Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2012 Malibu LS and every time I get in the vehicle to start it the DIC displays a message "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW". The problem is the battery is not low. Based on this message, I replaced the battery with the recommended type (2032) and the FOB works perfect. All functions work as they should and it has terrific range.

Anyone else ever run into this and if so, how did you resolve?

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Do you have any other FOBs within range that it could be picking up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No just the one. And it behaves the same no matter where the vehicle is. I found something on-line that suggests disconnecting the battery for 60 seconds to re-set everything, I just might try that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, The problem was finally solved!

I took the car back to the dealer where I bought it and based on some research I conducted on the internet asked them to do a reset. So the service manager took my car back and disconnected both battery cables. He told me they just hold the two cables together and it performs a re-set of some sort. He gave it a name, but I don' remember the exact name.

In any case, the annoying message is gone. I hope this information helps others that might experience the same issue because even though it is a unique problem, I have seen many others experience it.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,576 Posts
How funny would it be if it turned out the second fob was lost inside the car by the previous owner? Thereby perpetually triggering the low battery warning until it drained completely to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Hopefully that helps the problem! But do post back if it doesn't, we're interested in what you may find.

I remember I lost a set of keys in my Impala, never found them until the body shop ripped the seats out because I had water intrusion on the passenger side of the vehicle and they returned the keys to me. I knew I lost them but I'll be darned if I could ever find them on my own. You never know, this could be an issue too, who knows!

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I "thought" it was fixed. The problem went away for a day and a half, but last night it happened again. Then this morning everything appeared good and no message was displayed. So at least we have progressed to an intermittent problem. So back to the dealer tomorrow. They are being really cool about it and told me they will do whatever it takes to correct the issue. I'm thinking just a new FOB is in order.

Car runs like a top and everything else is great, just this one little annoying issue that needs to be resolved.

What is interesting is if you search this problem on line, it is very common. And there is a post on just about every car forum out there; Tesla, BMW, Volkswagen, Honda, Ford. The frustrating part is not once have I found a response that tells how to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Appreciate you coming back and giving us an update. Let us know what the dealer finds and whatnot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well NOW it is finally solved for good. We concluded it was due to the fact that the FOB was one of those inferior after-market type. So I purchased a GM original FOB from the dealership and they programmed it for me for free. The FOB cost me $83, but it was so worth it to get rid of this one pesky problem.

These cars today have so many electronic components / systems and 1 little part of the network being faulty or week and it can cause all sorts of quirky issues.

In any case my Malibu is now 100% right and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I "thought" it was fixed. The problem went away for a day and a half, but last night it happened again. Then this morning everything appeared good and no message was displayed. So at least we have progressed to an intermittent problem. So back to the dealer tomorrow. They are being really cool about it and told me they will do whatever it takes to correct the issue. I'm thinking just a new FOB is in order.

Car runs like a top and everything else is great, just this one little annoying issue that needs to be resolved.

What is interesting is if you search this problem on line, it is very common. And there is a post on just about every car forum out there; Tesla, BMW, Volkswagen, Honda, Ford. The frustrating part is not once have I found a response that tells how to fix it.
Hey wish I had seen this before you baught that. The dealerships know the salution but they can make more selling you a new fob. As you said you bot the new fob and the programed it. Truth is when changing the batter you have to program it aswell. So sorry your out 80 bucks. I'm a computer hardware technician for 20 years now. You swap the batter in the fob then follow the reprogram fob process of your make and model. The car only knows what the fob last reported. Low battery is a fault code so it sends it to the ecu to alert the driver. When you replace the battery there is no code to send. The fob knows its in good shape. So you reprogram the fob sending the new data telling the car there is no longer a fob fault code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2012 Malibu LS and every time I get in the vehicle to start it the DIC displays a message "KEY FOB BATTERY LOW". The problem is the battery is not low. Based on this message, I replaced the battery with the recommended type (2032) and the FOB works perfect. All functions work as they should and it has terrific range.

Anyone else ever run into this and if so, how did you resolve?

Thank you,
Yes, just solved this issue on my 2011 Chevrolet Malibu after months of it driving me crazy. As another user mentioned, you need to reprogram the fob as if it was a new fob to reset/clear the low battery message. Not sure how it works for other models but for my car the programming is very simple: Get in car with key and keyless fob, close all doors, insert key into ignition and turn to On position without starting car (radio/lights will be on), now hold down both lock and unlock buttons on keyless fob until the horn honks twice, then release the keyless fob buttons and turn the key the rest of the way to start the car. You should hear the horn honk twice again and that’s it, programming complete. Hope it’s as easy for you as it was for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts