Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Last week after putting gas in my car the check engine light popped on. I checked my manual & it said a possible reason could be too much gas.( I did go maybe 1/2 clicks pass full) The manual said after driving some of the gas out it should go off,I was driving to Autozone to have it put on the diagnostic machine & the light went off,it happened the following day as well then went off on it’s own again. Then the remainder of the week it has been on consistently,my plan was to take it in to the dealer today to have it checked. Yesterday I went to start it & it stalled,then I received the error message “battery saver on”.I bought it used last year & Im a little over 40k miles,I haven’t had any issues with it until now.
I’m super nervous that it’s the alternator & was hoping to get some insight before I head to the dealer so I can possibly know what to expect. I’m uncertain as to what “generation” it is...
Any suggestions or thoughts?
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
Replacing the battery just may be in your future.

If your car has the start/stop feature, then see if there's a second battery and replace both at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If your car has the start/stop feature, then see if there's a second battery and replace both at the same time.

Yes it does have the start/stop feature. It won’t start at all this morning. How would I know if it has a second battery & where would it be?

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts
I'm not sure if it does or not. Let's wait for other members to come along and share their comments.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
Need to determine generation and engine first since 2016 is a mess.

Do you have a car that looks picture A or B attached below? I am riding in a car doing this on a phone so the pics are rudimentary. And I get sick staring at a phone in the car!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to determine generation and engine first since 2016 is a mess.

Do you have a car that looks picture A or B attached below? I am riding in a car doing this on a phone so the pics are rudimentary. And I get sick staring at a phone in the car!
It looks like pic B

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
Great, thank you. That is a gen9 and having start/stop means it is the 1.5T engine. Some thoughts:

Last week after putting gas in my car the check engine light popped on. I checked my manual & it said a possible reason could be too much gas.( I did go maybe 1/2 clicks pass full) The manual said after driving some of the gas out it should go off,I was driving to Autozone to have it put on the diagnostic machine & the light went off,it happened the following day as well then went off on it’s own again.
It can be too much gas, it can also (more likely) be the gas itself or the gas cap. A solid CEL that turns on then off again right after fueling usually isn't cause for concern. You want to get it resolved but isn't something major or catastrophic.
Then the remainder of the week it has been on consistently,my plan was to take it in to the dealer today to have it checked.
Getting the fault code read is important now that it is staying on consistently. Did it ever make it to the dealer?
Yesterday I went to start it & it stalled,then I received the error message “battery saver on”.I bought it used last year & Im a little over 40k miles,I haven’t had any issues with it until now.
The battery saver message is the greater concern here and probably tied to the solid CEL. There is no replacement guideline/timeline for the battery. Based on what I've seen I recommend anyone with the stop/start feature replace preemptively at 4 years which you are beyond. That isn't saying the battery is your problem but it is a necessary replacement anyway.
I’m super nervous that it’s the alternator
I wouldn't concern about the alternator. We haven't seen anything with alternator failure in gen9. Alternator replacement isn't even that difficult on this engine as far as labor should it be that. The best route is a proper diagnosis and repair. If this were my car and the battery was sitting at 5 years old I would start by replacing the battery. There is only one in your car; it is an AGM battery under the hood on the driver side front. The OE battery is ACDelco 48AGM. It's about $200 at your GM parts counter. Your dealer may install it for the same price or as much as $350. It is a little more complicated than some battery replacements but it's definitely doable in a 30 to 40 minute job.

Reactions: AvaH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thank you. That should indeed be a gen9 and having start/stop means it is the 1.5T engine. Some thoughts:

It can be too much gas, it can also (more likely) be the gas itself or the gas cap. A solid CEL that turns on then off again right after fueling usually isn't cause for concern. You want to get it resolved but isn't something major or catastrophic.

Getting the fault code read is important now that it is staying on consistently. Did it ever make it to the dealer?

The battery saver message is the greater concern here and probably tied to the solid CEL. There is no replacement guideline/timeline for the battery. Based on what I've seen I recommend anyone with the stop/start feature replace preemptively at 4 years which you are beyond. That isn't saying the battery is your problem but it is a necessary replacement anyway.

I wouldn't concern about the alternator. We haven't seen anything with alternator failure in gen9. Alternator replacement isn't even that difficult on this engine as far as labor should it be that. The best route is a proper diagnosis and repair. If this were my car and the battery was sitting at 5 years old I would start by replacing the battery. There is only one in your car; it is an AGM battery under the hood on the driver side front. The OE battery is ACDelco 48AGM. It's about $200 at your GM parts counter. Your dealer may install it for the same price or as much as $350. It is a little more complicated than some battery replacements but it's definitely doable in a 30 to 40 minute job.
My appointment is today at the dealership, unfortunately now the car will not start, I definitely think it’s the battery now as well I scheduled roadside assistance to have it towed there for the appointment. Thank you so much for all the detailed information!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My appointment is today at the dealership, unfortunately now the car will not start, I definitely think it’s the battery now as well I scheduled roadside assistance to have it towed there for the appointment. Thank you so much for all the detailed information!
Great, thank you. That should indeed be a gen9 and having start/stop means it is the 1.5T engine. Some thoughts:

Should I also have the tow truck driver see if it will take a boost or just have it towed?

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts
Just tow it. It has failed. Leave it in that condition for the dealership to resolve.

·
Administrator
18,490 Posts
+1 ^^ on letting us know the outcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Battery is in the trunk on the left hand side. There is a small compartment with plastic screws. I have been chasing problems with my 2014 since I bought it a month ago. Just got it back from the dealer and Chevy was involved and monitoring the situation. I will post on a separate forum what all went on. Maybe it will help someone else. I just got it back yesterday, so want to put some miles on it before I proclaim it fixed. One independant garage said I needed a battery, and the car was 6 years old so I put it in, even though the old one was starting it fine. Then he gave up when the codes came back. It's been an adventure, and a wallet pounder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Battery is in the trunk on the left hand side. There is a small compartment with plastic screws. I have been chasing problems with my 2014 since I bought it a month ago. Just got it back from the dealer and Chevy was involved and monitoring the situation. I will post on a separate forum what all went on. Maybe it will help someone else. I just got it back yesterday, so want to put some miles on it before I proclaim it fixed. One independant garage said I needed a battery, and the car was 6 years old so I put it in, even though the old one was starting it fine. Then he gave up when the codes came back. It's been an adventure, and a wallet pounder.
Do mean an additional battery? Because my battery is under the hood..the dealership replaced it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,799 Posts
Do mean an additional battery? Because my battery is under the hood..the dealership replaced it.
Ignore @GrayGhost1951. He has no idea what he is talking about and hasn't read the thread. You only have one battery not a 2nd in the trunk based on the info you have provided plus already visited the dealer.

Thank you for the updates by the way! Since post #12 indicated this was resolved I'll close the discussion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.