Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a new LTZ for my wife to replace her aging '03 Monte Carlo SS. Lots of highway miles everyday on a rather treacherous road we in NJ like to call the Parkway. It's the Garden State Parkway to our visitors. Acceleration is important on that road, so I like to stick with 6 cyl engines or bigger (I'm also old, so bigger is better in my mind).

I was wondering what everyone thought of the 6cyl in the LTZ compared to the 4cyl. I don't know the difference in curb weights offhand, but I'm expecting a noticeable difference.

I'm also wondering about reliability of both engines. My experience with 4cyl motors is limited, but I'm consistent. I hated all of them I ever owned. I generally found them underpowered (like the '01 or '02 Sebring my wife had) and unreliable (going way back to my '85 Grand Am that popped two head gaskets in 100k miles).

Looking for some serious input as we are planning to spend a couple of days looking and probably purchase before the end of the month (October).

thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 4 cyl isn't that bad if you keep the rpms up. Of course, its not going to be as quick as the 6 cyl motor. I normally dislike small motors but I don't think the malibu is that slow, it quicker than the Buick Rainer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I own the 6 cylinder LTZ and I drove someone else's 4 cylinder Malibu during a vacation and it was a bit scary a couple times merging onto high speed roads with the 4 banger. I really think the car is too fat for the 2.4L but if you don't mind really stepping on it you can adapt to it especially since I was getting about 24-25 mpg with the 2.4L and I get about 19-20 mpg with the 6 (and the six does prefer mid-grade gas). The torque steer with the 6 can be a bit interesting as well; especially up a hill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your getting an LTZ, then a V6 is the way to go. Now if the 4 cyl was turbo charged, then that would be a differwent story. But a V6 will always be better in the long run. Less stress on you & the engine to move a heavy car. Plus, a V6 will always have preferred better resale later should you want to depart with it. My LTZ has a build date of 10/26/09. It's my first Malibu & I've wanted one of these since they came out in it's current design. I hope to have it by my b-day on 11/11. It will be such a nice gift.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If your getting an LTZ, then a V6 is the way to go. Now if the 4 cyl was turbo charged, then that would be a differwent story. But a V6 will always be better in the long run. Less stress on you & the engine to move a heavy car. Plus, a V6 will always have preferred better resale later should you want to depart with it. My LTZ has a build date of 10/26/09. It's my first Malibu & I've wanted one of these since they came out in it's current design. I hope to have it by my b-day on 11/11. It will be such a nice gift.
A V6 may have better resale but you paid more for it up front and paid more for fuel all those years of driving it. So does it really pay off?

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
I like as much power as I can get, and when I test drove a 4 I thought it couldn't get out of it's own way. The 6 is much better, most tests show high 14's in the 1/4 mile which actually is very good for a sedan. I still wish it had another 25 hp or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everyone, im new on here , i have the 4-cylinder in my ltz with the 6 speed trans and its pretty quick

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I would like to have two malibus one with a 4 and of course my 6.:D

http://

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I recently went through a process of trading in a 08 3.6. Getting any kinda fair value was hard. One of the dealers mentioned that V6 is not a good trim to have, however 4s "sell like crazy". So...

I don't know if it's different from region to region. If the car buying population is more on the conservative side V6 may do ok, but here in Toronto, it's not quite the case. Every funky new design (like Nissan Cube, Kia Soul and of course a Smart car) generally can be found parked on a driveway within 1 mile area from where our place. Majority of newer midsize sedans are also 4 cyl. A fair bit of malibu's as well, per, say 5 or more of them only one is a V6. Same with Accords and Camrys.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just my $.02 in response here to the original questions... For you and your wife, V6 without a doubt. If you're asking this kind of question, you already know the answer. You will never be happy the 4cyl. My wife wouldn't even let me test drive the 4cyl, because she knew I too would never be happy with it. However, if you can find a 3.5L with the 4spd I highly recommend it. On second thought you want an LTZ, and I don't believe it was available in anything, but an LT. So, nevermind...

My mother has a 2006 4cyl LT that I drive from time to time. It can hold it's own, and gets decent mileage, but in busy freeway traffic I'll take my V6 any day, and fuel economy isn't that much different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, seems like the majority of you all feel the way I do - the 6 is the way to go. I really expected a larger percentage of 4 cyl fans. Thought some of the "youngens" would tell me how the 6 cyl wasn't green enough! I did drive the 6 the other night and was pleasantly surprised. Decent get up and go even with my 350 lb butt in the driver seat plus the salesman. Trying to get the wife to go drive it now and pick a color. Of the 8 in stock locally none have sold since last weekend and the only difference between any of them is the color and cost.

This means once we make the deal I get to drive the '03 Monte SS as my commuter car, and gets me one step closer to my new Silverado LTZ ext cab / long bed next year.

Thanks for all the input! I'll let you all know how we make out.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Of course, the 4's are cheaper and get better mileage.
Which was the case with pre 04 Malibus, but you hardly see any of those with 4s (2.2 I believe). With more power a modern 4 makes, things like 4 cyl LTZ begin to make sense. 6 seems to become more of a performance thing for those who specifically want it. V6 in a 08-09 Malibu is more than a mere comfy-care- free-merge-with-ease kind of power, it's more of a beast :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I chose the 4cyl partially because I think gas prices might shoot up to $5/gallon in the near future. (We pay more for gas on the left coast.) So every couple MPGs help. If you're not sensitive to gas prices then I agree the 6 is the better option.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, seems like the majority of you all feel the way I do - the 6 is the way to go. I really expected a larger percentage of 4 cyl fans. Thought some of the "youngens" would tell me how the 6 cyl wasn't green enough! I did drive the 6 the other night and was pleasantly surprised. Decent get up and go even with my 350 lb butt in the driver seat plus the salesman. Trying to get the wife to go drive it now and pick a color. Of the 8 in stock locally none have sold since last weekend and the only difference between any of them is the color and cost.

This means once we make the deal I get to drive the '03 Monte SS as my commuter car, and gets me one step closer to my new Silverado LTZ ext cab / long bed next year.

Thanks for all the input! I'll let you all know how we make out.
The 6 (or what ever the biggest engine available is) is always the best way to go if cost and MPGs are not a concern.

As far as the "green" comment.......
I was in argument with my brother in law about this when he said our Rainier was so bad for the environment due to it 17mpg rating. So I asked him how many miles he had on that little car of his that gets 33mpgs ~ 90,000.

Who has polluted more? A person with a '05 SUV that gets 17mpgs and has 41,000 miles or a person with a '05 honda that gets 33mpgs and has 90,000 miles????

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
[QUOTE=closer9; However, if you can find a 3.5L with the 4spd I highly recommend it.

Closer9 why do you prefer the 3.5 over the 3.6? :confused:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, I highly recommend it, because it's a great setup, smooth, powerful and economic... I personally preferred it over the 3.6L, because while it has less power, it gets better fuel economy, and I really didn't like the shifters on the wheel. But best of all it was a free option. Window sticker reads 3.5L V6 $XXX, then down at the bottom 3.5L V6 discount -$XXX (or something like that). So, I get more power, and almost as good fuel economy as the 4cyl for the same sticker price. I couldn't find another car in this class comparably equipped for the same price.

Plus to get the 3.6L (which I would have still been happy to have) I was told I had to step up to the 2LT, which had more options than I really wanted or needed. I got my 1LT with Bluetooth and remote start, and that's all I really need.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
18 Participants
kc2kth
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing