Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off all foreign auto makers gave extremely bogus MPG numbers for years and you all bought into that along with a plethora of other things.

Gm has always given more accurate if not lower averages on a number of things including HP and MPG.

Now what is your claim for your car.:)

I am sporting the Black Mako LTZ and should get 23-24 combined but now 17.5 only 400 miles:) It's just begging me everyday to push this thing past 4000rpms!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just hit 1,800 miles. I am averaging 21-24 mpg in the city and getting 25-28 mpg on the highway (Where I'm using cruise control). I am driving a 2008 Malibu 2LT with the V12 engine.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hell yeah!

·
Registered
512 Posts
2007 Malibu LS, 2.2L ECOTEC I-4, 28.8 MPG

·
Registered
293 Posts
With my 08 LS 4cyl 4spd...

I average anywhere from 25.5 - 26.0 driving my usual routine (a highway which averages 45-55mph...I average 60-70mph :D). On trips to Knoxville on I40 I get about 27mpg. It is full of inclines both ways, though, as I live at the top of a mountain and have to drive down into the Valley, and then back up to the Plateau (Anyone not from Tennessee...that just went over your head). Not the 30mpg I was hoping for, but the 4cyl performs well if I do not allow it to get below 60mph (Sometimes truckers like to jut out going 50 from the slow lane to fast lane when I'm ramming up at 80).

Brakes work good too :p

Oh, just broke 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
421 Posts
With my 08 LS 4cyl 4spd...

I average anywhere from 25.5 - 26.0 driving my usual routine (a highway which averages 45-55mph...I average 60-70mph :D). On trips to Knoxville on I40 I get about 27mpg. It is full of inclines both ways, though, as I live at the top of a mountain and have to drive down into the Valley, and then back up to the Plateau (Anyone not from Tennessee...that just went over your head). Not the 30mpg I was hoping for, but the 4cyl performs well if I do not allow it to get below 60mph (Sometimes truckers like to jut out going 50 from the slow lane to fast lane when I'm ramming up at 80).

Brakes work good too :p

Oh, just broke 10,000 miles.
Living in western NC, and being from eastern WV, I know exactly what you're talking about with the mountains and hills. I basically live at the bottom of a ~6 mile steep grade, and travel UP every day, then lesser up / down hills on into Asheville. But I tend to stick to the speed limit (65 or less), and my 08 LTZ V6 is paying me back well for the >90% highway driving like that, with 29.0 mpg overall so far, max of 32.2, min of 24.9, the last I logged it online. It's actually probably just a touch over 29 now, since all the tanks since then have been over that. Anyway, not too shabby for a strong V6. :)

(I missed out on the V12 package, darnit! :mad::p )

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Here's a short term one...

So far, I've had my '09 2LT V6 for 2 days and it now has 145 miles. Straight from work to home, resetting the Average, the first day I did 25.7mpg. Now after another day to work and back and some highway redlights and puttering around, it's down to 22mpg, including some ever so slightly firmer presses on the pedal by me.

Again, seems a lot like my pushrod 3.5L G6 it replaced, in mpg's--maybe a hair lower. Just will take more time to settle--so new--and me learning to drive it, and it learning my style.

I need to figure out what my mother's is in her '08 2LT 4-cyl after 9k miles, sometime, too. She only has a 3 mile back and forth (to, back, to, back) 5 or 6 days a week, so it's never great without warming up and lots of light to light, sign to sign. I think she's pretty much been at 21-22mpg average daily, as such, and 30+ on the highway infrequently.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I expected, and so far results have backed up, that the 3.6 gets lower fuel economy than the 3.5's. Of course, it's all relative. The 04 had a pre-VVT 3.5, along with the electric power steering system like the 2.4's have now, and it got around 4-5 mpg highway, and maybe 3 mpg better overall than our 3.6 gets (~34-36 all highway, ~32 all around, mid-20's in our "city" driving). I've heard and read that the newer 3.5 VVT with hydraulic power steering is down 1-2 mpg compared to the one we had, both all around and highway, for whatever reasons. But that still puts it a bit better than the new engine.

So don't be surprised if your longer term results are a shade lower for the 'bu than the Grand.. er, G6.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
So don't be surprised if your longer term results are a shade lower for the 'bu than the Grand.. er, G6.
Exactly. It seems, in my normal driving, and keeping the Instant MPG screen on, to be sucking a hair more, but it's hard to tell with 150 miles.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i26.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/09%20Malibu/October%201%202008/MVI_1031.flv">

The one time I hit the highway--as I posted a video from a test drive--it seems to get better, largely because of the 6-speed (i.e. loafing along) and because my G6 was a GT with shorter sport gearing. It could roar off the line, but then ran at 2k+ RPM on the highway.

We shall see, with time. I'm thinking I'll be able to maintain my low-mid 20's daily driving average, and get the typical 30-32 at least on highway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, with the 4cyl, I am averaging about 2.8k rpm at 80mph on as level of interstate as I can find. That is a little high, don't you guys think? Then again, going 70mph on the same strip will earn 2.3k rpm. The gearing of the 4spd is very odd...something I have to get used to.

I will testify, though, that at ~3.8k rpm at 90mph the Malibu with cruise control set on fair strip runs about 35mpg INST :D How's that for promoting speeding?

·
Registered
749 Posts
You Need Gas Yesterday!!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
You Need Gas Yesterday!!
Didn't I?

Yeah, that was the day it had just been driven over from the other dealer, and I wanted to drive it...the low gas warning chimed on my way back to the dealer.

·
Registered
749 Posts
omg I just noticed that it capitalized every word... I'm NOT stupid.. I did NOT do that!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
omg I just noticed that it capitalized every word... I'm NOT stupid.. I did NOT do that!
It's okay, we understand you being special:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
You should see what the 3.9L engines get..... :eek:
That's what I've heard! :p

But don't misunderstand me- I love the car with the 3.6. Quite a bit more power, and a lot more refined than the 3.5. Just that the 3.5 / 4AT is pretty underrated by the media and people in general. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did not know you could reset the MPG average. I drove off the lot with 11 MPG and now at 18.00 with 500 miles!

This engine is priceless!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I did not know you could reset the MPG average. I drove off the lot with 11 MPG and now at 18.00 with 500 miles!

This engine is priceless!
Oh YES, please, do that! I stick to doing it at a fill-up.

Otherwise, really, if you did nothing but city driving and then took a highway trip, how would you ever get a realistic number for either? Don't worry, that's a common question, and many never do and wonder what's wrong.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.