Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, been about ten months since I have been on here. Life gets in the way sad to say. But the Malibu has been getting a ton of work done to it (unfortunately ).

But current issue is a random oil light coming on the dash... the odd time it comes on when I am just cruising. .... so i will stab the throttle to see if it will tuen it off...... the odd time it does. Or i will stab the brakes..... and the light goes out. Other times it will stay on regardless. ... then just shut off.

The very first time it happened.....I pulled over,checked the dipstick....was fine. Well I said screw it and threw in new synthetic oil and a new filter to be safe...... sure enough came on again.... with no predictability to it. My temp guage never rises even a smidgen so , I am assuming its not tooo critical..... but i am still a bit freaked out by it lol

I am not sure how the oil pump works on these 3.5 l engines.....hoping its not an electrical pump...and its cutting out or somthing. Or has someone onown of a possible sensor or harness issue with this

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
50 views....nobody has an idea?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,987 Posts
I came by and read it once before and had to think about it for awhile. Some of the "views" are from web crawlers, and may actually be more than actual humans.

Here's my thought: If you have an OBD2 scanner (dongle or wired), see about monitoring the reported oil pressure from that sensor. Graphing it may let you see intermittent highs or lows, which could tell you that the sensor is failing intermittently. If so, replace it and see if that solves it.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Probably the sensor is bad. Sensor issues are more common than connector or harness issues but possible also.
Oil pump is mechanical if if bad the motor would have seized up by now.

Reactions: Darthz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could be the oil level sensor, also I had a vehicle in the shop years ago and the oil light kept coming on and it ended up being the ground wire from the oil level sensor that was shorting out, after we ran a new ground the issue was solved

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx a bunch guys. I have an inova 3100 scanner..... but still learning hpw to use it lol.
The odd time it comes on....i hot the brakes or throttle....and sometimes it kicks off. It ALWAYS comes on when i am just litterally cruising. ...no real throttle input. ...like when on a highway.... give a sharp stab of the throttle...or brakes...and it most of the time goes away.

Glad to know its mechanical (pump)....and didnt know about Web crawlers. .... just for giggles....will try and figure out this new scanner (Inova 3100..... which someone has said ...dont buy anything they make .....dang)

Thanx again guys for the input. ....will help ,e sleep at night lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts