I've done this purely as an exercise.(I direct your attention to my name as to my color preference.)__Lopedawg, I hope this addresses your original thought.(Please picture a cross-eyed smilie here.)
To me the red seems to wash out the gauges and the blue intensifies them ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's so awkward seeing the driver's position on the opposite side! LOL

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've always wondered if people who grow up with right-hand drive cars view left-hand cars as looking odd, or off-balanced?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm sure they find left-hand cars oddities. I remember the Crocodile Dundee movie where he gets an American friend and tries to teach him and keeps making fun of left-hand drive cars. "Causes more accidents, doesn't it?"

"Why would it?"
"Well, you're on the right side of the road, not the left. Just sounds like people would try to verge to the left and get in more accidents."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts