Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from 10 days in sunny Florida and something happened that I thought I would share. We rented a car and ended up with a Dodge Caliber. It was pretty basic and I was really wishing we had the Malibu down there. Anyway when it came time to get fuel for the Caliber I pulled into the gas station and realized I didn't know which side the filler was on, I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "look for a little arrow on the gas gauge, it will tell you which side the filler is on". Well I looked and sure enough there was a little arrow pointing to the drivers side. She went on to say the most new cars have this little arrow,, including the Malibu. Well when we got back to the airport and got in the Malibu, sure enough there is a little arrow on the gas guage pointing to the passenger side. She doesn't know where she heard about the arrows, but I am impressed. Anyone else know about these little arrows?

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah, i have heard about the arrows. however, i, for some reason am still not used to drving my malibu (and i got it in september), and i still pull up to the wrong side of the gas pump. little good those arrows do.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I knew about the arrows :) Also still has to make a mental effort not to pull up to the wrong side. What I don't understand is why can't pumps have longer hoses so it wouldn't matter which side you're on. I've seen that on a station in Russia when I was there some years ago and it made perfect sense - often on the crowded small stations in the city (and I am talking about Toronto not Moscow :)) I can't take the next pump that opens only because I am on the wrong side and maneuvering would take too long because there's someone on their correct side ready to pull in instead of me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the icons pump handle is also on the side that the tank opening is located.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I knew about this too from my wife. It annoys me the filler is on the passenger side though! Right after I bought my Bu they filled it up, so the first time I needed gas I was like......look at the little gas pump arrow....d'oh passenger side!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Well, I must say, I NEVER knew that...hah. Pretty useful, but I guess I just never noticed it.

I have to check my Aussie built G8 now. It should be no different, but as I've never looked that closely at the gauge, you never know. After my Cadillac Fleetwood where the gas filler was dead center in back behind the plate, any side filler has been a strange adjustment for me;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Every car ive owned has had the little arrow.. even my first one a 95 cavalier :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am aware of that arrow. But I guess once you know what side your gas cap is you don't need it any more. So it is not a big deal to me. When we are here, I would like to talk about what I like and dislike about this gas cap:
- The filler on passenger side is OK for me. I don't mind walking around behind the car to get to it. It is actually better for me as turning out where I fill my gas (Costco), we usually have long line, and because the passenger side gas cap is not popular, my line is usually shorter :)
- I don't like the fact that you can access the gas cap from outside. Aka anybody can open your filler. And yes I did hear horror stories that when the gas was up $4/gallon there are bad people tried to steal your gas when you are in a bad neighborhood. Or if somebody really hate you (for any reason), they can put salt in your gas tank and make you miserable... Sure you can buy a gas cap with lock but it is not convenient at all.... So I hope GM would secure the gas cap cover: only allow to release it from inside, like the trunk hood.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I knew about the arrow. Also ( it won t help you if your inside the car but..) the filler should be opposite the exhaust pipe side.(If a single exhaust only).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another thing, she s pretty smart for seeing that. My wife once pulled into our driveway and told me the "little tea pot" light came on while she was driving home. She did not know what it was. WHAT!! It was the oil light and she drove it home several miles after bottoming out on a construction roadway and breaking the oil filter causing ALL the oil to drain.

·
Registered
112 Posts
most of the time the side of the instrument panel with the gas gauge is the side that the tank opening is on with some exception like lexus. so if it is on the right side the opening is on the right side.

·
Registered
749 Posts
most of the time the side of the instrument panel with the gas gauge is the side that the tank opening is on with some exception like lexus. so if it is on the right side the opening is on the right side.
The arrow underneath or beside the fuel gauge indicator will tell you which side the door is on. Doesn't necessarily matter which side the indicator is on in the instrument panel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.