Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LED lights for Chevy Malibu 2017 premier 2.0 with pictures

Hi everyone,

I thought its nice to share my experience regarding LED headlights. Its been 2 weeks that I have the HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit 9005/HB3 installed on my car as you can see in the picture.https://ibb.co/bU48nv

They are a bit brighter than the original halogen. The cut off is ok, but not the best. I was able to fit everything in the headlight housing(no modification on the dust cap). Everything was plug and play.

I also changed the dome light in back seat to LED. It was very easy. I used Philips 127916000KB2 Vision LED Car Lamp. Its very nice . I changed license plate lights using the same bulb. They were all plug and play.

For trunk light I used SiriusLED Extremely Bright 3030 Chipset LED Bulbs very bright. I also wanted to change the back up lights to LED, but I found out that I need resistor and harness. I avoided that because of possible warranty issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi everyone,

I thought its nice to share my experience regarding LED headlights. Its been 2 weeks that I have the HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit 9005/HB3 installed on my car as you can see in the picture.https://ibb.co/bU48nv

They are a bit brighter than the original halogen. The cut off is ok, but not the best. I was able to fit everything in the headlight housing(no modification on the dust cap). Everything was plug and play.

I also changed the dome light in back seat to LED. It was very easy. I used Philips 127916000KB2 Vision LED Car Lamp. Its very nice . I changed license plate lights using the same bulb. They were all plug and play.

For trunk light I used SiriusLED Extremely Bright 3030 Chipset LED Bulbs very bright. I also wanted to change the back up lights to LED, but I found out that I need resistor and harness. I avoided that because of possible warranty issues.

The reverse lights do require a 50W/50Ohm resistor to be wired IN-LINE. You will only need 1 resistor for both the reverse lights.
You do NOT however need a harness. The bulbs should be plug and play minus the resistors.

Also As many here will tell you, read up on the warranty act. Simply installing the part does not void the warranty. They have to be able to prove that the specific added part caused the problem, for them to not cover the warranty.

I have a total of 7 resistors installed on my vehicle. 1 for every turn signal, and 1 for the reverse lights, and 1 for each headlamp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the Hikari 9005 lights. They do not fit into the light socket. The end of the bulb is to big for the hole. Did you have any problems??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Harley,

Please update with pictures of light color and cut off once installed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Amazon still haven't shipped these in 3 days. I canceled them and re ordered the Hikari. Not impressed because they have all been prime items

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am using the OPT7 LED kit. Great cut off with no glare and great illumination. They fit WITH the dust caps in place. Everything tucks nicely in the headlight housing. Easy plug-n-play with great results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACOCMLS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are the old version of OPT 7 high beam only! I suggest getting the new one called " Flux beam X" Take a closer look at regular Opt 7. They have different design
Here is the linlk for it https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Fluxbeam-Headlight-Bulbs-Arc-Beam/dp/B072K7MTNF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503158024&sr=8-1&keywords=fluxbeam+x+led+headlights+9005
These have 8,400LM, but Hikari has 9600LM. These that "OPT 7 flux beam X" that I sent you seems nice . However, they might not be as bright as Hikari. I really want to try other LED brands that have XHP70 chip on them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I noticed the updated version when looking for LED bulbs for the Malibu. I have been wanting to verify with OPT7 that the updated version have the same dimensions as the version I am using. I am perfectly happy with the performance of what is currently installed as I used them in my last DD.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed the updated version when looking for LED bulbs for the Malibu. I have been wanting to verify with OPT7 that the updated version have the same dimensions as the version I am using. I am perfectly happy with the performance of what is currently installed as I used them in my last DD.
It seems that the updated version is smaller. I am happy with mine too, but the new LED's are very attempting :grin: In terms of light design, this new OPT7 flux beam x looks way better than Hikari:crying:

·
Registered
150 Posts
According to the research I did OPT7 is pretty much at the top of the LED game right now. Plus, I like that it is a U.S. based company. I'm happy with their product.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi everyone,

Did you have a flicker issue with your bulbs? I just installed mine and they flicker pretty bad. I ordered the resistors now to hopefully rectify this.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Did you have a flicker issue with your bulbs? I just installed mine and they flicker pretty bad. I ordered the resistors now to hopefully rectify this.
I did not have any flicker issue.Do you have the Premier 2016-2017? Do you have the LED DRL?

If You have the Premier trim or LED DRL. You should not experience any flicker. This usually happens when incorrect voltage goes to the LEDs, but Premier uses single bulb for Low/High beam. LED DRLs are totally separate module.
I do NOT have any resistor what so ever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is the premier 2016. Not sure why they are flickering. I got no warnings on dashboard. I ordered the resistors we will see if that helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did resistors fixed your issue? I still think your lights might be defective because I did not need use resistors. Maybe 2016 uses different wiring harness ? I'm not sure

·
Registered
30 Posts
Resistors did not fix anything. In fact the lights completely stopped working when they were installed. Returning everything!! Not sure what the issue is. I guess I'm trying a different brand now. Hikari had not impressed me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What voltage does your dash display normally? Mine ranges anywhere from 13.4-15.1 this seems like a really big range. I am a harley mechanic and our systems maintain around a .5 volt range.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts