Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a s/c or a turbo for the 2.4L engines?

·
Registered
574 Posts
There is plenty of stuff for the 2.4 engine.

It is GM's Ecotec engine, Lol... there is literally EVERYTHING you could ever want for that engine. Lol

My recommendation, just spray it... The block is good up to a 75 shot, I would stay with a 50 shot just to be safe and to avoid having to tune it. It will give you the power boost you are looking for, without having to spend about $5000 getting all forged internals, replacing the fuel system, the ignition system, tuning, etc... And then actually paying for the S/C or Turbo itself, and all the work that has to go into it.

In case you are wondering... I used to drive the 2.0 Supercharged Cobalt, hence why I am slightly knowledgeable with the Ecotecs and what is best for them. Good luck with your build though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Zex makes a system for all EFI V-6 GM engines... That should work.

If you are asking about a Turbo or S/C, then no, there is no premade kit kinda thing. You would need to get the Turbo itself, you would have to custom make an exhaust mani, you would need a wastegate, intake piping, you would probably want an intercooler, so that, and IC piping, new injectors for the additional fuel you will need, an upgraded ignition system, CRAZY amounts of tuning, all the oil lines, cooling lines, vacuum lines, etc.

Also, since the engine is in no way designed to handle boost, you will need to get some forged pistons with much better rings, otherwise you will be destroying them left and right, a higher pressure fuel pump, all that good happiness.

So... Spray is the way to go. A 50 shot is safe, and will give you the power you are looking for. It's a Malibu... Your not hoping to break into the 11's or 12's.. Lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
Question here, If you dont mind. How does the Engine Cover come off the 2.4? I was looking at mine the other day and its on very tight. I was thinking about cleaning under it in the spring.
Thanks
Escapemax

·
Registered
574 Posts
thanks! it's souds to complicated!
Yea. No problem.

Spraying it, if you do decide to go that way would be pretty easy though. You and some buddies could get it done in about 2 hours or so, very simply as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Question here, If you dont mind. How does the Engine Cover come off the 2.4? I was looking at mine the other day and its on very tight. I was thinking about cleaning under it in the spring.
Thanks
Escapemax
As for that... Im not sure... Sorry...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Zex makes a system for all EFI V-6 GM engines... That should work.

If you are asking about a Turbo or S/C, then no, there is no premade kit kinda thing. You would need to get the Turbo itself, you would have to custom make an exhaust mani, you would need a wastegate, intake piping, you would probably want an intercooler, so that, and IC piping, new injectors for the additional fuel you will need, an upgraded ignition system, CRAZY amounts of tuning, all the oil lines, cooling lines, vacuum lines, etc.

Also, since the engine is in no way designed to handle boost, you will need to get some forged pistons with much better rings, otherwise you will be destroying them left and right, a higher pressure fuel pump, all that good happiness.

So... Spray is the way to go. A 50 shot is safe, and will give you the power you are looking for. It's a Malibu... Your not hoping to break into the 11's or 12's.. Lol

Better check your local laws regarding Nitrous Oxide in a vehicle used on the streets, several states do not allow it. You can put boost in low amounts, no more than 8 psi with stock internals but when you're talking anything higher you're in for trouble.

·
Registered
574 Posts
8 PSI for a 6 cylinder on all stock internals would be murder. Lol... These engines are far from designed to handle any kinda boost. You mine as well just have play-doh inside of there, because it will retain about the same effectiveness as those pistons will under boost. Lol. Especially seeing as for as much as you will spend, 8lbs... and the damage to your engine/tranny would not be worth it.

As for the N20 thing... If they can't see it, and it's not hooked up on the road...

:) Loophole...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ask Ben with 60degreeV6 about the ability of these engines to handle boost up to 8 PSI on STOCK internals. There have been a few who'v,e done this on the 3x00 engine family, some in Grand Am's and others in Malibu's on the 3100 and 3400 using a RSM Supercharger after fixing a few issues the supercharger had with reliability. Nitrous Oxide is only a temperary boost whereas you can have noost anytime you want a little more pep using a supercharger or turbo, Nitrous Oxide is in the Hazardous Materials handbook (a Truck Drivers handbook for Hazardous Materials) and is REGULATED.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes... This is true.
And I am VERY familiar with the potentials of the 3x00 series of engines, seeing as I did have a E/M Supercharged Grand Am. And yes, it did stand up to all 9 lbs of boost that I tossed at it, and never gave me a problem with the stock internals, however, I can tell you that the tranny was pretty much going to be shot shortly after I got rid of it, seeing as I could already feel it go, and I am pretty sure the engine would have gone shortly there after.
After seeing that... I don't know, it kinda steered me away from certain parts of boost, especially those concerning stock internals.
Now, after I got rid of the GA, I went to a Supercharged Cobalt and ran that at ~17lbs on stock internals. But those were also all forged, and had a VERY suffiecent amount of cooling to prevent damage that would be incurred through a lot of the stock internals with boost.
So, unless with the S/C or Turbo, you plan on spraying Alcohol, getting a better H/E, etc... It would STILL be better to spray it.
Gasoline is a hazardous substance, probably not as bad as N20, but... if installed properly and not abused, it is VERY safe, and would still be my recommendation.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Now that I re-read that... I did not mean to come off rude. Lol... I just had a bunch of thoughts and was trying to get them all down.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes... This is true.
And I am VERY familiar with the potentials of the 3x00 series of engines, seeing as I did have a E/M Supercharged Grand Am. And yes, it did stand up to all 9 lbs of boost that I tossed at it, and never gave me a problem with the stock internals, however, I can tell you that the tranny was pretty much going to be shot shortly after I got rid of it, seeing as I could already feel it go, and I am pretty sure the engine would have gone shortly there after.
After seeing that... I don't know, it kinda steered me away from certain parts of boost, especially those concerning stock internals.
Now, after I got rid of the GA, I went to a Supercharged Cobalt and ran that at ~17lbs on stock internals. But those were also all forged, and had a VERY suffiecent amount of cooling to prevent damage that would be incurred through a lot of the stock internals with boost.
So, unless with the S/C or Turbo, you plan on spraying Alcohol, getting a better H/E, etc... It would STILL be better to spray it.
Gasoline is a hazardous substance, probably not as bad as N20, but... if installed properly and not abused, it is VERY safe, and would still be my recommendation.
Wow, so you felt tht the engine wouldve' gone shortly after the trans gave out! I don't really think so, yes the trans is a weak link in the N-body Malibus, but swapping out from a 4t40 to a 4t45 or a 4t65 trans would be a much better choice and handle more power, I stillm stand by the fact a stock 3100 can withstand up to 8 PSI of boost and so will a few others who've actually put boost to their engines.

Yeah so gasoline is a regulated material as well, BUT it's more available that Nitrous Oxide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is plenty of stuff for the 2.4 engine.

It is GM's Ecotec engine, Lol... there is literally EVERYTHING you could ever want for that engine. Lol

My recommendation, just spray it... The block is good up to a 75 shot, I would stay with a 50 shot just to be safe and to avoid having to tune it. It will give you the power boost you are looking for, without having to spend about $5000 getting all forged internals, replacing the fuel system, the ignition system, tuning, etc... And then actually paying for the S/C or Turbo itself, and all the work that has to go into it.

In case you are wondering... I used to drive the 2.0 Supercharged Cobalt, hence why I am slightly knowledgeable with the Ecotecs and what is best for them. Good luck with your build though.
you mean Toyota ecotech, the block says toyota all over it, that said there are also alot of turbo kits for the celica and mr2 that may work

·
Registered
59 Posts
See post #4 or look closely at my sig - that IS a GMPP S/C on a 99 Malibu 2.4L. By the way - It works GREAT and a stock engine can easily handle 8 lbs. of boost...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.