Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last couple years, I enjoyed Malibu during my business trips so much, I decided to pull the trigger on one. There was also no time to waste after I learned they are no longer making 2.0T model with Premier trim. Last year model is 2022 and I just got one. Here are few fun facts I learned during first day of ownership:

The 2.0T engine really makes a difference vs. 1.5 I am renting when travelling.

The nice taupe interior with brown dashboard really makes me smile every day I get inside. Here in SE Florida heat the non-black dash is a savier, if you ever travelled here you know what difference does it make.

Dealer told me this particular vehicle comes with no heated steering wheel, despite of the sticker info. Something I really don't care here where I live. How surprised I was when driving home to find a button and press it to find it does have heated steering wheel. Go figure.

Big surprise was to find no spare tire included, instead some sealer and inflating kit in the trunk.

Thanks God for my vehicle having no engine auto shut off when stopped at traffic lights, something I hate when driving rentals. And no need to lock the seat belts to switch gear to D. I am still sane and smart enough to fasten these before I hit the road. And perhaps not when manoeuvering on my driveway or in carwash.

I love how effortlessly it let itself drvie. Unlike my BMW 330 series which is nowhere near this ease of steer unless you hit 80mil/h threshold.

Aside of unpleasant purchase process when dealer was trying to rip me off on this car, something I successfully deflected, I have nothing but fun when using it. Hope it lasts.

· Registered
34 Posts
@eskwadrat

This might be a solution to your no spare tire problem.

· Registered
18 Posts
Make sure you use a dexos oil. Like many others my Premier 2.0 blew pistons around 90,000. Some here think it was caused by the oil I was using. I had bought Pennzoil Ultra Platinum thinking it was the best available but someone pointed out the step down Pennzoil Platinum is dexos licensed but the Ultra Platinum isn't because of calcium content. Also make sure you use the recommended premium 93 fuel. It's expensive but that's what it is designed for. Mine was a dog when I had to use regular out in Colorado and driving home to Oklahoma.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,021 Posts
For some oil pointers, find the YouTube channel for "Project Farm" and look up his motor oil tests. 'Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.' — Sgt. Joe Friday on Dragnet

· Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Top Tier, 91 octane is recommended (according to the owners manual) along with the newest Dexos 1 (currently Dexos 1 Generation 3) will serve you just fine...plenty to choose from...her 2013 2.0T gets Costco Top Tier 93 octane and Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic...

enjoy your ride

Bill

· Registered
2020 Malibu
72 Posts
This might be a solution to your no spare tire problem.
For any Premier model there really is no viable option for a spare tire. I own a Premier and soon after I acquired it I wanted to get a real spare tire. The Premier model uses 19" wheels with 245/40R19 sized tires. The diameter of that combination is 26.75", so any spare tire you might get needs to have the same diameter. This is very important if you were to get a flat of either front tire and put the spare on the front axle. If the spare is not the same diameter as the regular wheel/tire combo, then the differential in the trans will be working 100% of the time when the vehicle is moving because the two wheels will be turning at different RPMs, and that can destroy the differential and possibly damage the transmission.
Why is this an issue for the Premier? Because the spare tire well in the trunk of the car is like 24" across, so you could only put a spare tire in it that is smaller than 24" in diameter. I had verified this on my own car, and as such did not go looking for a viable spare wheel/tire combo. I would not have been able to put it in the trunk well.

Food for thought...

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
There will inevitably be owners that come saying that 91 octane is recommended for the 2.0T and other owners that say "wrong, 93 octane is recommended". To clear up potential confusion: everyone's right. GM couldn't make up their mind what octane to recommend on the 2.0T LTG and changed it from year to year. Up to and including 2016 they recommended 91 octane or higher for the 2.0T LTG. Then for whatever reason (knocking, engine damage, speculate whatever who knows) they changed that to 93 octane in 2017. In the 2022 model year, probably because premium became very expensive and 93 isn't even available in some locations, they went to 91 octane or greater recommended. Then they just threw up arms and discontinued the whole thing for the 2023 model year.

