Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was at the dealer today and went in to see pricing on the 2011 Malibu. So here is the run down...I went in to see an LS but found out there was an extra $1K for getting an LT so obviously I went with that. Here is what they are offering...
2011 Malibu 1LT with $1,650 in upgrades (sunroof, blue tooth, etc.).

Demo Not Demo
MSRP: $25,495 $25,495 24,995
Military Price: $24,594 $24,594 24,094
Dealer Cash: $1,000 $ 1,000 1,000
Rebate: $2,500 $ 2,500 2,500
USAA Member: $750 $ 750 750
Demo Discount: $500 $ 500 0
Adjusted Price: $19,844 $19,844 19,844

So now I am torn between just going with this or taking the Demo model. The demo comes with 5,900 miles (Already broke in) but also comes with an additional $500 off. This brings the total discount from MSRP of $5,651 if I go with the Demo. Final price is $19844 + $345 tax & doc...$20,189 out the door. Plus it has Sun Roof which is no big deal I guess

I know its a great deal but the question is do I take the demo or go with a model with less options for the same price? BTW, the tax is so low because there is a trade involved (19K) but is not factored in the price because I am getting what I owe on it. So again, Demo or less than 25 miles?

Also, is this a good deal? I feel like it is but am not sure if it can get better by waiting. It is the end of the month after all.

By the way, if you are thinking about getting a new Malibu, the incetives are pretty good, here is an example of $5,651 off MSRP!

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
For about $25K I walked away with an LTZ, V6, sunroof, and upgrade color. It has everything except the body-color side moldings and headrest DVD players. Started at just over $30K and I traded an '09 2LT that I was upside down in. I know they made money, but I also know that I got a good enough deal to take it.

So if you can get a 1LT for about 20% less that might be good. When I bought my '09 2LT it was $23K before haggling and all I had to "trade" was a '97 Pontiac for $500.

You might be able to get a higher level for about the same money, and with it you'll have Bluetooth (great feature!), possibly satellite radio, and possibly OnStar. Satellite and OnStar will cost once the free period expires (3 mos. XM, 6 mos. On*), but even with them cancelled the BT still works!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess the post did not submit the way I typed it and looks like a cluster of numbers, my bad. What I am asking is this, do I go with a demo model with sunroof on top of the packages installed or do I go with one without any miles on it without sunroof for the same price? Price is just over $20,100 out the door either way so an LTZ for $25k is not what I am looking for

·
Banned
812 Posts
Another thing to consider buying used is if you get sold a Lemon! State Laws change from state to state, so a new car may have some entitlements / protection under certain state laws that a used car may not! “It May or May not be treated the same in a lemon law case”

There is nothing wrong with used at all and many times you can save a lot of money while some times a new model is not far off from the used in some cases, depending on the year and miles.

Only you can decide which is best for you and your budget! It wouldn’t hurt to shop around and compare! When I bought my Malibu, this is what I should have done, “shop around“, I now know I paid too much for mine.

Another thing you want to keep in mine is that the Malibu has a very low Trade-In Value, so try to find the very best price/deal on the car!

If you search the site, there has been posts about how much members/owners paid for their cars. It might give you an good idea of the value of the car you are looking at right now by seeing what others have paid for theirs!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is not a used car. It is sold as new (no rebates etc. On used cars). So I am not concerned with things that go with buying a used car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know in Florida (i just boned up on it), demos are specificly included in the lemon law.

So, if I understand correctly, the DEMO option you face is $500 less and a sun roof in exchange for 5900 miles. Unless you've got a real penchant for sun roofs, I wouldn't find that a very good inducement for 5900 miles.

Tax Deductible Car Miles - IRS Standard Mileage Rates
•55.5 cents per mile driven for business purposes
•23.5 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
•14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations

You do the math.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
To give you an idea, when I bought my '08 LTZ it was a certified pre-owned with just over 4500 miles on it. Sticker was about 29K new, I got it for less then 19K. Which was a good deal at the time. Get it as cheap as you can as Malibus have horrible resale value.

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
The LS will likely have no BT, On*, or XM. The LT might have one or more.

If the choice was up to me (demo or new) I'd take the new, even without the sunroof. You don't have to prove that it had 5900 at time of purchase and get cheated out of your warranty, which might read that it only goes to 3/36 regardless.

I never had a sunroof and now I like it. But it's not a deal breaker. The choice is yours, but you can see the way we're swingin' here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so we went into the dealer Saturday, around noon, and worked out the rest of the deal. We ended up deciding against the demo and going with the car that "She" really wanted. We went with a 1LT with the White Diamond with cocoa/cashmire interior. A few options here and there but no sunroof, as I dont think it is that important to us. We got everything figured out and came to a final number of $19,8XX out the door price (Tax and fees included). We were about to sign the dotted line and they called us into the finance office and he showed us what it looked like. I was not too impressed and I know that I can get a pretty good rate through USAA so we stood up and said "Thanks, but no thanks!"

It paid off because we left the dealer after the finance guy said that it would be "Impossible for us to find financing better and the banks are closed." I just smiled and said no big deal, they will be open Monday. If you understand that Saturday was the last day of the month, you will understand what I mean. We left the lot and "Headed home." Phone rang about 25 minutes later begging us to come back and what do we need to do to get this deal done today?! So we got another $500 off and they magically found a way to drop the rate 1.5% LOL.

Pretty happy with our decision and thanks for all the input. It really helped to listen to everyone with their insigts to our delima...Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
Cool story.

OK, now we need some pics of the new baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
DrivenDaily
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing