Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the LTZ and was set on a 6 cylinder. Drove a 4 cylinder last night and not sure now. Would love to hear opinions. Chrome wheels on the 4 are sweet. Obviously it is mpg vs. hp, not sure the 4 would be enough hp. Thanks for any opinions.
Also, are there GM supplier coupons available on 2008s? 2009s? Jbucki

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing - like the red jewell. Any opinions on this or other colors is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the v6, love the power and I don't have a big commute everyday. Obviously, if you're going to have a long commute to work everyday with it, then I would probably get the four. I think the red is an awesome color, but you know what they say - 'arrest me red'. Also, they do have a chrome cast wheel (accessory tab-wheels on chevy website) for the malibu.

18-Inch, Ten-Spoke Cast Chrome Wheels
The 18-inch, ten-spoke wheels feature a lustrous finish and will fit Malibu models with 17- and 18-inch factory wheels. Validated to GM specifications, the wheels are available with matching center caps and lug nuts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
jb:

For choosing a color (interior & exterior) you really need to see the car in person. On the build-it web pages some of the colors are way off. Also some of the colors actually look very different between sun and shade. Show room lights are also very decieving. Find the web site that list each dealer's inventory then visit those with the colors your interested in.

The red jewel is a nice deep red. Though I'm not a red type of guy. Depending on your time schedule the '09 models are adding a new light green color.

I have the 4cyl/6sp LTZ. The mpg is great on the highway, (I can easily out do the sticker number). However the off highway mpg does suffer as it seems the engine does need to rev fairly high to make up for the power difference. I do about 90% highway for commuting so it works out well for me. From the info on some of these other threads it seems the 6cyl does well for mpg on mixed driving. If your commute is near 50% highway then it might be a toss up between the 4 or 6 for overall mpg.

Before I bought I drove both the 4 and 6. You can feel the difference when you punch the pedal. The 4cyl still does well in acceleration, not slugish at all, you just don't get the extra G's pushing you back into the seat, instead you feel a few more shifts.

Good Luck,

DrD

·
Registered
512 Posts
The 2.4L ECOTEC I-4 is a great engine. It'll supply you with enough power and at the same time great fuel economy, especially with the 6-speed auto.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 2.4L ECOTEC I-4 is a great engine. It'll supply you with enough power and at the same time great fuel economy, especially with the 6-speed auto.
I agree, I test drove this engine/transmission and it was more than enough power to get on the expressway. Unless you are racing people I would take the fuel economy and the price savings and get the 4 cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.