Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a locking gas cap for the 08 'bu?

I want something that I can just walk into an auto supply store and buy. I don't want some $30 cap from a dealer.

Anyone know of any specific brands and model #s?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks as though there are a couple of choices for direct replacement locking fuel tank caps.

Stant part number 10511

Gates part number 31844

I'm pretty sure that Meijer carries Stant, but I don't know if they will have that specific part number.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It looks as though there are a couple of choices for direct replacement locking fuel tank caps.

Stant part number 10511

Gates part number 31844

I'm pretty sure that Meijer carries Stant, but I don't know if they will have that specific part number.
Are the caps listed above made specifically for a malibu or Chevy? Do they provide the proper venting and back pressure? If so I'm interested.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From what I have been reading lately, most if not all modern cars have anti-siphoning mechanisms built-in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Stant website still doesn't provide a proper part number for the new Malibu. Until I can get one, I'm not going to do anything.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From what I have been reading lately, most if not all modern cars have anti-siphoning mechanisms built-in.
In Deeetroit, thieves are using another method to steal gas... they poke a large hole in the gas tank itself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In Deeetroit, thieves are using another method to steal gas... they poke a large hole in the gas tank itself.
I've read about that too, therefore a locking gas cap is a waste of money... Poking holes in gas tanks is risky, especially if you make a spark!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've read about that too, therefore a locking gas cap is a waste of money... Poking holes in gas tanks is risky, especially if you make a spark!
Are you kidding me? That's insane, have not heard anything like that up here in Canada.

Spark and KABOOM! Wow, that is daring....I guess some are just really hard up. What a PIA it would be if someone did that to have your whole tank need to be replaced....I doubt you would want to have it just repaired as it would probably be cheaper just to get a new one put it.

WOW - The things people will do save money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you think there are any difference in the gas cap for 08 and 10? I can't believe there isn't a locking fuel door on this car. Trying to figure out the next best thing, and purchase a locking gas cap for my 2010, but Stant only has it for the 08 model..

·
CMF Veteran Member
1,417 Posts
Trying to figure out the next best thing, and purchase a locking gas cap for my 2010, but Stant only has it for the 08 model..
I have a CST 5903 ($23 @ AutoZone) on my '10. I think ACDelco 12F40L or Stant 10511/11511 will fit the filler neck but may be too tall and thus interfere with the fuel door. The only problem with the CST cap is that you have to have the lock cylinder in the unlocked position to losen as well as tighten the cap which can be a hassle. I find that it's best to remove the key in the unlocked position before turning the cap in either direction.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,203 Posts
I used to have locking gas caps on my vehicles but a buddy pointed out that a thief will do a lot more damage to the body in order to pry it off than the cost of replacing the gas. I don't want to be victimized any more than the next guy but it made sense (cents? ;)) to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No one here has had a borderline psycho ex girlfriends? For me, it's not really about gas theft protection, but protection against damage to the engine caused by pouring whatever harmful substance into the gas tank. It's for peace of mind. Thanks Starship, I'll be looking into the CST 5903. So basically, everyone on this forum is okay with the Malibu not having a lock for the gas tank door?

·
CMF Veteran Member
1,417 Posts
No one here has had a borderline psycho ex girlfriends? For me, it's not really about gas theft protection, but protection against damage to the engine caused by pouring whatever harmful substance into the gas tank. It's for peace of mind. Thanks Starship, I'll be looking into the CST 5903. So basically, everyone on this forum is okay with the Malibu not having a lock for the gas tank door?
I too am more worried about vandals putting something into the tank (sugar, alcohol, acetone, vinegar or stronger acids, etc.) that will get me stranded somewhere awful. Any self respecting thief has to know that siphoning gas is not possible with late model cars. A locking fuel door sounds nice until you find it all iced up in the winter. I suppose the lack of one doesn't bother me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.