Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 4cyl LTZ. Found out from the dealer that you don't get the original LTZ 18" wheels with the engine down-grade. What's up with that? The larger wheels give a good look from the side

Do they think the 4cyl can't roll the larger wheels or are they too lazy to adjust the odometer calibration?

The other spec's I see with the 4cyl/6sp do not mention the shift buttons. Not that I needed these.

What else would I loose with a 4cyl LTZ?

DrD

·
Registered
795 Posts
When I did a build on the Chevy web site, it looks like there is only one exhaust outlet.
The picture of the 17" Chrome Tech wheel would not open. Have you seen a picture of this wheel? This wheel is not in the Malibu brochure.
I was surprised the 4 cyl cost the same as the 6 cyl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I did a build on the Chevy web site, it looks like there is only one exhaust outlet.
The picture of the 17" Chrome Tech wheel would not open. Have you seen a picture of this wheel? This wheel is not in the Malibu brochure.
I was surprised the 4 cyl cost the same as the 6 cyl.
The 4cyl only needs a single pipe. The dealer said the 4cyl LTZ wheels would be a 5 spoke aluminum version. He didn"t have a picture of them. The 4cyl LTZ's price on most web pages is not yet updated. The dealer I talked with didn't have an actual price either but est'ed about $800-$1k under the 6cyl LTZ. Not great considering that the LT2 6cyl upgrade is about $2k.

Another distribution update lists a new 18"-5 spoke wheel but seems it is a new option only for the 6cyl.

DrD

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 4cyl only needs a single pipe. The dealer said the 4cyl LTZ wheels would be a 5 spoke aluminum version. He didn"t have a picture of them. The 4cyl LTZ's price on most web pages is not yet updated. The dealer I talked with didn't have an actual price either but est'ed about $800-$1k under the 6cyl LTZ. Not great considering that the LT2 6cyl upgrade is about $2k.

Another distribution update lists a new 18"-5 spoke wheel but seems it is a new option only for the 6cyl.

DrD
The dual outlet on the 6 cyl LTZ is more of a styling thing and may give more of a rumble. All Malibus have a single pipe, but the LTZ has two outlets coming out of the muffler.
When will the 4 cyl LTZ be available for order?

·
Registered
326 Posts
The dual outlet on the 6 cyl LTZ is more of a styling thing and may give more of a rumble. All Malibus have a single pipe, but the LTZ has two outlets coming out of the muffler.
That's what I'd like to know. Although with the strike, I'm wondering if this will be pushed back considerably.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's what I'd like to know. Although with the strike, I'm wondering if this will be pushed back considerably.
If they push it back very much you are into summer, then you may have to order a 09.
Not a bad thing if they start having incentives in 09.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the end of Feb I called the number in the back of the malibu brochure. I was told production of the LTZ 4cyl was to start in March. According to the dealer there may have been some made in March but the main customer production starts this month (April). The 4cyl is orderable now. The dealer web site calls it the "Spring Package".

DrD

·
Registered
112 Posts
Leave it to the bean counters at GM to sell a 4 cyl for almost the same price as a 6 cyl and make much more profit.
If it offers the same or better refinement as the 4 cyl - 4sp perhaps it will be more than worth the extra coin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the 4 Cyl. 6sp. will be worth the extra money if it comes in at $800 to $1000 cheaper than the 6 Cyl. LTz. I'm guessing it will offer a more refined feel and get better fuel economy than the 4sp.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I think the 4 Cyl. 6sp. will be worth the extra money if it comes in at $800 to $1000 cheaper than the 6 Cyl. LTz. I'm guessing it will offer a more refined feel and get better fuel economy than the 4sp.
Agreed, but it may be harder to keep the 4cyl in the higher gears to get the additional fuel economy. I think you'll see a lot more up and down shifting.

I'm not an automotive engineer, however. :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed, but it may be harder to keep the 4cyl in the higher gears to get the additional fuel economy. I think you'll see a lot more up and down shifting.

I'm not an automotive engineer, however. :eek:
The trans ratios used for the LTZ 4cyl are adjusted down from that used on the 6cyl. So hopefully it is optimally matched to that engines torque curve.

DrD

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 4cyl/6sp LTZ is now loaded into the dealers cost page. The so called "Spring Package" discounts the basic 6cyl LTZ cost by $1075. A bit more then my dealer's first guess.

DrD

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Chevy site still does not list a price for the Spring Package, so I'm not sure they are making the 4 cyl LTZ or if you can order one yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.