Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 2.0 LT

I've had the car for a few years and I haven't noticed any issues driving but my coolant temp gage stays at about 25% in summer and winter. Every other car I've driven tends to be at the halfway mark. It's this normal or might I have a thermostat or other issue?

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Normal spot for newer GM vehicles. Every gauge in my fleet in my signature line reads there except my Tahoe.

Reactions: imidazol97

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 2.0 LT

I've had the car for a few years and I haven't noticed any issues driving but my coolant temp gage stays at about 25% in summer and winter. Every other car I've driven tends to be at the halfway mark. It's this normal or might I have a thermostat or other issue? View attachment 70044
If your thermostat was stuck closed, your temp Gauge would rise and rise all the way to hot And overheat you’re engine.

If it was stuck open, the ecu would stay in open loop and certain monitors wouldn’t set and you’d have a check engine light on after a few minutes.

If the needle wouldn’t move whatsoever, like not even when you shut off the car, then it would be physical issue with the cluster itself.

Looks normal to me.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,733 Posts
My Gen7 2011 has the needle right in the middle when it's at normal operating temperature. But that's a different system.

It seems that the consensus here is that yours is "normal" even though the gauge seems to indicate that it's running a bit colder than it should.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
My Gen7 2011 has the needle right in the middle when it's at normal operating temperature. But that's a different system.

It seems that the consensus here is that yours is "normal" even though the gauge seems to indicate that it's running a bit colder than it should.
2x My Tahoe has numbers, it runs with needle at 12 o'clock which is 210 deg. . Prior work Express vans with numbers also ran at 210. When I got the newer vehicles I actually checked them with a thermo to verify what was normal on the numberless gauges which indicate lower for normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts