Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The majority of the time when I or the wife are engaging the emergency brake itll make a loud clunk and then go all the way to the floor and we have to release it and reset it for it to actually engage.

Did anybody else have this problem? The dealer has looked at it twice and cant figure out what is going on with it. Theyve adjusted the pedal both times and after a few uses itll do it. The hard part is that its almost impossible to tell when its going to do it. It just does it randomly.

Just seeing if anybody else has had a problem like this.

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Amarillo is pretty flat. Used to live in Lubbock and traveled there often.

However, we use it pretty often here. Our apt complex has a slight incline where we park so its better to use it than the transmission in my mind.

· Premium Member
344 Posts
Agreed, if I was to park on inclines I would certainly start using it to keep the strain off the tranny. I will try mine tomorrow to see if I get any noises... Hope it will release. LOL.
It sounds like there is a ratcheting mechanism that is not working properly.

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did it again tonight. Finally was home to get pictures of the pedal on the floor to prove to the dealership that there is something wrong.

The pedal is about 1/2" off the floor. Normally, its about 5".

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Did it again tonight. Finally was home to get pictures of the pedal on the floor to prove to the dealership that there is something wrong.

The pedal is about 1/2" off the floor. Normally, its about 5".
Is that really wrong? I mean I haven't used mine, but I have had cars that were that low. The brake is adjustable via a cable under the car. At least that is how they were.

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go try to do yours. I bet it will be about 4" off the floor.

Something miscatches with ours and the pedal slams down to the floor. Its like it doesnt grab the brake cable. We have to release the pedal and then re-engage it.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Go try to do yours. I bet it will be about 4" off the floor.

Something miscatches with ours and the pedal slams down to the floor. Its like it doesnt grab the brake cable. We have to release the pedal and then re-engage it.
Yeah, mine is further away then that. Man that thing sucks. I like the console ones or the ones next to the seat so much better.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,155 Posts
I have a friend with an '09 Mustang and manual transmission. It has the parking brake between the seats as a traditional handbrake. He parked on a slight incline in his driveway, set it and got out, just like he'd done a number of times before. When the door shut the brake released and his car started rolling down his driveway. It finally came to rest when it struck is old truck but his driver's mirror was deftly removed by his house! Seems like parking brake issues aren't exclusive to GM. I hope you get yours corrected.

· Registered
490 Posts
I have a friend with an '09 Mustang and manual transmission. It has the parking brake between the seats as a traditional handbrake. He parked on a slight incline in his driveway, set it and got out, just like he'd done a number of times before. When the door shut the brake released and his car started rolling down his driveway. It finally came to rest when it struck is old truck but his driver's mirror was deftly removed by his house! Seems like parking brake issues aren't exclusive to GM. I hope you get yours corrected.
Your friend's an idiot for not putting his car in gear.

· Registered
490 Posts
Many companies don't recommend you do that anymore. It is not always good for the shift forks.
I've never heard that before, nor would I follow it. If your e-brake isn't fully engaged your car will roll like this guy's friend's did. I'll keep it in gear regardless. I don't see how keeping it in gear when parked is any different then when driving.

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I've never heard that before, nor would I follow it. If your e-brake isn't fully engaged your car will roll like this guy's friend's did. I'll keep it in gear regardless. I don't see how keeping it in gear when parked is any different then when driving.
Many put it in or take it out of gear when the car isn't running. Dry shifting is not good for the shift forks at all. I guess some of the transmission companies picked up on this. Many owners manuals used to say put the car in gear, now new ones just omit this. I sometimes put my car in gear, sometimes I don't. Usually depends on where I park and how long it will be there.

· Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took it to the dealer this morning and plainly said that I wont take the car back until it is fixed. Its just that annoying.

Sure enough, an hour later they call and tell me they have found out what is wrong. The part that grabs the parking brake cable is bent/broke and gives away every so often. The tech said that he could recreate the problem every time when he moved the broken part. Its amazing what a competent dealer can do.

New parking brake pedal on order!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.