Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a certain size load balancing resistor we have to put in when we upgrade to LED front turn signals? and where do you wire it in at in the circuit? Do i need one for both sides? If someone could link me a thread where this is answered that would be great. Couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
2012 Malibu 2LT Switchblade Silver Metallic
49 Posts
You're gonna have 3 wires going to the turn signal bulb: ground, positive for the turn signal, and positive for the marker function. You'll want to wire up the load resistor between the ground and the positive for the turn signal. You will also have to do this to each turn signal bulb you switch over to LED, otherwise the hyperflashing will occur as the system thinks there's a dead bulb.

Also, make sure you've got some way to test the wiring, as if I recall correctly, the rear turn signals are marked as to which wire is which, but the front isn't. You can use either a multi-meter or a test light to find the turn signal bulb. Turn on either your turn signal, or your emergency flashers, and then start probing wires for the positive. You'll know you found the right wire when your tester sees an electric current powering on and off. Typically your ground will be black, so that should be an easy one.

Also, I used 6 Ohm, 50 Watt resistors on my front and rear, and it's given me no issues.
Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2012 Malibu 2LT Switchblade Silver Metallic
49 Posts
The same would go for the rear as well?
Yep! It's the same socket on the back as well, but, at least on my harness, the wires were labeled on the rear ones. If they're labeled, that'll save you a bit of time.
Just go ahead and wire them up as you would the front with the same load resistor. There needs to be 1 load resistor on each turn signal bulb that you change to LED. Same goes for if you add the LTZ LED tail lamps with the stock LTZ specific harness down the road too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep! It's the same socket on the back as well, but, at least on my harness, the wires were labeled on the rear ones. If they're labeled, that'll save you a bit of time.
Just go ahead and wire them up as you would the front with the same load resistor. There needs to be 1 load resistor on each turn signal bulb that you change to LED. Same goes for if you add the LTZ LED tail lamps with the stock LTZ specific harness down the road too.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
It needs to be rated to dissipate at least 25 watts.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
Check out other auto parts stores, or just go online and get 'em shipped (for free) to your favorite parts house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts