Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I read the whole GM post, but I do not want to drop that much coin. I have the Iphone and a 2005 LS with the 6 disc in dash with NO AUX PORT. I have tried my hand at FM modulators that stink. Is there another way to hook up to the stock system. I don't care about controlling through the radio like the GM cord does, I just want to listen through the radio without tuning to some FM channel and don't mind hooking up through the headphone jack. Is this just NOT possible without a new radio that has an input?

I looked on crutchfield and all they have is a FM modulator that hooks up behind the radio through the antennae port. I wasn't thrilled about that as it is still FM modulated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok I read the whole GM post, but I do not want to drop that much coin. I have the Iphone and a 2005 LS with the 6 disc in dash with NO AUX PORT. I have tried my hand at FM modulators that stink. Is there another way to hook up to the stock system. I don't care about controlling through the radio like the GM cord does, I just want to listen through the radio without tuning to some FM channel and don't mind hooking up through the headphone jack. Is this just NOT possible without a new radio that has an input?

I looked on crutchfield and all they have is a FM modulator that hooks up behind the radio through the antennae port. I wasn't thrilled about that as it is still FM modulated.
There are a lot of ways you can do it. You could pull the radio and hard wire into an input yourself if there are any such switchable inputs, or perhaps a band or preset if you knew how to modify the wiring, etc. yourself. There are aftermarket kits for a lot of cars, and most modification shops could hook you up with something as well, but it might be too pricey. There are a lot of modules you can hook up to your harness like the PAL, but though cheaper, not cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is my review of the PXAMG iSimple iPod adapter with PGHGM2 harness for my 2008 Malibu LT2. I purchased the PXAMG (from ebay)after reading reviews on other sites of all the different options available.
I was leaning towards the GM PAL but after here people complain that it had a very slow reaction time when accessing the iPod and that it was a very difficult install (TECH 2 required) and taking the back seat out to access the XM unit in the package shelf. I decided the PXAMG was better option for an individual to install.
I won't go into detail about removing the radio there is a nice video on how to do this.(google Malibu radio removal video). The instructions for the PGHGM2 harness are the hard part of this install. The harness plugs into the existing radio harness and the radio easy enough but their instructions are poor on the bullet connectors hookup. What they are trying to do is have the orange and orange/black wires match up to the correct green wire that is the data line for the XM unit between the factory harness and the radio. This is confusing because you don't hook up green to green like you would think. After realizing what they were trying to do the install was easy. It takes awhile the first time for the unit to access after that it is not a problem works just like part of the radio.
When the unit is installed you hit the BAND button to change to AM/FM/XM/IPOD/AUX1/AUX2 to make your selection. When iPod is selected the Malibu radio controls the iPod. If you choose AUX1 the iPod click wheel controls the ipod. XM still works if you have XM by choosing XM from the BAND button.
I really like this setup because you can hide the iPod wherever you want out of sight and it keeps it charged. It is not a perfect setup there are things I dislike and are hopeful that they might be fixed in future firmware updates.
My dislikes
#1 Is the channel up/down on the steering wheel controls only fast forward or reverse the song.
Will not advance to next song from here. Have to use the tune knob on the radio.
#2 No way to pick random from radio. (You can setup on the iPod itself but if you browse Artist/Album using the radio controls it changes this setting till you change back on the iPod)
#3 I have had random wrong song title show on the radio display.
#4 No way to show time elapsed or remaining. (Only really needed for audiobooks)

There is a good video on google of the PXAMG in operation in a 2008 Acadia non-navigation which shows it in action on a radio similar to the Malibu but their steering wheel controls appear to work correctly.
I am really happy overall with this unit. It does what is most important for me connects and charges the iPod with no sound loss.
I have heard they may have a bluetooth module available in the future which would be nice.

I recommend buying the unit with the new 5volt iPod cable(the guy I bought from included it for no charge some charge $20.00 more). The new cable works with all iPods including iPhone 3G,iPod Touch Gen2 and iPod Nano Gen4 and is backward compatible with older iPods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just buy an aftermarket headunit--with an aux input--it costs as low as 70 bucks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah 'cause god only knows how much extra crap you need to get along with it to keep the integrated systems working.....so that 70 bucks is just the tip of the iceberg.....:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased this product and it works great! Very good option if you do not want to spend all that money on the adapter (that apparently does not work that great).

Yes, it does mean still having wires attached to your stereo unit but it does give the option of charging your iPod and having steering wheel controls (kind of ;)

The unit takes no more than a second to change songs and allows you to turn on the shuffle control and play/pause the current song or video (iPods/iPhone that can play video).

The 12V does NOT need to be plugged in, unless you want your iPod/iPhone to charge!

The steering wheel unit wraps around the steering wheel and attaches with velcro for steering wheel controls.

I saw a friend that had one and was amazed at how good it worked and LOOKED! it looks like you have extra steering controls, which you do but it looks cool. check it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I highly recommend looking at PAC audio for an AUX-in option (either generic or iPod specific). I had installed one in my old Honda Accord - was an easy install and just worked. http://pac-audio.com/

·
Registered
389 Posts
You get what you pay for with this type of thing. If you want shit go cheap and do a FM modulator. If you want something that is good go with the GM PAL. I have had mine for a few weeks now and I love it. Works perfect. It is a tad slow but with a smaller iPod it would be faster. My wife's 8 gig works pretty fast compared to my 160 gig that is loaded with about 90 gigs of music.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yesterday, I installed my PAL in my Bu and I put the adapter in the center console instead of in the glove box. My glove box is already full and I found it more convenient to have my Ipod in the console.

I have a 8GB Ipod Classic and it's working well with the PAL and the steering controls.

FYI, the Iphone 3GS is not compatible to play tunes with the PAL and you can't use the adapter to just charge your Iphone. You will get a message on your Iphone 3GS telling you it is not a compatible charger. Perhaps, it may charge the first gen Iphone as I think Aple made some changes for charging the 3GS last gen.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yesterday, I installed my PAL in my Bu and I put the adapter in the center console instead of in the glove box. My glove box is already full and I found it more convenient to have my Ipod in the console.

I have a 8GB Ipod Classic and it's working well with the PAL and the steering controls.

FYI, the Iphone 3GS is not compatible to play tunes with the PAL and you can't use the adapter to just charge your Iphone. You will get a message on your Iphone 3GS telling you it is not a compatible charger. Perhaps, it may charge the first gen Iphone as I think Aple made some changes for charging the 3GS last gen.

Do you have any issues with the PAL hitting on the big metal thing under the dash above where it is installed? I did and I had to line mine with some foam tape that I had laying around to make it not clunk over bumps. Also this may be due to the tape but mine randomly disconnects after its been on for a while. DO you experience this? My wife drives the car daily and no issues with disconnecting but when I drive it I do. Might be some bad songs on my play list that I use when I drive or it over heating due to the tape. Lemme know how yours works after about a half hour of using it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you have any issues with the PAL hitting on the big metal thing under the dash above where it is installed?
I attached the panel only at the rear and laid it down on the floor and I bring all the extra wiring to the left of the PAL module on the foam and then lift and secure the panel under the dash. It is possible that the wiring may be between the PAL module and the metal bracket you are talking about so it may prevent the rattle. My only concern was the movement of the electric pedals and I just want to be sure that no wiring interfere with it. I drove the car near 45 minutes last evening and no rattle and no disconnection at all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hmmm it was def a metal on metal clunk. I might be moving it to the firewall if possible. The next day my wife has off I will look into it more but I know its not the wires cause its a metal on metal clunking sound. I am pretty sure my issue is either over heating due to being covered in foam tape or it doesn't like a few of the songs in my play list.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Little update mine is working flawlessly. I synced all the iPods again and now no issues. Think it was just a bad section on the iPod or corrupted playlist. Anyway was using it for about an hour yesterday and about 45 minutes today with no resets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Ipod adapter and HD Tuner

Yesterday I had Best Buy install my PXAMG iSimple iPod adapter with PGHGM2 + HD Radio Tuner (HDRT) in my 2009 LT2. Install only cost $50 + $5 Materials plus tax. It comes with an 11ft cable so I was able to run it cleanly into the center console.

I agree with TD08LT2's comments regarding steering wheel controls using the ipod. Big thumbs down!!

Here are my thoughts...There is a huge improvement in IPOD sound quality going from analog mini plug to digital input. (IPOD Touch 1st Gen -yes it charges) BIG Win!!

As stated in the previous review you have two ways to control the ipod - either manually (through the AUX input) with no track info displayed or through the Radio (though the IPOD input) track info is displayed. Most people with probably choose the Aux input do to the complicated controls through the radio. I consider myself very tech savy and learning how to maneuver through the new controls very difficult (even with the provided cheat sheet).

One thing I was not aware of, and I don't know if this was due to the HD Radio module addition, but you lose all ability to access your favorite radio stations with one touch though the oem deck - instead have to hit 2 buttons and then scrolling through the newly assigned presets, then hit another key to accept selections. Even storing stations is a 3 step process.

Once installed all activities (am/fm,ipod/aux) are accessed through the xm band (AM/FM bands become static due to the old antenna being routed into the HD mod box) This is also frustrating but improvements in sound quality are mostly worth the inconvenience. I don't know why isimple couldn't maintain more of the OEM controls through the radio. Virtually every action is controlled differently.

Number of HD Radio Channels in Long Island NY is great!! Had no problem filling up the 18 presets allowed on the module.

Overall I am happy with the sound quality improvements but I hope that future models will improve the user friendliness of the IPOD controls and HD radio maneuvers (specifically favorites - setting and browsing).

If and when I sell my BU, I will most likely remove both because I will lack the patience to explain to someone how to use both units...Until then I will enjoy the audio quality improvements.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone with the Isimple PXAMG ipod adapter don't upgrade to IOS4 for your iphone or touch just yet. The new OS causes problems for the Isimple and you will have to buy a $29.95 daughter board for the unit or modify it to basic mode which loses the song title function. The mfg is aware and is out of stock on the daughter board right now. I have two of these in two different cars(Malibu and Aura) Malibu works with the touch only and the Aura doesn't like either. Here is the link to the daughter board
http://www.isimplesolutions.com/ipod-adapter/pxamg-ic.asp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.