Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a K&N air filter on their malibu? If so does it make any differance at all,(mpg or performance)? Thinking about it for my 09 2LT 4cyl/6spd. I have been averaging 27 mpg since purchase 5 months ago. Just looking to better that if i could.....Thanx

·
Registered
17 Posts
They do flow more air but some studies show they allow more dirt also. IMHO there would not be enough difference to justify the cost unless you spemd most of your driving time above 3000 rpms.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i installed one but i drive my car hard, so i dident notice a difference. it CANT hurt

but to really see a benefit you need a whole CAI. no one offers one yet but with a little creativity you can fab one up pretty easy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
At best you might see 1mpg improvement with just the drop in filter. Unless you have one WICKEDLY dirty stock filter. My 03 didn't see much of a gain, but WOT is a bit throatier than it was originally. But as stated, the best option is to fab up a full CAI or WAI.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on K&N. I bought them in the past, but it's really not worth the $$$ for the marginal gains you get and the extra dirt they let in. Now that they make paper filters last forever there really is no point.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yea i really lost faith in k&n when i had oil all in the intake of my truck (and no i don't make my filters oil logged) now if i got CAI then it will have a k&n on it. but as far as stock wise. the stock one is pretty damn good

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yea i really lost faith in k&n when i had oil all in the intake of my truck (and no i don't make my filters oil logged) now if i got CAI then it will have a k&n on it. but as far as stock wise. the stock one is pretty damn good
Look at AEM or S&B filters. I have heard that they are better than K&N.

·
Registered
307 Posts
my problem with them is they are not easily available. If i want a k&n it is a 5 min drive to my local parts store and there it is. (or next day)

AEM is a dry flow correct? one you just "blow" out

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I installed one in my 08. Did not see any mpg improvements I am sorry to say. I do like the fact that I should never have to replace the filter. I have the recharge kit so I can clean it any time I feel like it. Doubt that I ever buy another though since there was no gain in mpg.

hth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i would recommend it because one, i did notice an increase in fuel efficiency and two, i did notice an increase in power. i have an 03 malibu ls

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 08 Bu ( boxy style) and I gained about 1-3 MPH hwy and a little better performance with a drop in. If I were you I would go with the fab like they are saying.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Look at AEM or S&B filters. I have heard that they are better than K&N.
S&B filters are much better! They filter to a smaller micro than K&N and at one time S&B actually made filters for K&N until they sold an old filter making machine to K&N. I have a CAI on my 2000 with the S&B filter and you can see improvements, any amount of improvement is worth the effort.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used these filters on the last 2 cars I traded in also have one on my 84 Monte SS and on my wifes SUV I havnt bought one for my 09 yet but I love them , for what they want to replace a paper filter it is well worth buying a K&N. never had any problems with them and the did improve my milage a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.