Summary for quick reference:
2013 91 octane or higher recommended
2014 91 octane or higher recommended
2015 91 octane or higher recommended
2016 91 octane or higher recommended
2017 93 octane highly recommended
2018 93 octane highly recommended
2019 93 octane highly recommended
2020 93 octane highly recommended
2021 93 octane highly recommended
2022 91 octane or greater recommended

All years have a similar owner's manual disclaimer that reads:
For vehicles with the 2.0L L4 engine, premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 93 is highly recommended for best
performance and fuel economy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rated as low as 87 can be used. Using unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane, however, will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy. If knocking occurs, use a gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as possible, otherwise, the engine could be damaged. (from 2017 owner's manual)

Premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating (R+M)/2 of 91 or greater is recommended. If unavailable, unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 may be used, but will result in reduced performance and drivability. (from 2022 owner's manual)

· Registered
8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Why is this an issue for the Premier? Because the spare tire well in the trunk of the car is like 24" across, so you could only put a spare tire in it that is smaller than 24" in diameter. I had verified this on my own car, and as such did not go looking for a viable spare wheel/tire combo. I would not have been able to put it in the trunk well.
I finally got a chance to measure the spare tire well on the wife's Malibu and I get the same as you did, about 24" at the bottom. So I have to wonder how the "Modern Spare" can say they say their spares fit. They say that their spare is 25.5". I plan to contact them to make sure and if it doesn't fit who would be responsible for return shipping.
Organism Font Screenshot Rectangle Number

I'm also wondering if I could let all the air out if it would fit, the Malibu already has a compressor that I could use to air the tire up when needed. Although that would need to be TESTED before any kind of trust could be placed on that system. It would also take up space in the trunk, since it would no longer fit below.

· Registered
33 Posts
I finally got a chance to measure the spare tire well on the wife's Malibu and I get the same as you did, about 24" at the bottom. So I have to wonder how the "Modern Spare" can say they say their spares fit. They say that their spare is 25.5". I plan to contact them to make sure and if it doesn't fit who would be responsible for return shipping.
View attachment 73666

I'm also wondering if I could let all the air out if it would fit, the Malibu already has a compressor that I could use to air the tire up when needed. Although that would need to be TESTED before any kind of trust could be placed on that system. It would also take up space in the trunk, since it would no longer fit below.
Hi. Check this out 84631871 - Genuine GM Tire Kit, Spa I have one of these kits for my 17 Premier (GM part # 84631871). Also, there is a discussion under "Gen 9 Wheels, Tires & Suspension", look for a thread titled "spare tire/jack question". The can of Redi-Whip that you get with the car is basically useless in most cases. Also, it has an expiration date of about 2 yrs. (check the can). Good luck with your 'Bu. ...RichB

· Registered
8 Posts
When I did the research on getting a spare for my 2016 Premier Malibu with the 19 inch tires I Think I remember finding out the inner depth of the wheel on the smaller size tires would not allow for clearance over the rotor and brake caliper. I do not recall all the facts, but it was not supposed to work with the wheels off the other sizes.

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,627 Posts
View attachment 73666

For that much money, you'd be insane not to buy a full size spare matching your wheels on ebay.

· Registered
8 Posts
For that much money, you'd be insane not to buy a full size spare matching your wheels on ebay.
You are very spot on with the cost. The problem is a full size will not fit in the well made for the spare and the modern spare will fit there. Lose a lot of trunk laying the full size on top. Hard not to have a spare with the low profile 19 inch tires on the Premier and hoping not to ever have a flat or bent wheel.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
I have a 2018 Premier with the stock wheels and bought the LT spare tire kit off eBay. I had a front flat last year and drove 10 miles on the spare just fine. The Premier and LT diameter are both 26.7.
Hi. Check this out 84631871 - Genuine GM Tire Kit, Spa I have one of these kits for my 17 Premier (GM part # 84631871). Also, there is a discussion under "Gen 9 Wheels, Tires & Suspension", look for a thread titled "spare tire/jack question". The can of Redi-Whip that you get with the car is basically useless in most cases. Also, it has an expiration date of about 2 yrs. (check the can). Good luck with your 'Bu. ...RichB
This is the best option to rid the Premier goop kit and have a functional spare that fits. The Premier has 18 or 19" stock wheels/tires that are the same diameter as the LT's 17 or 18" wheels/tires. The rotors, calipers, and suspension are the same between the LT/Premier. These owners and several others have purchased the spare kit from GM or eBay and used it with no problems. Personally if faced with a front flat I always planned to put my spare on the rear and use the rear on the front.

Reactions: tnmats

· Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,627 Posts
You are very spot on with the cost. The problem is a full size will not fit in the well made for the spare and the modern spare will fit there. Lose a lot of trunk laying the full size on top. Hard not to have a spare with the low profile 19 inch tires on the Premier and hoping not to ever have a flat or bent wheel.
I was unaware that it lacked the space for a full size spare. That's good to know! My SS came with a full size spare and my 7th gen (to my knowledge) had enough room for one as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts