Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
annoying might I add, it's like GM decided to make the 08 malibus un-serviceable for people..... to get to the tail lights alot of annoying things need to be removed, and to fit LED bulbs into the stock lens it needs to be sanded around the edges....... I idiot forgot to get the resistors so I got the hyper flash going on..... but elsewise it's looking pretty good. Will upload pis later tonight on how it looks

·
Registered
40 Posts
annoying might I add, it's like GM decided to make the 08 malibus un-serviceable for people..... to get to the tail lights alot of annoying things need to be removed, and to fit LED bulbs into the stock lens it needs to be sanded around the edges....... I idiot forgot to get the resistors so I got the hyper flash going on..... but elsewise it's looking pretty good. Will upload pis later tonight on how it looks
I would love to know where you got the HID conversion kit. I keep getting told that they won't work because of the computers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
here are some pics, night and day shots

Night:

And Day:

was a pain in the ass I might add, at first I broke the socket on the right side because the bulb got stuck in (brought it to a shop and he fixed the socket) had to file down the light housing because the bulbs were wider then the stock ones and had to file down the bulbs edges as the chevy sockets were too tight (as you can see in the night pictures the right side is brighter then the left, that was because of the socket being broken however now thats fixed and both are emiting the same brightness)

All in all im satisfied, Only problem is the Hyper flashing when I use the signals but I have the resistors ordered so they should arrive in the next few days, also the license plate looks too dim as it only uses one bulb so I might have to modify it to use two bulbs to get a better light output.

HID'S:
In regards to the HID's, whoever said they dont fit is just being a smartass. They do fit and I have NO ISSUES with the cars computer. I still have the DRL's and they work fine. Some people say you need a "smartswitch" because of the DRL's but I didn't use one. Just spliced the wires and I was good to go.
Any HID kit will work as they are universal you need to order a ***H11*** KIT

However the only real problem is getting to the bulb sockets in front. The whole bumper assembly NEEDS TO BE REMOVED! there is no way around that. To get to the bumper assembly you need to take off the splash guards in front where you will have access to the remaining 6 or so bolts.... it's a pain in the ass and expect to work on it for atleast 2-3 hours if inexperienced 1 hour if you have experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
here are some pics, night and day shots

Night:

And Day:

was a pain in the ass I might add, at first I broke the socket on the right side because the bulb got stuck in (brought it to a shop and he fixed the socket) had to file down the light housing because the bulbs were wider then the stock ones and had to file down the bulbs edges as the chevy sockets were too tight (as you can see in the night pictures the right side is brighter then the left, that was because of the socket being broken however now thats fixed and both are emiting the same brightness)

All in all im satisfied, Only problem is the Hyper flashing when I use the signals but I have the resistors ordered so they should arrive in the next few days, also the license plate looks too dim as it only uses one bulb so I might have to modify it to use two bulbs to get a better light output.

HID'S:
In regards to the HID's, whoever said they dont fit is just being a smartass. They do fit and I have NO ISSUES with the cars computer. I still have the DRL's and they work fine. Some people say you need a "smartswitch" because of the DRL's but I didn't use one. Just spliced the wires and I was good to go.
Any HID kit will work as they are universal you need to order a ***H11*** KIT

However the only real problem is getting to the bulb sockets in front. The whole bumper assembly NEEDS TO BE REMOVED! there is no way around that. To get to the bumper assembly you need to take off the splash guards in front where you will have access to the remaining 6 or so bolts.... it's a pain in the ass and expect to work on it for atleast 2-3 hours if inexperienced 1 hour if you have experience.
were did you mount the ballast for the hid? do you have any pictures you can send? if so please send them to my email [email protected]

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about posting some pics of the headlights?!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha I was just about to do that~

Process:

(After that there are about 6 or so bolts to remove the bumper assembly... didnt take pics of that though)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the end effect:

The kit is a 8000k kit however due to the large housing it looks more like 6000K which is pretty good because I get no issues with the Police.

The balasts are not even really mounted but rather just placed in the engine bay, but because it has such a tight fit they are pretty firm and wont slip.

After I removed the bumper and had the lights in I was too happy so I was over excited and forgot to take pictures..... but i will replace the front signals with LED's aswell so when I do that I can post pictures again~

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great, no issues with the DRLs or the computer?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None whatsoever!~~

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it possible to replace the entire tail light assembly to make the LT look like the LTZ? would the wiring be the same?
thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is possible and the wiring wont be much different then the stock ones however the assembly itself comes to about $700 Canadian dollars and besides the clear housing not much is different to the stock ones.... cheaper alternative would be to get the LTZ lenses and use the stock wiring. However you must find a part dealer willing to sell just the lenses without the bulbs and wiring which is the hard part.

-Ye Feng

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.