Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined up to check on this for my Granny and help her out. She had two keys and two clickers to her 2005 Malibu and lost one of the keys and needs to have another made. I know on my Focus you have to have two keys in order to program a third. Is this the way it is on the Malibus as well? I could get a key off ebay for $10 and have it cut and program it myself as opposed to $100 from a dealership.

Thanks!

Daniel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Daniel - I accidently threw away my car key and remote key fob last week for my 2008 Malibu (I know, kinda stupid . . . ). I needed a second key asap so I bought a cut key at the dealership for $41.00. Used my wife's key to program the new key and I was going again. The dealership wants $60 for the fob. I have not replaced it yet but will soon. Maybe her dealership is selling both the key and the fob for $100. I just went with the key and so far so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daniel - I accidently threw away my car key and remote key fob last week for my 2008 Malibu (I know, kinda stupid . . . ). I needed a second key asap so I bought a cut key at the dealership for $41.00. Used my wife's key to program the new key and I was going again. The dealership wants $60 for the fob. I have not replaced it yet but will soon. Maybe her dealership is selling both the key and the fob for $100. I just went with the key and so far so good.
So I can program a key with just one other working key?

·
Registered
493 Posts
You have a 2005, WHICH ONE, the Epsilon or the N-body? The N-body ran from 97 up to 05 and the Epsilon started in 04 up to 07. The key can be cut by any key shop but the remote has to be programmed by the dealer if you are buyng one that needs programmed. Buy one online and talk to the dealer about programming the remote fob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.