Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Trying to get general opinions. My 2016 LT has only 22,000 miles and 5 yrs since manufacture date. Manual indicates change coolant and brake fluid at the 5 yr point. I asked one mechanic I used in the past and he stated it was too soon. He goes by years and not mileage unless there is an obvious problem.

Another mechanic I trust said to always go by the manual. Which in this case point should be the years. With my last three cars I put on more mileage so it was easier to determine, changed coolant when it read weak. Never changed the brake fluid. Didn't know you should!

Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,297 Posts
Don't bother with the brake fluid until you need brakes. I wouldn't worry about the coolant at that mileage either, unless you're having cooling issues.

Reactions: zbrad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. No one here seems to disagreed. I never had circumstances where my annual mileage was so low before.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
To tell if you might need to replace the brake fluid, which I had never done in any car before (all of them well-used), you get some special litmus paper for brake fluid. If it turns dark purple then it has too much water and/or copper dissolved in it.

To do the job right, though, requires a shop that knows how to do it right and then will. I paid $100 to have my Chevy dealer do it, only to find out that instead of a complete flush, all I got was the brakes being bled. At my request, they dipped another strip into the brake fluid when done and it turned dark purple. It should have stayed pink.

The following year, I bought a hand vacuum pump and did it myself. It's easy: get all the fluid out of the reservoir, slowly fill it with new fluid to keep from mixing it too much, vacuum-bleed each wheel, put the cap on and drive.

·
Registered
2016 1LT 1.5T
85 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the coolant at that mileage either
I agree that the coolant is probably still good at only 22k. However, the corrosion inhibitors break down much faster than the glycol component. For that reason, I plan to change mine at the 5 year point even if the mileage is low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks zbrad for your input, and for the antifreeze link. It was informative. I think I will do my own testing on a regular basis. Read somewhere you can test for corrosion using a multimeter (?). I'm going to investigate that also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
100% follow the manual. If something goes wrong, that mechanic isn’t going to pay for it, you’ll be SOL. I changed my coolant on my 14 2.0 at 5 years. The coolant’s protection additives break down, which is why Chevy recommends 5 years or 150k miles whichever comes FIRST. Go ahead with the fluid change. I changed my brake fluid at 5 years as well just cause it was pretty gross and got new brakes a few months later. Brake fluid in my last few cars were changed every 2-3 years as brake fluid absorbs moisture in the air and has the potential to boil and lose braking ability in warmer months

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Coolant by time or mileage which ever comes first. 5/150 . Zero issues with cooling system on many 200k mile vehicles doing it by that rule.
Every time I do brakes I'll drain/refill brake fluid via the gravity method to avoid bleeding and getting air into the ABS pump which is a pain to bleed. Any clean brake fluid in the system is better than none.
The cost of fluids and a little time to do it is worth it in the long run if your gonna put miles on and run it for the long haul.

Reactions: DrivenDaily
1 - 8 of 8 Posts