Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2017 Malibu and while working on the oil pan I misplaced one of the lower oil pan bolts that face toward the front of the car and can’t for the life of me find it. It’s been a week so I am writing it off but I want to replace it and can’t seem to find the size of the bolts anywhere online. Needing lower oil pan bolts not the drain plug size.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,023 Posts
If one of the other bolts to the oil pan is the same size, you can use that when you go to a hardware store like Tractor Supply.

· Registered
2020 Malibu
72 Posts
Go to a dealership and get one. Yes it will cost 2 to 10x what a similar screw from a hardware store will cost, but the dealership will likely have it on hand, and it will be the correct screw to use. Correct thread, correct length, correct coating(s), correct head size, correct strength. GM vehicles use metric fasteners pretty much exclusively. The screws and bolts used by automakers are typically different from anything you can purchase at a hardware store. The biggest and most common difference is that metric srews purchased form a hardware store will have a much larger head than what the automakers are using. For example, most M6 fasteners used by auto companies have a head that requires an M8 or M9 hex driver, while stuff from a hardware store will have an M10 hex head. M8 - auto company typically M10 driver while hardware store will have much larger head that is M13 hex.

· Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,596 Posts
The dealer will probably only have the bolts as a kit with the lower pan. By the book the pan is not reusable since it has sealer on it.

· Premium Member
3,445 Posts
I doubt the dealer will have pan bolts in stock as I don't think they would be a torque to yield type of fastener. I'd be very surprised if they stocked them. As said, I would pull one out and do a match up locally.

Reactions: MrConley
1 - 6 of 6 Posts