Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of looking for a used malibu somewhere between the years of 2008-2011. In either Black or Grey with less then 50K miles. Leather or vinyl seats. 17K is my price limit.

Is there anything I should know about these cars? Any problems with certain years? any modifications made only on the newer models. 2LT Vs. LTZ basically.

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
1,678 Posts
I am sure you can find a nice used car for that price. You can find a lot of the common problems with these cars on here, but that doesn't mean every one of them has the same issue. Mine has been very reliable with 74,000 miles on it now, but some aren't as lucky. Both the 2.4L 4 cyl and the 3.6L v6 are reliable engines and are very close, from comparisons on here, in gas mileage. So, if you are looking for more power the v6 would be the way to go, but the 4 cyl is not a bad choice either. The 2008 models seem to have a lot more problems when compared to newer ones, so personal opinion there is to go for 2009 and up.

As far as differences between the 2LT and the LTZ, off the top of my head, is the LTZ has different taillights(LED), leather interior, 18" aluminum wheels, and automatic climate control. The 2LT has suede inserts with leather trimmed seats, 18" aluminum wheels (different style) and chromtec wheels(plastic chrome covered wheels), manual climate control, and regular incandescent bulb taillights. I am pretty sure there is more, but that is all I can think of right now. Both trim levels are nice it just depends on what options you want. I am pretty sure there were only minor differences between years. You can't really go wrong either way. Good luck on your search!

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Some of the 2008's also had 4-speed automatics, some had 6-speeds. 2009-up have the 6-speed.

The 6-speed has a "manual shift" feature. For 2008-2010 there were 2 shift paddles on the steering wheel. For 2011-2012 there is a single button on the side of the shift knob.

(BTW, I was at a dealer yesterday and actually saw/touched a 2013. The shift button in on top of the knob! I think that's more better. :))

For 2008-2009 the outside mirror control is on the triangular "sail panel" next to the mirror. For 2010-2012 it was moved to the window switch panel, and the door lock switch was moved to the door cup next to the pull.

2008 has a fender-mounted turn signal repeater. Discontinued after '08.

2008 LTZ has moveable pedals. Discontinued after '08.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Adding 2 cents here about the LTZ/2LT comparison (valid for 2011 model year)...

LTZ has foglamps standard, 2LT does not
6 way power passenger seat in the LTZ
Bose radio standard in LTZ, option in 2 LT
110 volt outlet standard in LTZ
Rear window shade in LTZ

I think 2010 LTZ and earlier had a homelink rearview mirror (remote garage door opener), the 2011 and later does not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys. You have no idea how much that helps.

Im just going to keep looking till i find the one i love.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
Just be sure to buy a V6.

·
Registered
44 Posts
YES! I was definitely confused over what to buy, but the v6 is the way to go. The car is heavy and the added power from the v6 is just great. Nice, smooth ride and fast acceleration. I got the LT1 package and I saved some money. I plan on installing chrome door handles this week(really simple) and then adding some fog lights and new rims :) I'm sure I might find some extra mods to do too. You'll love the car :) It's a great ride! Just got mine on the 4th and I love it

I have to take some new pictures, I spent all day today claying, polishing, waxing and making her look sexy and shiny. This was the day I got her from the dealership

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
LTZ has automatic dimming rear view (& side mirrors?) standard (an option earlier than '12?). The 2LT has the dimming rear view standard, but not side mirrors. I don't recall either of these being mentioned.

If you can settle without all the bells and whistles or potentially the V6, you'll be able to get a newer, lower mileage vehicle. There were also special packages available throughout the years which can get you extra features for less $$. My '12 1LT has the All-Star Package which came with the Chrome Tech 18" wheels, "chrome" door handles, Bluetooth, power drivers seat, and remote start. Something to consider in your searches.

Good luck, and whatever you decide on post up some pics!!

·
Banned
2,089 Posts
YES! I was definitely confused over what to buy, but the v6 is the way to go.
For you, that was the perfect choice.

For others, (me included) the 4 was the right match.

A prospective buyer needs to drive both, weigh ALL the differences, not just additional power and make the right choice for HIM/HER.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES! I was definitely confused over what to buy, but the v6 is the way to go. The car is heavy and the added power from the v6 is just great. Nice, smooth ride and fast acceleration. I got the LT1 package and I saved some money. I plan on installing chrome door handles this week(really simple) and then adding some fog lights and new rims :) I'm sure I might find some extra mods to do too. You'll love the car :) It's a great ride! Just got mine on the 4th and I love it

I have to take some new pictures, I spent all day today claying, polishing, waxing and making her look sexy and shiny. This was the day I got her from the dealership

the only thing holding me pack from a 1LT is most i find do not have leather seats. thats a must have for me. i have cloth in my current car and i need a change badly.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
LTZ has automatic dimming rear view (& side mirrors?) standard (an option earlier than '12?). The 2LT has the dimming rear view standard, but not side mirrors. I don't recall either of these being mentioned.

If you can settle without all the bells and whistles or potentially the V6, you'll be able to get a newer, lower mileage vehicle. There were also special packages available throughout the years which can get you extra features for less $$. My '12 1LT has the All-Star Package which came with the Chrome Tech 18" wheels, "chrome" door handles, Bluetooth, power drivers seat, and remote start. Something to consider in your searches.

Good luck, and whatever you decide on post up some pics!!
Driver's outside mirror has auto-dim on '08 LTZ. Discontinued for '09.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Driver's outside mirror has auto-dim on '08 LTZ. Discontinued for '09.
Roger that. They should have kept that feature.

I really would like to upgrade to that some day if it's at all possible and heated mirrors. What a difference both those make to the driver...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
@b.donnelly2, if you have not done so already, you can visit the GM certified used vehicles site. This site will allow you to input the amount of what you want to spend and the model years that you are seeking. Then you will be able to view the vehicles within the dealership's inventory.

www.gmcertified.com

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just found a

2010 Black Chevy Malibu 4Cylinder LTZ
Black Leather, Sun Roof, 38K Miles

For $16,900. good deal?

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
Just found a

For $16,900. good deal?

I think it's overpriced.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
@b.donnelly2, Have you visited the Kelly Blue Book site to see what they are rating the going price/value for the vehicle? This might help you with your search.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just found a

For $16,900. good deal?
I don't think $16,900 is too bad.. I just got a 2010 white Malibu 6 cylinder LTZ for $18,900. Its got every option possible and 36k miles..

·
Registered
44 Posts
For you, that was the perfect choice.

For others, (me included) the 4 was the right match.

A prospective buyer needs to drive both, weigh ALL the differences, not just additional power and make the right choice for HIM/HER.

I agree that the decision is all up to him/her. It would be wise to test drive them both. I'm just stating as to why a v6 works better for me and I think in general. That's my opinion. More power makes for a better ride to me. Especially when the gas mileage is so close, might as well go for the v6. But hey it's whatever works for that individual. Some people might want a few miles extra in gas and rather not have the extra power. I can dig it. Nothing wrong with that.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
13 Participants
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing