Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 2.0T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little comparison of lowered vs stock height for anyone looking to lower 8th Gen on coilovers.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
It's so low that it sprouted dual exhaust tips just to make sure it got out from under the car!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,407 Posts
Man, there's lowered and then there's sliding on the ground. :ROFLMAO:

How much suspension travel do you have at that height?

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 2.0T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, there's lowered and then there's sliding on the ground. :ROFLMAO:

How much suspension travel do you have at that height?
It’s really not that bad lol. I keep the dampers close to the softest setting. I’m an early 40’s truck driver, and it’s not uncomfortable for me and my wife hasn’t complained yet. 😂

I’ve got like 4.5 inches of clearance underneath at the lowest point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That looks great! You're making me second guess my decision to go Vogtlands. That's a liveable amount of ground clearance, I'm planning to have about 4" under the wagon.

Reactions: Treefork

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 2.0T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you guys might find this amusing but I found out today I went so low I can’t get onto the conveyor at my local carwash. 😂. The one I have a 6 month pass at and go through about 4x a week.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That looks great! You're making me second guess my decision to go Vogtlands. That's a liveable amount of ground clearance, I'm planning to have about 4" under the wagon.
How do you like your Vogtlands? I have them also and they are not what I would call harsh, but very bouncy. When hitting bumps the front end feels almost like it's doing a wheelie.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
did you have to change your shocks/struts as well with your springs???...ahhh...I thought these were the stock spring replacements for the European Opel Insignia version...

good luck with your car.

Bill

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LTZ 2LZ 2.0T
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you have to change your shocks/struts as well with your springs???...ahhh...I thought these were the stock spring replacements for the European Opel Insignia version...

good luck with your car.

Bill
Everything was changed I put coilovers on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How do you like your Vogtlands? I have them also and they are not what I would call harsh, but very bouncy. When hitting bumps the front end feels almost like it's doing a wheelie.
I haven't installed mine yet, probably won't install until Nov/Dec. I'll be running ACDelco struts/shocks for a 2011-17 Regal with all new mounts, insulators, etc, and will replace all worn bushings. I'll also be on 245/50r16 with the stock wheels, I sure hope it doesn't feel like the front comes off the ground, Louisiana roads are constant bumps/expansion joints.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
I'll toss this in for consideration.

In June 2015 I lowered my 2011 V6 1.4 inches using Eibach springs. My first attempt failed when I couldn't get the nut off the stock strut on the driver's side. I ordered all the parts from Rock Auto to build my own in lieu of ordering a stock replacement and having to toss the springs. It was about the same money, but it allowed me to get "better" shocks. I got a pair of KYB that I thought were 1 or 2 levels of quality better than OE, thinking they'd ride nicely and last a long time. The ride suffered a lot more than I had imagined! @Speed_Freak5150 lowered his using stock springs and said that the ride improved, as did his mileage. I wish I had gone with the softer OE-type shocks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven't installed mine yet, probably won't install until Nov/Dec. I'll be running ACDelco struts/shocks for a 2011-17 Regal with all new mounts, insulators, etc, and will replace all worn bushings. I'll also be on 245/50r16 with the stock wheels, I sure hope it doesn't feel like the front comes off the ground, Louisiana roads are constant bumps/expansion joints.
Good call with the delcos. The shocks come with mounts and it was so awful to get the mounts off the shocks because they sit in the wheel well and just get caked with dirt.

Struts came apart with no issue and I reused the mounts. They were perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts