Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents; While wiring in remote locks keyfobs to my son's 2005 Classic, I went to the BCM (under the glove box) and probed some wires. All of a sudden the locks stopped working (relays click though) and the overhead interior light and trunk light stopped working. I decided I damaged the BCM somehow and purchased a used one with the same serial number. I disconnected the car's battery and uninstalled the old BCM and installed the new (used) BCM. Much to my amazement, the auto has the exact same problems....locks don't work along with the overhead interior light and trunk light not working. Another mystery is that I had to do the "security procedure" to make the car run but the odometer mileage remains the same. Scratching my head on this one......

·
Administrator
17,134 Posts
The BCM has 12V as well as computer data lines running to it. If you probed one of those data lines, you may (or may not) have damaged a part of the BCM.

Having locks that don't work needs some investigation. Start with:
  1. do they work when the car is shifted into/out of Park, or when the key is turned off, depending on personalization settings?
  2. do they work with the door switches?
  3. do they work with the fob?
Once you can answer those questions, you'll be in a better position to fix the locks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Park drive neutral reverse engine on engine off etc etc. the locks won't work with the switch on the driver's or passenger's door....relays click though. The stumbler to me is that the dome and trunk are not working either. I've checked all of the fuses in all three fuse boxes. I'm at a loss......DD ur my hero!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm an imbecile when it comes to wiring.What complicates things for me is that the lock switch is wired to the BCM and grounds the lock wiring with a resister on the unlock side and no resister on the lock side. Then the BCM sends some sort of signal to the relays. Then the relays take over and do their thing with the locks.....If I can hear the relays clicking why aren't the locks working.....I bet it has something to do with the constant hot wire on the #30 terminal of the relay but I don't know....the rest of my day is ruined!

·
Administrator
17,134 Posts
With the relay clicking then there should be power being sent to the locks. If so, then it may be that they have all finally given up and died.

Search for a sticky on how to bypass the stock lock motors and replace all 4 for around $50 plus your own labor. But that's so long as there's power going to the door locks to start with.

·
Registered
229 Posts
there is transmitter/receiver unit should be considered during installing after market key fob this unit looks like the BCM and fixed under the rear shelf behind the rear seats could be accessed from trunck. anyway i guess what happened is some wires should be connected / disconnected while adding new remote key fob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts