Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Im a Noob here, and I have a question that maybe some of you electrical wiz's can help me out with.

I acquired a pair of LTZ tail light assemblies with the LED bulbs. My wife loved the clear tail lights on the LTZ so I went to work and located a pair for her 08 LT2. My question/problem is, the OSRAM LED bulbs have a 4 pin male USCAR plug on them, which is different from the incandesent ones currently on the LT. I have done several searches and only came up with a guy that retrofitted the LTZ OSRAM bulb into his ZO6. He went on to state that the female USCAR plugs are not easy to find. No S*#T!!!!

Surely someone has to have these, I have a USCAR part number, but I have tried to contact them with no succsess. Anyone have any suggestions! With the right plug, I can mahe a harness so I wouldn't have to cut and splice!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never really saw the big deal about changing these lights but I like the fact that you claim your wife wanted them so at least now you can blame her for your troubles!!:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me know how hard this is to do because I was wanting to do this also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you should be able to get the pig tails from a chevy dealer! I did with a lighter and was able to buy one.
A friend of mine with an LT1 got a pair of cut off plugs from an auto salvage yard that was on a national parts locator

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wisconsin, Not only do they look cool but there's a subtle safety aspect to them. They turn on much faster. Incandescent bulbs require 200 ms to come up to brightness. Eliminating this delay means the driver following you can react to your brake lights 200 ms sooner. When you're doing 55 MPH, that's sixteen feet!

Also, it must be cutting edge trend, seems that Ford has incorperated the same OSRAM Joule system used in the LTZ into the 2010 redesigned Stang! I have yet to find the pigtails, although I have found an illustration of what I need. I will include it soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the attachment. What I think I need is listed as number 3.

There is also a harness for a 2008 LTZ, but I don't know if it is the classic LTZ or the new one??? The part number is 25913257. Any dealers out there that can shed some light???

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Rescueu2, where did you get those LTZ tails? i've been interested in getting some for my LT, and my immediate guess was from the chevy dealership directly, but I also assume that to be the more expensive approach. is there any place online you would recommend? thanx :D

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Bump.....Any clues where to get the tail covers and the bulbs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep your old lenses and bulbs! My parents had a Caddy with LED Lights. When they burn out it can cost you hundreds! (from the dealer)

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Just purchase LED replacement bulbs...you can get them on eBay for about $7-8.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Will the bulbs blink fast when the turn signal is activated? I replaced stock bulbs with LEDs in my previous car and because of the electric current going to the LEDs, my car thought my bulbs were out - even though they were working fine. I read on the back package of the LED lamp, and it said you would need some sort of resistor so the car would think the bulbs are stock bulbs.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
You can get bulbs with built in resistors.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ucantcme, I replaced all my bulbs with LED's and had to get two resistors for the tail lights or else you get the hyper flashing which is annoying. After finishing the installation they work fine but the problem with replacing them to LED bulbs is the housing of the lamps are way too clear so it ends up looking cheaper than the stock bulbs. I believe I ended posting some pics of them at night and during the day. Also to replace them you need to file off a bit off the lamp connectors and also a bit in the housing for clearance. The stock ones are too narrow! However there are NO warning signs on the DIC stating bulbs are out. I found a store that does LED conversions and im trying to see if they can make for the malibu some. They usually do Halo rings and can do them for the tails (which would look good) however im thinking of getting them done like the Acura TL. Give it more class.

Here is their work on a Charger:

They could do it for both the main tail lamp housing and also with the backup lamps. So dual rings for both.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I got the tail light lenses today and I need some information. I don't feel like sanding away the sides of the housings to make room for an LED bulb. If possible, I want to make it look 100% identical to an LTZ - No cheap stuff :D.

Anyways, I found out where to get the bulbs from, but what about the "Wire Back" assembly that that website doesn't have for sale?

Any ideas?

Here is the link to the bulbs - http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214638&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2827&groupid=2828&subgroupid=2586&componentid=0&make=6&model=Malibu classic&year=2008&graphicID=CP08620&callout=3&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the tail light lenses today and I need some information. I don't feel like sanding away the sides of the housings to make room for an LED bulb. If possible, I want to make it look 100% identical to an LTZ - No cheap stuff :D.

Anyways, I found out where to get the bulbs from, but what about the "Wire Back" assembly that that website doesn't have for sale?

Any ideas?

Here is the link to the bulbs - http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214638&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2827&groupid=2828&subgroupid=2586&componentid=0&make=6&model=Malibu classic&year=2008&graphicID=CP08620&callout=3&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Thanks in advance!
If you have purchased the LTZ Taillight assembly then your OSRAM LED bulbs will fit perfectly without sanding. The OSRAM LED bulbs however will not fit into the LS or LT all red Tailight housing! Good luck finding a wire back, I never did and gave up. I went to radio shack and bought some metal pins and siliconed them into the bulb, works great. As far as the fast blinking issue, you will have install inline resistors. I have attached a link to a post a guy had done on a Z06 vette, I bought 2 of the resistors from the same place he did, they are about 20.00 for the pair. You only need two, he needed 4 b/c the vette has 4 lights!

I will be truthful, this was a complete pain in the arse, and I don't think I would have done it had I known. On the bright side, no pun intended, They are brighter and more noticeable. I did this when the malibu was brand new to the market, so the parts you need may be available now.

http://xse.com/leres/z06/led.html

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
If you have purchased the LTZ Taillight assembly then your OSRAM LED bulbs will fit perfectly without sanding. The OSRAM LED bulbs however will not fit into the LS or LT all red Tailight housing! Good luck finding a wire back, I never did and gave up. I went to radio shack and bought some metal pins and siliconed them into the bulb, works great. As far as the fast blinking issue, you will have install inline resistors. I have attached a link to a post a guy had done on a Z06 vette, I bought 2 of the resistors from the same place he did, they are about 20.00 for the pair. You only need two, he needed 4 b/c the vette has 4 lights!

I will be truthful, this was a complete pain in the arse, and I don't think I would have done it had I known. On the bright side, no pun intended, They are brighter and more noticeable. I did this when the malibu was brand new to the market, so the parts you need may be available now.

http://xse.com/leres/z06/led.html
OSRAM?

I called my local dealership and they said the "Wire Back" is $72.70/ea and the LED bulbs are $52.42/ea.

There has to be a warehouse that sells these Wire Backs for less than stealership prices.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.