Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm thinking about getting a GM Tech 2 tool. Im young (18 going on 19 in April) and I love messing with my 2 cars soon to be 3. (2004 Ford Mustang V6 Base, 2012 Chevy Malibu 2.4L LS, 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S) Anyway, I am heavy into learning how cars work and how all the electronics work etc. I'm debating on getting a GM Tech 2 scanner to kind of experiment and learn how things work. What are key differences from say one of those Autel or Bosh tablet scanners. I have a nice OBD2 scanner, but I don't wanna scan, I wanna poke around and see what different modules do what. I live in the kind of red neckey part of Illinois and if I had the tool I could charge people to do ods and ends as well as my room mate (younger than me) is extremely knowadgeable about cars, trucks etc. Could it be useful? Should I consider getting a higer end scan tool? What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Tech 2 has been replaced by a newer one and it's GM only. No worth spending money on a tool that is now obsolete and can't be upgraded to work on a car you may get next year.
Poking around without the training to know what does what and / or losing programming will do more harm than good.
Factory tools require a license to download updates from the Mfgr. . Programs like HP tuners require the knowledge and the expense to license to access / unlock multiple vehicles.
High end scan tool is a must to service / repair multiple brands to read codes to help diagnose repairs.
If your serious about repairing vehicles I'd look into a school first to get training for that career. That would be the area where your money would be best spent.
Working on other folks cars without proper training and something screws up put you in a financially responsible position if something goes wrong and it does often. That's why shops charge as much as they do as they have to pay for insurance to cover those issues when ''crap'' happens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech 2 has been replaced by a newer one and it's GM only. No worth spending money on a tool that is now obsolete and can't be upgraded to work on a car you may get next year.
Poking around without the training to know what does what and / or losing programming will do more harm than good.
Factory tools require a license to download updates from the Mfgr. . Programs like HP tuners require the knowledge and the expense to license to access / unlock multiple vehicles.
High end scan tool is a must to service / repair multiple brands to read codes to help diagnose repairs.
If your serious about repairing vehicles I'd look into a school first to get training for that career. That would be the area where your money would be best spent.
Working on other folks cars without proper training and something screws up put you in a financially responsible position if something goes wrong and it does often. That's why shops charge as much as they do as they have to pay for insurance to cover those issues when ''crap'' happens.
Well, I own a 2012 2.4L. How much harm could I do?

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,487 Posts
There seems to be chinese tech 2 clones for $200-250 on ebay, not sure how well they work. I can't really see justifying the $600 regular price just to tinker around. I had a similar desire to learn and tinker, but I decided to buy hptuners and slowly learn how to tune. I think I paid $550 and recouped a lot of it by selling the programs I came up with.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Well, I own a 2012 2.4L. How much harm could I do?
Do you need the car to get around or go to work ? Can you afford a dealer reprogram ? Is the car worth more than $100
Scan tool will not hurt anything but a programming tool will.
I saw a video on YouTube on brain surgery can I operate on you ?

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,487 Posts
Personally, I've never needed a tech 2 for anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts