Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a new 2009 malibu lt1, however I came across what I think is an awesome deal on a 2008 malibu lt1. The dealer wants $17250, has 15k miles. From what they tell (and the pics) everything is in excellent condition.

For new, the lowest I got was $21500. For a $4000 difference the 2008 is looking much nicer.

$17250 is a good deal? The only thing it doesnt have is the two-tone cloth and the bluetooth.

Is there a way to install the bluetooth later? I heard some dealers can 'upgrade' the onstar to allow bluetooth in the 2008 models? Can someone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
That really isn't that great of a deal, for a car that's a year older, used, has half the bumper to bumper warranty baked, etc. You have to think of it that way.

If they're both 1LT's, there should be no difference visually either except for the lack of side markers on the '09. Factory Bluetooth cannot be added, but it IS now being installed on new ordered 1LT's as part of the Power Convenience Package (was a late intro for 1LT's), so I'd chalk that up to another benefit of the '09--get one that just came off the line, in your exact colors and specs, with Bluetooth, and no miles. That few grand, while it seems like a nice chunk, may not really be worth it in the end given the benefits of new.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here is the vehicle I was looking at:

2008 Malibu

So $17,250 is too high? They wanted to give me $8000 for my 2004 Mazda6i with 59k miles. I owe $4950 on the mazda. I would be financing $14200. Bringing the payment to $262 month for 72 months with $0 down.

For a new Malibu 1LT what price should I be aiming for? I have a local dealer that won't go any lower than $21500 on theirs, and another dealer at $22000. That's a little out of my reach.

Right now im only paying $150/month on my Mazda so keeping my payment lower is a priority. Though I could put $2k down.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I know this is counter-productive for this site, but why not just keep the Mazda? I know, the Malibu is an amazing piece of art and hardware, but it is just 4 years old. That's not too bad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, about 200 miles after my 50k mile warranty the engine blew. I had long talks with mazda corp. before they decided to take care of the costs. Which was over $5000. Reading up on my model, this was a known problem that mazda doesn't want to recognize.

They put a remanufactured engine in, with 12000 mile or a year warranty. The warranty is almost up. So, do I wait and keep the car to see it happen again? Knowing there is a flaw with these engines? Plus the mazda6 drives AWFUL in the snow. My wife's Mazda3 drives great in the same weather. So with those two things that's why it has made me looking at other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Still, I say go 2009 and new. Or at least used even less and for a better price.

That white 1LT is STUNNING (of course, I am biased...), BUT in addition to being used with half the bumper to bumper warranty--except for the drivetrain--cooked, it's also an ex rental. First thing I noticed was the lack of antenna on the back of the roof, meaning no XM or Onstar and that it was an ex rental/fleet vehicle as such. Of course, the Carfax clearly states that too, but there's another iffy sign and also lack of features.

It's a toss up, with me still leaning towards a you can do better vote.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well i would also look at a new mazda 6 there are discounts and a loyatly rebate and if you join www.worldcarting.com you get employee pricing and gettin on mazda mailing list you will recieve 1000 rebate on the 6 the new 6 starts at 19220.00 and there is 3.9% for 60 months also. not trying to get you to not buy a malibu. but since your finances are limited i am throwing this out too. also if you join www.penfed.org you can get 4.75% financing on new or used. for up to 72months. look all options over and in the end it is your call and your money. just tyring to be helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 2004 Mazda6 wagon and agree with you that they are terrible in the snow. However I think that is more a function of the 17" low profile tires mine came with. I never heard about the 2.3l engine having a problem. That is the same engine that is in your Mazda3.

The 2009 Mazda6 has a new 2.5l engine BTW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info regarding the penfed.org and the missing onstar for that vehicle. I didn't know that. I asked the dealer about adding bluetooth, they would add a 3rd party device for an extra $650. I told him no way.

I would love to get a new 2009, there is one in my dealer's lot 5 miles from me that i'm drooling over, however they won't go any lower than $21,583 (its a lt1). Though there is a user on here that can give away one employee discount per month. Would that considerably lower the price? The dealer already told me the $21583 is $500 under invoice. I still think they could do better, right?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding the penfed.org and the missing onstar for that vehicle. I didn't know that. I asked the dealer about adding bluetooth, they would add a 3rd party device for an extra $650. I told him no way.

I would love to get a new 2009, there is one in my dealer's lot 5 miles from me that i'm drooling over, however they won't go any lower than $21,583 (its a lt1). Though there is a user on here that can give away one employee discount per month. Would that considerably lower the price? The dealer already told me the $21583 is $500 under invoice. I still think they could do better, right?
Employee price is a percentage under invoice, and probably close to your $500 under invoice.

If you want to know exactly, go here and search for the car in the local inventory at the dealer and it will give you sticker and employee/GMS price:

http://www.gmbuypower.com/index.jsp?&partnerId=900003&userType=GMFF

And if you're at all curious what Supplier is, the current pricing offered via the Red Tag event on all GM vehicles, that is here:

http://www.gmbuypower.com/index.jsp?&partnerId=510023&userType=GMSUPPLR

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I test drove a new '09 last night and was really impressed by the ride. Alot nicer than the new altimas.

My parents have $950 in rewards points from their GMAC card, and just got a $1500 coupon from GM on a new car. Though it's not transferrable to me, the dealership said that if they put the car in both our names, then we can use this on top of the red-tag price.

$21,083 red tag
-$2450 extra incentives

$18633

I can't beat this price. Though I am waiting to hear from them on what they are going to give me as a trade.

The thing is, this '09 1LT does not have bluetooth, even though it has the power convience package. On the sticker it just said remote start and 6 way power seat. Turning on the radio and going through the options I did not see any bluetooth options.

The '08 LT1 with 15k miles, they want $17250. They are willing to give $8k trade in on my mazda6.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
That's fantastic, and much better than the '08 if you can get the same for your trade.

As for the Bluetooth, it would need to have been built this month or later according to the ordering guide for that to be there, as it was a very recent addition to the 1LT's Power Convenience Package.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another option if your parents don't want to put it in their name is to transfer it to your name after you initially put it in both your names. Most state allow you to transfer between related parties at no cost.

If you are financing the Malibu it gets a little trickier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the dealer called, the one w/ the 2009 and they only want to give me $6500 for my trade, so that just about wipes out my extra incentives. $6500 is way under the kbb value of that car. If they can't meet the 8000 for my trade, then i'm going to have to go w/ the used.

Does the 2008 have traction control and the stability like the 2009 does? What difference is there between the two?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Aside from some new color options, the 2008 and 2009 are identical except for a few minute characteristics. The 2008 has the turning side lamps, which I absolutely love, but the 2009 no longer has them. Some 2008 models also have adjustable foot pedals, which the 2009 does not.

The 2009 does have Bluetooth connectivity, which is a big plus for those businessmen(women) and also has a few more interior options.

I can't think of much more than that, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.