Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying an 08 LTZ in pretty good shape for the year especially for a state with a lot of snow.

Has 132,000 miles. Anything I should be alarmed for or pay more attention to? I heard they are pretty solid cars until at least 200,000 miles but maybe I am wrong.

I appreciate any help.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
Also check VIN with dealer for any other recalls or TSBs as the early models had issues that were mostly ironed out in later models:
1. 3-5-R wave plate (transmission part)
2. EPS and coil pack (4-cylinder only, since 3.6L V6 has hydraulic PS)
3. Steering intermediate shaft
4. Driver's seat frame welds
5. Sunroof drain tubes

There may be more, so possibly others will chime in.

Overall they're a pretty decent car, but maintenance and how they were used, as always, will be a telling factor. I own my 3rd at this time. 1st was '09 traded at 20K miles for '11 that was lost to flood at 44K miles. Bought another '11 with 56K miles, which is my current ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently no recalls on this VIN. I am torn between this car which I like just the mileage worries me. I am also looking at a 2007 Saturn Aura XE with 82,000 miles. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
The Saturn line of vehicles was wholly owned by GM, the same as Pontiac, Buick, Chevrolet, GMC Truck, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac. (There may be others...) Saturn Aura is the same as the Chevy Malibu except for lights, body panels, and a few other minor details.

Older car but 50K fewer miles. Again, how were they put on, and how maintained?

Also, what engine in each? What transmission?

The 3.5L V6 is/was a pushrod - very sturdy and dependable. The 3.6L V6 like I have is a DOHC that is a bit more delicate but gets better mileage and is rated at a higher HP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure about how they were maintained as they are used with no records so this is something we will never know.

The Saturn does have the 3.5 liter in it and not sure on the tranny I believe it has the 4 speed. I know the XR has the better tranny over the XE. I only plan to keep whichever vehicle for 2 years. The mileage does concern me however both body's are in great shape which leads to me believe someone took care of both. I am leaning towards the Malibu only because I have heard bad things regarding the tranny in the Saturn.

I need to decide by Friday. I did see the Malibu will get better fuel mileage. It has the 3.6 in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I find out if this 3-5-r wave plate has been fixed on this car? If it hasn't should I clearly not purchase it with 133,000 miles as I assume it may cause me some problems.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
Get the VIN and check with GM or a dealer. Ask to see a copy of the paperwork if they say it has been taken care of, just so you can put it in your file if/when you sell the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called GM they said that VIN has only had one recall and they claimed that car wasn't affected by the transmission issue. Not sure how true that is. It was a fleet vehicle and all maintenance was recorded according to Car Fax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts