Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:(Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and new to owning a Malibu. I just bought on 08' Malibu LTZ V6 2 days ago, and having issues. I hope my case is just an isolated case, as I'm certainly dissapointed in what I'm about to tell you, since I spent six months decided on whether to buy an Accord, Camry, or Malibu.
Well after my wife and I decided we wanted to buy a Malibu, my search began. I ended up finding an 08 Malibu LTZ V6 in North Texas with only 2400 miles on the clock. I agreed on a price with the dealer, and this past Friday morning flew to Dallas to buy the car and drive the 1400 miles back to Miami, FL. Seems crazy, but the money we saved seemed worth it. Dealer picks me up, takes me to the dealership, I look the car over, test drive it, and buy it. Carfax was clean on the car, ect... The story the dealer told me was that an elderly couple bought the car in Jan this year, the wife passed, (it was her car) then the husband sold the car back to the same dealer he bought it new from, as he no longer needed it. I did some research, and it seemed to check out. It was a car I found on e-bay, and the dealer had 100% feedback. All seems well.

The first 1/2 of the first day driving the car back, all seemed well with the car, then I started noticing a hesitation issue with the car. The more I payed attention to the car, and the more used to the car I get, the more I really feel it. I think the car had the issue all along, but since it being a new car to me, you don't really notice things right away. Here is what's going on. When I am cruising, basically at any speed, then let off the gas coasting, I fell a hesitation, pulsing, vibrating feeling, as if the engine is missing, or the tranny is doing something strange. It's difficult to descibe the feeling in words, but it's like the car is lurching back and forth. You don't really feel it when you are accelerating moderately or stongly, but on normal acceleration, the hesitation is there. By the second day of the trip (yesterday), I am really dissapointed in this car. I am really feeling this vibration, hesitation, pulsing, lurching stongly. So strongly in fact, it is really making driving this car tiresome, as I am being almost constantly jerked back and forth on any type of normal acceleration, de-acceleration, or coasting. I arrived home after the 1400 mile trek in 2 days late last night, and here I am dissapointed and frustrated. I really want to like this car, and hope this can be fixed, as there is no way this can be normal.
All this morning, I have been doing research on-line to find this problem, and have not been able to find any mention of this in any web site I could find.
Needless to say, the car is going to my local dealer tomorrow to get checked out.

Has anyone heard of this issue with this car, or can anyone give me some advice? I hope I didn't get a lemon.

On a side note, when you are cruising with the cruise control on, the car is smooth and straight. I took the car to 100mph, just for a moment, and it didn't have any alignment or balance issues.

One other thing I noticed. With the engine on, and the car in park, I can feel the engine missing slightly at idle.

I really want to like this car, as besides the hesitation issue, it's a really nice car.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Rob.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The engine may just need time to break itself in. New cars do weird things. If you're still worried, have the dealer give it a thorough check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got almost 4k miles on it now. I'd say it should be broken in already. Besides, I've never experienced this with any other car I've bought new.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Please don't post the same thing in more than one place...BUT, that said, here was my post copied from your other thread:

Actually, sounds similar to some issues there were with early Saturn Aura's with the 3.6L (identical in every way under the skin). Owners reported random shaking at idle as well as that feeling under deceleration. Oddly, same thing with the pushrod 3.5L used in a lot of Aura's and G6's still, and I'm having a bit of it in my G6.

I believe it's a programming issue related to the lean/rich fuel/air mixture and something else. But what's odd is I haven't seen this brought up in relation to any '08s, Aura or Malibu, but you never know.

Here's a couple of the Aura threads discussing similar things:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103797&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97744&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96912&highlight=rough+idle

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85241&highlight=rough+idle

Especially in the first link, the symptoms sound IDENTICAL. Still weird that an '08 Malibu would suffer from any of it, but it can happen. Feels like it's stumbling or chugging? If so, I think that's because it is. Same thing with my '08 G6 3.5L, despite being a different powertrain.

There may be a computer update but as I haven't heard anything much about this, it's only a guess. Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
135 Posts
what kinda gas you running it it? i found that the 100% gasoline works the best. 10% ethanol wasn't helping anything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One other thing I noticed. With the engine on, and the car in park, I can feel the engine missing slightly at idle.
Yes someone else complained about this also on this forum, they had it checked out and found this is normal. This is the car trying to use the least amount of fuel possible when idling. I tried to find the post but no luck.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Good thing--as you replied in the other thread--that those Aura problems I posted are EXACTLY what is happening in your Malibu.

Hopefully there's a computer flash update, but I don't know. That's the main issue, programming.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good thing--as you replied in the other thread--that those Aura problems I posted are EXACTLY what is happening in your Malibu.

Hopefully there's a computer flash update, but I don't know. That's the main issue, programming.
The AURA has been out for nearly 2 years, why hasn't GM corrected these problems yet?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The AURA has been out for nearly 2 years, why hasn't GM corrected these problems yet?

Maybe GM doesn't see it as a problem, but a fuel-saving feature? Just like the problem I thought I had with my 08 Malibu. I thought something was wrong with the way the engine speed was changing while using cruise, but GM told the dealer that it's normal. I drove another 08 with the same engine/tranny and saw it happen there, too. As odd as it is, apparently it's normal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe GM doesn't see it as a problem, but a fuel-saving feature? Just like the problem I thought I had with my 08 Malibu. I thought something was wrong with the way the engine speed was changing while using cruise, but GM told the dealer that it's normal. I drove another 08 with the same engine/tranny and saw it happen there, too. As odd as it is, apparently it's normal.
As long as it's normal, all cars behave differently.

·
Registered
201 Posts
any update? It s NOT normal. If the dealer won thelp call GM Customer Service and make your complaint, they will get involved to resolve the issue. I ve used them before when the dealer wouldn t help or was not competent enough to help. 1800-222-1020.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ttt.

Haven't been on this forum in a while, but seems like I was the first to report this issue. Bumping this thread to get more exposure. This car is driving me nuts. I don't even drive it all that much any longer, my wife does. I call it the shake, rattle and roll mobile.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ttt.

Haven't been on this forum in a while, but seems like I was the first to report this issue. Bumping this thread to get more exposure. This car is driving me nuts. I don't even drive it all that much any longer, my wife does. I call it the shake, rattle and roll mobile.
Why didn't you have the dealer fix the problem? It has a power train warranty for 5 years/100k miles from original service date. Just take it to them and don't take it back until it works properly.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
ttt.

Hey,

We purchased TWO brand spanking new 2008 Malibu's, in August 2008. Until today I hadn't had a single issue with my car. Today the alarm system went off for no reason. I say no reason because we live in the country, and I'm pretty sure that the chipmunks weren't trying to break in! Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end. I have 22,000 miles on my car already and was hoping to get alot more out of it before encountering any problems. We shall see.

Now, my spouse, on the other hand...has been having a terrible time. Our OTHER new Malibu, which only has around 10,000 miles sounds like it has the same issue you spoke about. At 60 mph there is no problem whatsoever...but when hitting around 35-55, it starts to hesitate, or really more feels like it is slipping in and out of 4th gear, but it is constantly until it gets past 55mph, then it seems fine. While this is going on though, the RPM gauge is moving up and down, kinda looks like it is bouncing up about 300 or 400 rpm each time.

So, we bring the car to the dealership and they can't find any problems, but tell us there is a flash update. They give it this computer update that is supposed to 'fix' the problem.

On our way home, it is literally WORSE...after the update the car is now idling erratically, and the RPM gauge now goes up and down like as if it's being constantly shocked. It actually JUMPS by 600-800 RPM...yet still feels the same as before...like maybe it's just an electrical problem with the rpm gauge, or the transmission control module?

Needless to say, since I have no problems with MY car, I'm not having it looked at.

My spouse is completely disgusted, however, and no longer wants to even drive the car and has recently been caught driving the crap out of it in anger!

Personally, I've always been a GM guy, but in the past few years I've been getting discouraged. From wipers on my 2000 Sunfire GT to the wipers on my 2007 Cobalt SS...a problem that was apparently never fixed...I should have probably gone with an import. I just hate the thought of NOT supporting the Canadian/American economy and buying an import...just can't do it. Yet, I have a 1983 Cutlass sitting here in my yard that starts every single time and everything works on it...what gives? haha

At any rate, now you know it's not just you...I would suggest taking it to a dealership that is reputable and telling them exactly what I said about the update and see if they can do anything else for you.

Good luck, we're still fighting...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.