Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 LT and I have the standard red LT tail light housings with aftermarket LED Bulbs within the housings from V-LEDs.com, the LED bulbs within the housing that I have are red V-Stars, so I was wondering if I could purchase the LTZ housings, remove the LED bulbs that I have in the stock housings now and then place the red V-LED v-star LED bulbs inside the LTZ housings and keep the current wiring configuration with the whole led and resistor setup that I have now, so basicly can I put the standard bulb socket that comes with an LT and put it in the tail light Housing of an LTZ? The LTZ housings I am thinking about buying are from http://www.autolightsbulbs.com/2008-Chevy-Malibu-Tail-Light/K1111338.aspx?id=10040350 Will they work with the idea I stated earlier?

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
21,147 Posts
Nope.

The LTZ housings use a smaller hole for the socket than the stock red lens housings do. The LEDs from the stock LTZ setup will fit into the stock red housings, but they'll be loose.

I had the same issue on my '09 2LT - put red LED bulbs in place of the 3157 bulbs. Worked fine, had to simply use load resistors to control the hyper flashing.

If you want the LTZ housings, get them and the Joule LEDs, then find the LTZ wiring harness. It's plug and play once you do. The harness goes from the rear fuse box (left fender, behind opening in carpet) out behind the left housing, then behind bumper skin to the license light and the right housing. Easy to fish. (Don't buy the LT harness - it's for incandescent bulbs. Make sure it's the LTZ harness.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.