Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I stumbled onto this forum while researching the 2008 Malibu. I found this one (attached) on my local Craigslist with only 105,000 miles. The car looks clean, but I am worried about the gap between the edge of the bumper and the right headlight. Does this look like it's been in an accident? The seller says the title is clean, but I wanted the opinion of some professionals. Also, should there be anything specific I look for when I go to see the car? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The headlight bulbs might have been replaced. When I took my bumper cover off to replace a headlight it was a real pain to put back on correctly and it took me awhile to get all the gaps removed. If you get the vin number you should be able to get a carfax report and see if there are any accidents that have been reported.

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
Yeah, that was either a very mild fender bender or a botched home repair headlight replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that was either a very mild fender bender or a botched home repair headlight replacement.
Do you think a small fender bender like that would cause any frame damage? I don't want to buy this car and have it break on me in a year.

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
Do you think a small fender bender like that would cause any frame damage? I don't want to buy this car and have it break on me in a year.
Definitely not. I doubt an accident that minor did anything beyond what you see.

Even so, get the car inspected by a decent mechanic first. There are PLENTY of other used cars out there, don't feel so locked into this car that you don't bother crossing your T's and dotting your I's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I bought my 2010 LT I had the same issue. The guy had done a headlight bulb replacement on his own and missed one of the tabs the headlight sits on. I took the front bumper off and fixed the issue - a pain, but won't cause damage from being out of place.

If they got into a minor collision there is a replaceable bar in the front to help protect the car (I've attached a picture - it's the white piece). I believe the technical term is Impact bar. I'll also include the link of gmpartsdirect for a diagram: BUMPER & COMPONENTS - FRONT for 2010 Chevrolet Malibu

Rest of the car looks pretty good; Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts