Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visiting a friend out of town we went to the store and as always I try and park farther out and away from other cars, we were in the store for a couple minutes to come out and find an old Chrysler rust bucket parked right next to me and crooked and I had a nice 3 inch crease in my door along with their paint.. I took some pics and called the police and just got the report today and there adjuster is supposed to come look.. Only downside is thats its a parking lot accident and I was not there to witness them hitting the car even though the paint matches and the way they were parked leads and points everything to them being at fault.. The officer was nice enough to make notes about his observations even though they cant determine fault in a case like this..

Here is hoping there insurance agrees with the officer.

I actually used Onstar to have them contact the local patrol to send someone out and they were really nice and professional about the whole thing and helped the whole way through

·
Registered
23 Posts
OUCH! SO sorry to hear about your 1st dent. That's the one downside of having a new car~you almost hold your breath when you leave it out there in a parking lot, hoping for the best, that it'll be unscathed when you return...not to be this time for you. It's unbelievable that there are people that almost seem to go out of their way to damage nice, new, shiny cars. We all feel it at some point, sooner or later~just always hopeful that it's MUCH later...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Even if the police wont issue fault, if you have enough evidence, you can take them to small claims court to have the costs refunded so you don't take a hit on your insurance premium. It will be up to the judge, but often times it's not as hard to prove as you would need in a criminal sense.

Have you talked to the owner of the other car to ask them? If they admit fault, you're golden... show them the proof you have and see if they admit it. If they wont, threaten to take them to court.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if the police wont issue fault, if you have enough evidence, you can take them to small claims court to have the costs refunded so you don't take a hit on your insurance premium. It will be up to the judge, but often times it's not as hard to prove as you would need in a criminal sense.

Have you talked to the owner of the other car to ask them? If they admit fault, you're golden... show them the proof you have and see if they admit it. If they wont, threaten to take them to court.
Actually I didn't get to talk to the owner.. When they came out I asked them about it and they immediately began saying they didn't do it, They had 2 young kids get out on the passenger side, She tried to leave but the police stopped her as they pulled up just as she was trying to leave. She was so loud and hysterical the police told her to stay in the car or she would arrest her. She sat in the car the whole time cussing and calling people on her cell phone saying she was calling her lawyer and that I was racist and a whole over list of cuss words.. Right now I'm dealing directly with her insurance company at the moment.. I don't want to deal with mine and have to subrogate against her insurance.. I will see where this gets me first before taking anymore action.. But I do have uninsured motorists so if her insurance for some reason sides with her or denies coverage.

·
Registered
749 Posts
:'( sorry to hear about that!! I hate it when people park next to me I usually (unless there's a HUGE demand for spaces for w/e reason) take up two to four parking spaces just so a car can't park next to me... although that makes people mad and will eventually key my car LOL...

I'd rather have a slight keying than a huge scrape w/ paint and dents all over!

This is why I don't believe women should drive LOLOL

Except officials, of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:'( sorry to hear about that!! I hate it when people park next to me I usually (unless there's a HUGE demand for spaces for w/e reason) take up two to four parking spaces just so a car can't park next to me... although that makes people mad and will eventually key my car LOL...

I'd rather have a slight keying than a huge scrape w/ paint and dents all over!

This is why I don't believe women should drive LOLOL

Except officials, of course.

TRUST me~~you do NOT want to go there!! I know women are in the minority here, but please don't generalize.

Let's keep this genderless, okey dokey?

·
Registered
749 Posts
TRUST me~~you do NOT want to go there!! I know women are in the minority here, but please don't generalize.

Let's keep this genderless, okey dokey?
Hey it's just my personal belief... obviously there are some women that are good drivers.. I happen to know a few but for the most part they're just overly-cautious...

In Massachusetts, at least.

Dokey okey?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should here from the adjuster today sometime to come see the car.. Once this gets all settled Ive got to take my car to the dealership to have them fix some issues

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good luck with your insurance. We were turning right from a stop sign when some idiot coming from the right was turning left onto our road. He smacked right into us when he turned the corner too short. We got pictures of radiator fluid coming out of his car and the car's position to show that he was clearly on our side of the road. State Farm opted so simply pay to fix our car instead of going after this guy since there was no real "proof". I don't know what else they would have needed, short of an actual video of the accident...

First dings are so heartbreaking sometimes. I had my Malibu for 2 days and someone was putting a cardboard box of cat litter in the trunk when the handle on the litter broke and the box slipped past the bumper to the ground -- scratched the bumper quite badly actually. Who knew cardboard could be that abrasive? Hey, at least the first ding was done.... I still park in the parking lot boonies though.

TMoney, you don't think overly-cautious people should drive? I'd sure rather park next to someone who's overly-cautious than someone who isn't! Come to think of it, I'd rather be out on the road with them versus the people putting on makeup, peeling oranges, shaving, reading the paper (or a novel -- have actually seen this), eating a bowl of cereal, dialing a cell phone, checking their email, reading a map, tailgating at about a two foot distance, or changing clothes! True, the overcautious can cause problems too (like stopping to merge onto the interstate -- one of my pet peeves for sure), but IMO they aren't as dangerous as the ones that throw caution to the wind...

·
Registered
749 Posts
TMoney, you don't think overly-cautious people should drive? I'd sure rather park next to someone who's overly-cautious than someone who isn't! Come to think of it, I'd rather be out on the road with them versus the people putting on makeup, peeling oranges, shaving, reading the paper (or a novel -- have actually seen this), eating a bowl of cereal, dialing a cell phone, checking their email, reading a map, tailgating at about a two foot distance, or changing clothes! True, the overcautious can cause problems too (like stopping to merge onto the interstate -- one of my pet peeves for sure), but IMO they aren't as dangerous as the ones that throw caution to the wind...
omg you people dont' understand lol you gotta go to Massachusetts to see what I'm talking about... obviously I'm not saying people should be doing things in their car that distract them from driving.. I just don't like those who drive RIGHT at the speed limit, slow down when getting on the freeways (I speed up and match the flow so it's easy to merge... as do most others up here), don't know how to navigate a roundabout, take 5 minutes to merge from one lane to another, etc.....

You get my point LOL

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Insurance adjuster called and is coming out tomorrow to write an estimate and take pics,

and omg I hate those people that get on the interstate slowly.. You should be doing the speed limit by time you hit the end of the ramp..

I75 here in town is only 2 lanes and this one exit is on the left versus the right like most areas and someone actually stopped in the right lane.. I mean a Dead stop to try and get over.. I was in the left lane thankfully but they almost caused a major major accident

·
Registered
438 Posts
omg you people dont' understand lol you gotta go to Massachusetts to see what I'm talking about... obviously I'm not saying people should be doing things in their car that distract them from driving.. I just don't like those who drive RIGHT at the speed limit, slow down when getting on the freeways (I speed up and match the flow so it's easy to merge... as do most others up here), don't know how to navigate a roundabout, take 5 minutes to merge from one lane to another, etc.....

You get my point LOL
As much as I agree about going with the flow of traffic, I can't agree about being mad at people for going the speed limit. I get mad when they go under the speed limit, but can't fault someone for not wanting to break the law. Yes, everyone does it, and there is usually a buffer that isn't considered speeding by the police, but technically, 1 mph over is breaking the law. I do it, regularly, but can't be mad at someone else for not wanting to.

·
Registered
749 Posts
As much as I agree about going with the flow of traffic, I can't agree about being mad at people for going the speed limit. I get mad when they go under the speed limit, but can't fault someone for not wanting to break the law. Yes, everyone does it, and there is usually a buffer that isn't considered speeding by the police, but technically, 1 mph over is breaking the law. I do it, regularly, but can't be mad at someone else for not wanting to.
I love this convo.. LOL

Too bad I'm failing to mention every single detail... obviously I don't have a problem with those going right at the speed limit if it's a local road or something.. I'm talking about those idiots on the freeways that go in the fast/passing lane and set their cruise control to 60-65mph... holding everyone else up that wants to pass..

Like I also said.. I'm talking about MA... we're AWFUL drivers it's something we're actually known for (look up "Masshole")... LOL

·
Registered
749 Posts
Insurance adjuster called and is coming out tomorrow to write an estimate and take pics,

and omg I hate those people that get on the interstate slowly.. You should be doing the speed limit by time you hit the end of the ramp..

I75 here in town is only 2 lanes and this one exit is on the left versus the right like most areas and someone actually stopped in the right lane.. I mean a Dead stop to try and get over.. I was in the left lane thankfully but they almost caused a major major accident
sorry for hijacking your thread... LOL..... but definitely let us know what goes on with the adjuster!

I remember when I got in a crash a couple months ago.. I was so impatient I drove to the insurance offices the next day and had them estimate, photograph, and prep everything so I could take it to the auto shop the same day....

And I'm glad you agree with me regarding the freeway on-ramps :p

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The adjuster came out and looked at the car and took info/pics and all that jazz. he is going to send it to the claims adjuster and they will let me know in a few days!~

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry for hijacking your thread... LOL..... but definitely let us know what goes on with the adjuster!

I remember when I got in a crash a couple months ago.. I was so impatient I drove to the insurance offices the next day and had them estimate, photograph, and prep everything so I could take it to the auto shop the same day....

And I'm glad you agree with me regarding the freeway on-ramps :p
hehe its all good..

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love this convo.. LOL

Too bad I'm failing to mention every single detail... obviously I don't have a problem with those going right at the speed limit if it's a local road or something.. I'm talking about those idiots on the freeways that go in the fast/passing lane and set their cruise control to 60-65mph... holding everyone else up that wants to pass..

Like I also said.. I'm talking about MA... we're AWFUL drivers it's something we're actually known for (look up "Masshole")... LOL

Just to clarify... actually you DID mention this detail. I know what you're saying, and I'm not trying to nitpick, but to quote you:
.. I just don't like those who drive RIGHT at the speed limit, .....

You are calling out the right at the speed limit thing, and all I was saying is that as much as this may annoy me, I remind myself not to be mad about it because I can't really fault someone who wants to obey the law. I'm not commenting on anything else, the other points, or any other commentary, nor am I reading into your comment to pull out things you didn't detail.

I actually agree with what you're saying. It was just that one point.

To the OP: Good luck. Every insurance claim I've ever had to deal with for property/casualty has been a royal pain in the ass. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just to clarify... actually you DID mention this detail. I know what you're saying, and I'm not trying to nitpick, but to quote you:

You are calling out the right at the speed limit thing, and all I was saying is that as much as this may annoy me, I remind myself not to be mad about it because I can't really fault someone who wants to obey the law. I'm not commenting on anything else, the other points, or any other commentary, nor am I reading into your comment to pull out things you didn't detail.

I actually agree with what you're saying. It was just that one point.
Ehh yeah I guess.. but I just wish the state police would make them travel in the middle or right lanes so that us arseholes who want to cruise over-the-limit may do so in the left lane without flattening out face on the horn to get them to move over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.