Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a two lane highway today and a semi truck coming towards me is losing alot of snow and ice from the top of his trailer. We recently had freezing rain which gave his trailer a sheet of ice on top.

As he approaches, a huge sheet of ice blows off and lands on my car. It hit the windshield so hard I expected alot of damage. A quick swipe of the wiper and I was amazed - no cracking! Due to traffic, I was not able to turn around or ID the truck.

I pulled over at the next town to get gas and realized I didnt escape fully. There is a crease about 15 inches long running along the middle near the natural hood crease.

I'm pretty sure one of those Dent Doctor techs can work out the crease but damn, on a black car it looks pretty bad.

A crappy Winter just got worse.:mad:

·
Registered
736 Posts
That SUCKS!!! You don't even know what company the truck was from?? Good thing for insurance, I guess..

·
Registered
481 Posts
You wouldn't be able to put it off on the trucking company either, it's not something any trucking company can do a thing about. Sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident. Don't think trucking companies don't care it's just that to deal with ice or snow on top of any trailer is not easy, let alone you could have ice fly off of any vehicle that could've also hit your car, think of it more as a case of a weather related incident.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I never follow too close when they are dumping ice like that but this was a case of the truck coming toward me and nowhere to hide.

As for fault, I would surely bet that if this truck caused a major pileup due to something coming off his truck they would be liable.

I'm not sure what they can do to remove that much ice from the trailor but on the otherhand if it is a danger on the road they shouldnt be allowed to operate in that condition.

If that chuck of ice goes through my windshied as causes a headon collision, you bet the trucking company would pay.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well unfortunately it's a cause of nature, trucking companies try to do their best with any accumulation of snow or ice but you just can't take care of it all. Then there's the point of drivers that have come through a winter storm that's piled up a bunch of snow or ice on a truck, no company will spend the time or money just to get that stuff cleared off of trailers when the freight has to be at it's destinations scheduled time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
that still doesn't make it right, and i garuantee if that caused someone to be seriously injured or killed the trucking companies insurance would be paying up for it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.