Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read that article on wsj today: Malibu Shows Road to Revival Is Bumpy

Glad to see our Malibu was cited by the gov that GM can make quality car. I also like this article as it gives an insider story on how the car got redesigned and improved against Honda and Toyota.

I was kind of disappointed to find that the author did not cite more cases where Honda/Toyota owner actually gave GM a try. I am one of them. If he had read the Malibu customer reviews on many auto web sites such as yahoo, msn, edmund.... he might also find many others, including luxury car owners such as BMW, Cadillac, ...

Let us, Malibu owners, all hope that the car will hold up in the long run to prove its true quality and help GM turn around.

· Registered
571 Posts
I hate it when papers just put what the Malibu sold as it has 2 cousins that are all virtually the same when Toyota and Honda dont.

If you add in the Aura and the G6 GM outsells Toyota and Honda in the family sedan market.

· Registered
422 Posts
I hate it when papers just put what the Malibu sold as it has 2 cousins that are all virtually the same when Toyota and Honda dont.

If you add in the Aura and the G6 GM outsells Toyota and Honda in the family sedan market.
... and this is part of the problem. Too many brands for the same product.

· Registered
187 Posts

Does the G6 have the same interior? Perhaps they are cousins, but they are NOT the same car. I rented a 2008 G6 and I hated the interior. It was plain black plastic for miles. It looked like a $12,000 car inside. The Malibu, even in LS trim, has a beautiful interior. No comparison.

I guess my point is this -- I'm not sure your complaint is valid since the G6 is a several year old design and the Malibu was just redesigned for 2008 model year.

· Registered
571 Posts
... and this is part of the problem. Too many brands for the same product.
I agree but to a point. I love having a choice. If you want a family sedan from Toyota, you basically have one choice. Same from Honda. GM at least gives us 4 choices in that catagory.

Does the G6 have the same interior? Perhaps they are cousins, but they are NOT the same car. I rented a 2008 G6 and I hated the interior. It was plain black plastic for miles. It looked like a $12,000 car inside. The Malibu, even in LS trim, has a beautiful interior. No comparison.

I guess my point is this -- I'm not sure your complaint is valid since the G6 is a several year old design and the Malibu was just redesigned for 2008 model year.
Yea I know they arent the same car. Under the skin they are VERY much the same.

I wonder what parts will GM use on the new G6 when they redesign it. GM wanted the Malibu to be classy looking without the classy price. Thats why its a few bucks more than the G6 and the G6 uses a little less nice interior.

· Registered
118 Posts
I wonder what parts will GM use on the new G6 when they redesign it. GM wanted the Malibu to be classy looking without the classy price. Thats why its a few bucks more than the G6 and the G6 uses a little less nice interior.
But, given that the fate of the Pontiac brand is "up in the air" will there be redesigned G6?

· Registered
571 Posts
But, given that the fate of the Pontiac brand is "up in the air" will there be redesigned G6?
Pontiac is not up in the air. Its brand is being downscaled to probably just the G3, G6, G8 and Vibe with nothing else added like the G8 ST or a bigger SUV that was planned.

The G6 received a facelift this year and in 2011-12 it should be a new model as long as GM doesnt drown.

· Registered
96 Posts
Pontiac is not up in the air. Its brand is being downscaled to probably just the G3, G6, G8 and Vibe with nothing else added like the G8 ST or a bigger SUV that was planned.

The G6 received a facelift this year and in 2011-12 it should be a new model as long as GM doesnt drown.
Pontiac IS up in the air and deflating fast.

http://www.freep.com/article/200904...USINESS/GM+chief++UAW+and+Buick+key+to+future

"Henderson also said General Motors Corp. expects to keep its new focus on four core brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. "

I do not see Pontiac listed there.

· Registered
571 Posts
Focus on to me means that Pontiac will still be there but not a core brand. If he said that they were going to only keep chevy, caddy, buick and GMC then I would be worried.

· Registered
472 Posts
For the past 10 years the quality of GM cars has been very good. Yes, some of them have cheaper looking interiors but they run good and last a long time. Some get criticized for not having soft touch surfaces which I find amusing because after reading a review of the 2007 Tahoe the reviewer complained it still did not have soft touch surfaces. I went out and checked my 4 year old Tahoe and lo and behold it didn't have a soft touch dash. Funny how I had missed that for 4 years. I guess I was paying too much attention to washing my shoe laces to notice the lack. It is similar reviews and comments that create the impression the vehicles are not as good. I still have that Tahoe and when I compare it to brand new competitive Toyota and Nissan offerings I find they have a long way to go to catch up with GMs older model. More people need to really look at Detroit Iron. They may come away surprised.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.