Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to lock the doors with a spare key fob while the car is running? I do not have push to start, but I want to be able to idle my car in the morning when it’s cold, but I am uncomfortable leaving it unlocked while doing so. I have two keys but it seems to spare fob doesn’t work while the car is running, is there any work around it is?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,840 Posts
I have a 2011, so not the same car.

I can put the key in, start the engine, and lock it with the fob. Yours may be programmed differently or it could be a weak fob battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2011, so not the same car.

I can put the key in, start the engine, and lock it with the fob. Yours may be programmed differently or it could be a weak fob battery.
I wonder if it has to do with which key I have in the ignition. I have one that was made at the dealership and one that wasn’t. I’ll try it with the other one and see

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the blade type keys. I have one in the ignition and the car is running.
I am sitting in the car.
I press the lock button. All 4 doors lock.
I pull on the inside handle on the driver door TWICE and it opens.

I close the driver door from the outside. I use the other key to lock that door from the outside by turning the blade in the lock towrd the rear of the car. Then I use that key to unlock. I don't recall if I can use the remote FOB to open or not, but I use the blade to open the door to get back in.

Do you have remote start?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the blade type keys. I have one in the ignition and the car is running.
I am sitting in the car.
I press the lock button. All 4 doors lock.
I pull on the inside handle on the driver door TWICE and it opens.

I close the driver door from the outside. I use the other key to lock that door from the outside by turning the blade in the lock towrd the rear of the car. Then I use that key to unlock. I don't recall if I can use the remote FOB to open or not, but I use the blade to open the door to get back in.

Do you have remote start?
I don't have remote start but I was able to lock it with the physical blade in the door, just not the fob. Not 1000% ideal but definitely better than the car getting stolen because it was unlocked

1 - 5 of 5 Posts