Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't my first rodeo in a help forum nor in an automotive forum. It's nice to have these resources available. What would be really, really nice is a SEARCH feature that allows you more options to cut down on the returns. I did a search on P0013 and got returns of P0013 AND P0014 which are pretty closely related. I did a search on intermittent engine light and got numerous returns on that with poor titles. I didn't want to read close to 43 posts with great odds there would be nothing there to help me with this problem.

Therefore: About 2 1/2 months ago I took it to my gf's mechanic for a "Change Oil Soon" light. I left to pick up said gf. I tried the Remote Start and all I got was some clicking, almost like dead battery solenoid noise. Got into the car and noticed my "Check Engine" light was on. So I took it back to the guys that just worked on it and asked if they did anything that might cause the light to come on. Of course the answer was no. Using the scanner he saw the P0013 code: B Camshaft Position - Open or Short in Oil Control Valve (OCV) (Bank 1). He reset it and I was able to remotely start it. He told me that it might come on again. And it did...a few times. One time I had MY mechanic clear the code and Remote Start worked again and no light. The next time it was on (it was on for a couple of days) I took it back to him and he said there's no code!!! And to bring it back when it was on.

So my question now is: Is it really the OCV (maybe going bad, but not totally bad)? Or another electrical issue?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Call a Chevy dealer to see if there's a TSB on this. It sounds somewhat familiar.

If you'd rather not bother with a dealership, you can try doing a wiggle test on the wire harness to see if that makes it better or worse. (Or no change...)

I think what seems familiar is folks who've had issues with the sensor and they found it best to just replace both of them, saying that the other one failed soon afterward, forcing them to do the work twice, kinda.

Some have found debris in the OCV and speculated that it may have lead to the failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you DrivenDaily. I saw a replacement on uTube and it looked pretty straightforward. After wiggling, I just might try replacing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
pcsreasier
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing