Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a ricer question I know, but take a look and you'll know why I wanna get one...

It's not for performance, her 06 has a small gas tank and could use a boost in range. Any ideas where I can get an intake for this thing?

·
Banned
27 Posts
you can make your own if you are skilled enough. a Cold air intake is easilly reproduced at a fraction of the cost of buying one from a "dealer"

Here is what your looking at, you already have a plastic intake which is far ahead of the chrome ones which are horrible for your engine, but make it look nice. You can re-route the intake to a shorter pull, but taking in air through your bumber grills, into a filter in a box (ask later) and the up to the throttle body and in.
it would make you intake half the length and get colder air to the engine which would increase fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i pulled the whole intake and fabbed up a custom 1 using parts from auto zone.all parts r installed after the MAP sensor and i also pulled the air box but you need 2 remove the inner fender trim panel 2 get 2 it ill post pics in a couple days let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a kit similar to what you guys are talking about on my Grand Prix. I would love to make one, but I don't know where I would even route it... There isn't much space on the driver's side like the GP. This is kinda what I was hoping to do, but I lack the knowledge of where to put it.

This is the kit (assembled for photo)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just follow the stock tubing,remove the air cleaner box,purchase the K&N filter element with the adapter 3" and attach AFTER the MAP sensor

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have to try that. The tubing is rigid after all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you can also be creative and route the intake into the right fender where the stock air box is located and pull off that stock-aftermarket look.As soon as i find my camera i will post pictures for you to reference!

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
sweet intake and the best part about that product is it runs into the fender AWAY from the motor and all that HOT air im gonna remove my setup and order 1 for myself thanx

·
Registered
148 Posts
No problem, glad to help out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, update: I've decided to use the same K&N 9" cone filter as the one on my car at the end of the MAF in hopes of better mileage. This is, after all, a trip car and could use a little better range/economy. I have another question, but that's for another thread... :D Thanks all!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I heard from many people that PVC is not the best option for intakes. When PVC gets hot it emits gases that are not good for the engine.

·
Banned
27 Posts
What?!?!? PVC Does not get hot in the engine bay as it is not a heat conductor. Maybe if you had an engine fire, then it would be bad for your engine.

·
Banned
27 Posts
It is chrome plated and not dipped, therefore it will eventually flake off and try to get into your engine, plus it is chrome...bad choice for intake for performance. Chrome is only a good visual mod.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I tried fitting up my filter and it will fit. I'm ordering a new one once I have the money. For those with the 04-07 Malibu V6, the K&N P/N is RE-0870. Also need a coupler from 3" (intake tube) to 4" (filter opening).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.