Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with there leather seat cracking on the 2008 to 2012 Malibu, I had the seat belt recalled done about 3 years ago and since then I notice foam like stuffing coming from under the driver side seat, as well as cracking on the left where the seat controls and leather meet, wondering,
if this is and issue with all the 2008 to 2012 Malibu, been checking out used Malibus with the leather seats online and most all are ha
ving the same issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My son is driving a 2008 LT with leather seats and he’s reporting no problems ... but only about 90,000 miles on it so far.

He’s also of slight build, too.

Not too long ago a co-worker and I were leaving work. This guy is 6’-6”+ and has to be pushing 300 lbs! We reached his Honda Accord first and I asked him how it was holding up. He said “fine, no problems ... except the leather seats!” I had to laugh because it was only the driver’s seat that looked beat up ... obviously caused by his almost 300-lb body continually hammering it day after day.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
My son is driving a 2008 LT with leather seats and he’s reporting no problems ... but only about 90,000 miles on it so far.

He’s also of slight build, too.

Not too long ago a co-worker and I were leaving work. This guy is 6’-6”+ and has to be pushing 300 lbs! We reached his Honda Accord first and I asked him how it was holding up. He said “fine, no problems ... except the leather seats!” I had to laugh because it was only the driver’s seat that looked beat up ... obviously caused by his almost 300-lb body continually hammering it day after day.
There's no leather in the seats of an LT trim level. They are leatherette and faux suede. It's a very attractive seat covering, but they don't hold up well. My 2009 LT had the driver's seat cover replaced under warranty from the seam fraying from ingress and egress, then by the time I sold it in 2017 the leatherette on the driver seat--which is the same one replaced--was splitting.

The LTZ trim had real leather seats. Unfortunately for any car with leather, if you don't periodically take care of it with cleaners and conditioners, 10 years is more than enough time for the material to deteriorate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's no leather in the seats of an LT trim level. They are leatherette and faux suede.
No faux suede on his LT seats that I can see. They look like some kind of leather to me. Maybe the dealer re-covered the seats in leather before reselling? B0BB84A6-2245-467A-9F11-DA25482E528A.jpeg

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,143 Posts
My 2009 2LT came with UltraLux seat covers. That is what @cp-the-nerd described above: a fake suede center portion with a good grade of vinyl for the smooth surfaces. To get actual leather you had to have an LTZ.

Both of my 2011s have been LTZs and both came with leather.

Based on your picture, it looks very likely that the seat was reupholstered with leather. I say that because of the manual lever for the recline function, which is electric on the LTZ seats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone had issues with there leather seat cracking on the 2008 to 2012 Malibu, I had the seat belt recalled done about 3 years ago and since then I notice foam like stuffing coming from under the driver side seat, as well as cracking on the left where the seat controls and leather meet, wondering,
if this is and issue with all the 2008 to 2012 Malibu, been checking out used Malibus with the leather seats online and most all are ha
ving the same issue.
I have the same issue as well with my 2013 Chevy Malibu LTZ.The cracking of the leather seams to be common from what I researched in the very same area. If you happen to find a solution; please share your feedback.

·
Administrator
18,143 Posts
@Divina
Even though your issue is the same, and you're most welcome to post your comments and concerns, if you should need to start a new thread, you may find that using the Gen8 section will provide the best opportunity at that time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2009 2LT came with UltraLux seat covers. That is what @cp-the-nerd described above: a fake suede center portion with a good grade of vinyl for the smooth surfaces. To get actual leather you had to have an LTZ.

Both of my 2011s have been LTZs and both came with leather.

Based on your picture, it looks very likely that the seat was reupholstered with leather. I say that because of the manual lever for the recline function, which is electric on the LTZ seats.
Thanks! Good to know. I always buy my cars brand new and therefore know what they come with from the factory, but my Dad bought this one used at a Chevy dealer (while he was there for some other reason). I would never do such a thing ... big mistake!

·
Administrator
18,143 Posts
Thanks! Good to know. I always buy my cars brand new and therefore know what they come with from the factory, but my Dad bought this one used at a Chevy dealer (while he was there for some other reason). I would never do such a thing ... big mistake!
Buying used is not a bad thing, or even a mistake. If you know how to inspect a used vehicle, you can make a fairly well-informed judgment about its condition, plus you usually walk away without the attendant loss of value by just buying it and driving it off the lot.

Buying new is not bad, either.

But the attitude you present seems a bit condescending. If I'm reading that wrong, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
90% of car owners do not take care of their leather seats.
Leather has to be treated with conditioners regularly . Sun and heat dry it out, it's cow skin, people skin dries out too but we use conditioners on it. How would your ''hide'' be if it was parked in the blazing summer sun on a regular basis.
Even vinyl or ''pleather'' needs conditioning to combat drying out.
I've found mink oil to be the best all around, even works wonders on snowmobile seat covers keeping them from drying out and not making them slippery.
Its called maintenance, a oil add for seats like a oil change for the engine. It's in the owners manual.

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,005 Posts
Buying used is not a bad thing, or even a mistake. If you know how to inspect a used vehicle, you can make a fairly well-informed judgment about its condition, plus you usually walk away without the attendant loss of value by just buying it and driving it off the lot.

Buying new is not bad, either.

But the attitude you present seems a bit condescending. If I'm reading that wrong, please let me know.
I don't think it was intended to be condescending. I read it as he was putting emphasis on the fact that he buys new after an informed decision, but his father impulsively bought this car used and didn't know its history.

I personally disagree with the idea that buying used is a bad idea, after my wife and I bought our recent cars brand new for reasons that were important to us, we agreed not to buy new again unless we were bursting at the seams with money. You can buy a car 1-2 years old with less than 25k miles and save 1/3 of the original price, for a daily driver vehicle that's a no brainer.

·
Administrator
18,143 Posts
It looks like I read it wrong. Thanks for clarifying. If my comments offended anyone, especially @Colt Hero, I apologize.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No offense. cp-the-nerd is correct. I meant I would never walk into a dealership for servicing or parts and end up being talked into buying a car. And my father wouldn't normally have done that, either ... but at the end of his life he started doing some things that were out-of-character for him. Fortunately, I think this 2008 Malibu he bought is a good vehicle. I was worried when I found out it had the 2.4L engine (because I was thinking about the Equinox/Terrain 2.4L debacle), but it's a different 2.4 with, apparently, a good track record. My father just got lucky because I know he had no idea what he was buying.

And yeah ... I would buy a used car (now) at this point in my life because I've done enough of my own repair work over the years to know what to look for - especially the models I've bought new. Or, like cp-the-nerd said ... you buy one a year or two old, dodge the depreciation, and still get a vehicle you can run just as long as if you bought it new.

·
Administrator
18,143 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up and being cool about it. I appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts